X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides the training?

I’m trying t find if the Guard is the right path for me. I’m current a EMT/Firefighter, I’m also married to a lovely women that will back any decision I make. I already serve my community, but when I see stuff like hurricane sandy, I want to be able to serve my Country. I understand I could be deployed to a hostel environment, and I honestly believe no one wants to see anything like that, especially when they’ve actually seen something that’s life impacting. Although, I’m willing to face it.

My question is, are there actually people who have joined and they just attend drills once a month for 8 years? I mean that’s all great and dandy, but I don’t want to join to just train. In the Fire Department, we may not preach fire safety, but we’re still adrenaline pumped when we get a fire. So if I were to join, could I get sent on mission in L.A. etc. Or is it extremely rare to actually go on what I would call a CALL.
    (Not talking about the war)

Basically an easier question to ask is, what else do you guys do in your states besides just drill on weekends? I feel like i'm missing something. Like If I joined the Guard in the medical field, I imagine I would be able to use my skills.

Another question I have, I would be joining the Guard in Oregon. I have my Oregon EMT License, do any of you know if I would be able to use my EMT in the Military?

Thank you in Advance!
    Last edited by Skylar Morris; November 24th, 2012, 04:00 AM.

Re: Besides the training?

I do not know about your EMT question, but I will try to answer this to the best of my knowledge.

Since September 11th, the National Guard has become a very mobile force. Because of this, deployments are very common now. You should have no trouble going out and about, ESPECIALLY if you pick a high speed job. I would talk to the recruiter in your area and address this concern, as he has access to deployment schedules as well as knowing more about the units around you.

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
      I do not know about your EMT question, but I will try to answer this to the best of my knowledge.

Since September 11th, the National Guard has become a very mobile force. Because of this, deployments are very common now. You should have no trouble going out and about, ESPECIALLY if you pick a high speed job. I would talk to the recruiter in your area and address this concern, as he has access to deployment schedules as well as knowing more about the units around you.
      Please don't.

Comment

Skylar,

The National Guard is happily tasked with local and regional disaster relief both natural and civil in nature. A recent obvious example would be Hurricane Sandy. However, the Oregon Guard would not have "responded" to that. How often is extremely variable, and even then highly dependent on what "job" and unit you end up having within the organization. In my 24 year career, I can think of 5 times that SOME of my state's guard has been locally or regionally deployed in support of a disaster. (Ice Storm of 98, Katrina, Vermont Flooding last year, Hurricane Sandy as examples). In each circumstance, WHO went was very dependent on what was needed. For Katrina we sent an Aviation unit of UH 60s. Vermont got a couple platoons of Horizontal Engineers. I'm not certain how often Oregon's governor has historically called up the Guard...perhaps every year they have large forest fires...(You'd be more likely to know that detail), but ultimately it's not often. Yes. You could sign up for 8 years and never do ANYTHING but train. Or you could go to 3 wars, 2 natural disasters and a civil insurection.

Note: Does the young Reagan remind you guys of anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          Skylar,

The National Guard is happily tasked with local and regional disaster relief both natural and civil in nature. A recent obvious example would be Hurricane Sandy. However, the Oregon Guard would not have "responded" to that. How often is extremely variable, and even then highly dependent on what "job" and unit you end up having within the organization. In my 24 year career, I can think of 5 times that SOME of my state's guard has been locally or regionally deployed in support of a disaster. (Ice Storm of 98, Katrina, Vermont Flooding last year, Hurricane Sandy as examples). In each circumstance, WHO went was very dependent on what was needed. For Katrina we sent an Aviation unit of UH 60s. Vermont got a couple platoons of Horizontal Engineers. I'm not certain how often Oregon's governor has historically called up the Guard...perhaps every year they have large forest fires...(You'd be more likely to know that detail), but ultimately it's not often. Yes. You could sign up for 8 years and never do ANYTHING but train. Or you could go to 3 wars, 2 natural disasters and a civil insurection.

Might be an engineer of some type. Perhaps one from the future.

Comment

Haha! I'm 95% sure he's not, but you've got to chuckle that the posts are...well...similar! One from the future! Hahah! I just peed myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              Please don't.
              You have me hysterical but asked and answered lol. Hey the new troop is motivated and very smart but even Chief gets told to STAY IN YOUR LANE.

Comment

OP, from my Guard time from 98-03, I only did my drills and summer AT. I missed the Utah Olympics but was state activated for 2.5 months ADSW in response to 9/11 called Operation Noble Eagle. I leave Afghanistan and just met some Reservists from Puerto Rico hit the ground.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                  Skylar,

Thank you very much. I believe this is what I want to do. I keep hearing, and seeing people talk about the Army Vs National Guard. I know the Guard is a part time deal, but are there full time duty's as well? Or is that just regular Army?

Comment

Sure there are full time positions but you have to go up through the ranks to get them and it's highly competitive.....

Comment

Working...
                    X