• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waivers

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
    Until they change the policies again

Thank you!
    Well its harder to get rid of a law than it is to put in a law.

Comment

No I didn't give up on The Army National Guard. I was too old on my birthday in August (35) so I decided to stick with The Air Guard. I got a phone call right before going to MEPS from the Army National Guard recruiter that because of the new policy changes I am considered prior service and now I am not too old. But, I would have waited for permission from NGB to physical - which I already had from Air Guard - and since I was already set to go to MEPS, I decided to see how the Air Guard pans out. But, I have a plan B and plan C since medical waivers from the AF and ANG are difficult to get.

(and to anyone who wants to argue with me if I am prior service please don't - the Army National Guard recruiter was told by the NGB that I am)
      I think everyone understood you were non-glossary. My question is how much PS time do you have since you said you were discharged about the first couple of weeks in basic. Does your DEP time count? Were you in hold status for a couple of months? Because if you just have 5 weeks of PS time (your DD214 will state it) then you are near the end of the wire on that too.

Happy Thanksgiving Day. I am on my way home!! I am in Bagram, Afghanistan and should be in Manas in 4 days. Then another four days waiting for my main body to fly out. Another combat deployment (And I doubt it would be the last) completed. I rather take Africom or Kuwait the next time.

It sure feels good to serve your country in the military You really want to experience that type of pride, right?
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Until they change the policies again

Thank you!
        I do have a gripe about how you slam recruiting policies all of the time but just remember if you did everything right the first time, you would not be going through this waiting period. Just feel VERY LUCKY, they even considering you with a waiver. Personally, from everything I read about you; (let me not say). Just because you lost the weight does not mean you will be an acceptable trainee again. There is no guarantee you will make it this second time around.

I am just tired of all the people who have excuses for not completing their first obligation to think they are entitled to a second chance. No, they are not.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post

I am just tired of all the people who have excuses for not completing their first obligation to think they are entitled to a second chance. No, they are not.

Happy Thanksgiving.
          The only two things people are entitled to in life are the guarantee to be free and the chance to make a better life for yourself. Happy Thanksgiving dude and glad to hear you're doing well!

Comment

I do have a gripe about how you slam recruiting policies all of the time but just remember if you did everything right the first time, you would not be going through this waiting period. Just feel VERY LUCKY, they even considering you with a waiver. Personally, from everything I read about you; (let me not say). Just because you lost the weight does not mean you will be an acceptable trainee again. There is no guarantee you will make it this second time around.

Happy Thanksgiving.
            I am glad you are on your way home and I am thankful for your service.

According to the NGB, prior service requirements changed from the old 180 days, MOSQ policy. I am not going to get into it but they looked at my DD214 and NGB 22 and said I am considered prior service and therefor just have to be able to retire with 20 years by the age of 60.

I don't feel entitled to get a second chance but I am hoping I do. I have no doubt that if given a second chance I would make it this time around. I would have made it the first time - I didn't do anything "wrong" the first time around. I was discharged under a policy that no longer exists. That is a whole other story that I don't need to get into. But, I wasn't someone that couldn't hack it, or make the standards, or did something wrong, or was overweight, or any of that. I do feel very lucky that they are considering me for a waiver but I am not sure why you said it that way? I had minor shoulder surgery do to a minor case of instability due to playing sports - it's not like I tore something, or had a major surgery, or committed a crime...My waiver had nothing to do with why I was discharged - I don't even need a waiver for that!

I don't feel entitled to anything. I have had to work hard and fight for everything I have accomplished or wanted in my life. That is why I am so stubborn and I don't give up on something I want!

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving and I am glad you will be home soon!
            Last edited by robinpugs06; November 22nd, 2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
              The only two things people are entitled to in life are the guarantee to be free and the chance to make a better life for yourself. Happy Thanksgiving dude and glad to hear you're doing well!
              No single individual/group is guaranteed freedom, nor are they franchised to opportunity; Hobbs, Locke, Rousseau, and the American pantheon of Founders knew this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by j.c. View Post
                No single individual/group is guaranteed freedom, nor are they franchised to opportunity; Hobbs, Locke, Rousseau, and the American pantheon of Founders knew this as well.
                I was referring to what life in a free society is and what life in the United States can/should be like. I meant that every individual has the right to be free to do as they want as long as they aren't infringing on the rights of others and for opportunity what I meant by that is every can make a better life for themselves by building that life themselves not by taking from others to give to you.

Comment

The only thing in life you are guaranteed is that you will die

Comment

I think everyone understood you were non-glossary. My question is how much PS time do you have since you said you were discharged about the first couple of weeks in basic. Does your DEP time count? Were you in hold status for a couple of months? Because if you just have 5 weeks of PS time (your DD214 will state it) then you are near the end of the wire on that too.

Happy Thanksgiving Day. I am on my way home!! I am in Bagram, Afghanistan and should be in Manas in 4 days. Then another four days waiting for my main body to fly out. Another combat deployment (And I doubt it would be the last) completed. I rather take Africom or Kuwait the next time.

It sure feels good to serve your country in the military You really want to experience that type of pride, right?
                    According to AR 601-210, if an applicant has served 180 days or less, they are considered Glossary NPS. When it comes to re-enlisting, they are often treated as PS. Hence why the new standards apply in this case. As stated before, lots of grey area on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                      According to AR 601-210, if an applicant has served 180 days or less, they are considered Glossary NPS. When it comes to re-enlisting, they are often treated as PS. Hence why the new standards apply in this case. As stated before, lots of grey area on this one!
                      Yup! Which is why I didn't want to start a discussion about it (that worked out well)

Comment

ARNG recruiter said right now (in CT at least) waivers are taking 3 weeks - 3 months
                        ANG recruiter says 1-2 months

We shall see!

Anyone know of anyone that had a waiver approved for shoulder instability that was surgically repaired - no tears, no dislocations, no hardware? Surgery was 14 years ago. Shoulder is now at full range of motion and meets all the military guidelines for range of motion, etc. Current orthopedic consult confirms this as well as the MEPS doctor who put "waiver recommended" on my physical paperwork.

Comment

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving?! Hopefully those of us waiting for waivers will hear some good news soon Keep us posted

Comment

My waiver was approved - went to MEPS 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I will be swearing into the Air National Guard probably next week. Next hurdle - security clearance

Good luck everyone else waiting - keep us updated!

Comment

My waiver was approved - went to MEPS 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I will be swearing into the Air National Guard probably next week. Next hurdle - security clearance

Good luck everyone else waiting - keep us updated!
                              Congrats! Unless you have something crazy in your past, it's smooth sailing from here!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                                Congrats! Unless you have something crazy in your past, it's smooth sailing from here!
                                Just my bad credit (due to layoffs) which I am working on. Security investigator said if you have a legitimate reason for the bad debt (losing a job) and a plan on how you are working on it then that is a positive. I have paid off my little bills and I am enrolled in a debt consolidation program that I started in August to show that all my bad debt is included and that I am making monthly payments to pay it all off. Also, I am getting a $20,000 bonus - $10,000 paid after BMT and Tech School and I am going to use that finish paying off the bad debt. So - that is my plan, we will see if that is acceptable. Other then that my background is clean!

Comment

Working...
                                X