Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deploying in the NG while in College (California)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying in the NG while in College (California)

So as the title states, I'm concerned about how deployment works in the NG. I have heard from another member on this forum that his deployment had as a result forced him to reapply for his college. Also, where does that leave you? When you are deployed, how does this affect your schooling? Wouldn't you be very behind in your class or be paying for your tuitions whilst you were deployed? Or is there some other factor that I'm unaware of? I currently live in California and plan on enlisting here as well.

Re: Deploying in the NG while in College (California)

This is 2012 so you will know about a year out if you get deployed. The days of being mobilized and leaving in 30 days for the MOB station are history. I haven't found a college that wouldn't take Uncle Sam's College money when you return. On another note who says you will deploy!

Comment

Originally posted by bchan View Post
      So as the title states, I'm concerned about how deployment works in the NG. I have heard from another member on this forum that his deployment had as a result forced him to reapply for his college. Also, where does that leave you? When you are deployed, how does this affect your schooling? Wouldn't you be very behind in your class or be paying for your tuitions whilst you were deployed? Or is there some other factor that I'm unaware of? I currently live in California and plan on enlisting here as well.
      One thing to be cautious of when reading about other member's experiences is that states, and even colleges, can differ from each other. That being said, it will depend on your school's policy when it comes to being away from classes. In my personal experience, having attended a Big Ten University, I was out for nearly 2 years because of military deployments, and had no problems starting back up when I returned. Unfortunately, I did leave in the middle of a semester, so those classes were labeled as "Withdraw" on my Transcripts. Considering everything, this hardly affected me or my opportunities to continue with my education. Also, because I was already enlisted, the National Guard was paying for my tuition. Therefore, I didn't have any repayment issues. Any student loans I had were deferred until I returned as well. In the end, my transition back to school was fairly seamless!

All in all, the whole education system has dealt with countless student Soldiers, meaning you can be fairly confident your situation has been addressed at some point.

Take a moment and talk to your Veterans Affairs Office. They were extremely helpful, personally, in learning about what to do in a deployment, and who to talk to at the school.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
        This is 2012 so you will know about a year out if you get deployed. The days of being mobilized and leaving in 30 days for the MOB station are history. I haven't found a college that wouldn't take Uncle Sam's College money when you return. On another note who says you will deploy!
        That is good to know that I am told my deployment date well in advance. Also, I'm afraid I'm unaware of what an MOB station is.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          One thing to be cautious of when reading about other member's experiences is that states, and even colleges, can differ from each other. That being said, it will depend on your school's policy when it comes to being away from classes. In my personal experience, having attended a Big Ten University, I was out for nearly 2 years because of military deployments, and had no problems starting back up when I returned. Unfortunately, I did leave in the middle of a semester, so those classes were labeled as "Withdraw" on my Transcripts. Considering everything, this hardly affected me or my opportunities to continue with my education. Also, because I was already enlisted, the National Guard was paying for my tuition. Therefore, I didn't have any repayment issues. Any student loans I had were deferred until I returned as well. In the end, my transition back to school was fairly seamless!

All in all, the whole education system has dealt with countless student Soldiers, meaning you can be fairly confident your situation has been addressed at some point.

Take a moment and talk to your Veterans Affairs Office. They were extremely helpful, personally, in learning about what to do in a deployment, and who to talk to at the school.

Good luck!
          That is a very good point. The state and the university is a determining factor on the policies. I will look more into how the University California system deals with deployments. And your story is very comforting to know. I was quite afraid that things would get very difficult if you missed too many days of school. And also, do you recommend the Veterans Affairs Office or talking to a recruiter. To be completely honest, the only thing that I'm afraid of talking to a recruiter is that they're only going to be telling me the pros of the ArNG. I would like to know the honest unbiased idea and concerns on the NG... which I'm fairly sure they won't do.

Comment

That is a very good point. The state and the university is a determining factor on the policies. I will look more into how the University California system deals with deployments. And your story is very comforting to know. I was quite afraid that things would get very difficult if you missed too many days of school. And also, do you recommend the Veterans Affairs Office or talking to a recruiter. To be completely honest, the only thing that I'm afraid of talking to a recruiter is that they're only going to be telling me the pros of the ArNG. I would like to know the honest unbiased idea and concerns on the NG... which I'm fairly sure they won't do.
            It never hurts to get a recruiter's perspective. However, in this case, a Veteran's Affairs representative will be familiar with the particular Universities policies as well as your state's military education benefits. Between the two, I would talk to the Veteran's Affairs Office. If they are proficient at their job, they will be able to tell you if you need to talk to someone outside of the University system; i.e. your recruiter or unit.

Hope this helps!
            Last edited by RyCass; November 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              It never hurts to get a recruiter's perspective. However, in this case, a Veterans Affairs representative will be familiar with the particular Universities policies as well as your state's military education benefits. Between the two, I would talk to the Veteran's Affairs Office. If they are proficient at their job, they will be able to tell you if you need to talk to someone outside of the University system; i.e. your recruiter or unit.

Hope this helps!
              Thank you very very much for your advice! It is very in-depth and I greatly appreciate the information and will indefinitely be talking with Verteran's affairs. I also plan on talking to a recruiter later on.

Comment

Thank you very very much for your advice! It is very in-depth and I greatly appreciate the information and will indefinitely be talking with Verteran's affairs. I also plan on talking to a recruiter later on.
                Absolutely! I'm glad my personal experience could provide you with peace of mind and direction. Good luck with your education and military endeavors.

Comment

MOB Station simply means Mobilization Station (the physical location reserve component soldiers move to, for example Fort Bliss, prior to deploying).

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                    It is 2012 and you should get a warning of deployment. But I unit received 60 days notice between then and MOB, and we sure aren't Guard special forces. All this is anecdotal though.

Comment

Even if you get called up without much notice, CSUs, UCs, and community colleges in California are ridiculously Veteran/Service Member friendly, Its a 1 page piece of paperwork at my college that you get your prof. to sign off basically pausing your studies until you return. You aren't withdrawing or dropping, just pausing. No fees to do it too. So I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X