X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background checks

So I know I've been asking a lot of questions and I did ask my recruiter this but his answer was kind of unclear so here I am. I wanted to know if nothing showed up on the background check that your recruiter does, will anything show up at MEPS? are the background checks that they do the same?

Re: Background checks

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post
    So I know I've been asking a lot of questions and I did ask my recruiter this but his answer was kind of unclear so here I am. I wanted to know if nothing showed up on the background check that your recruiter does, will anything show up at MEPS? are the background checks that they do the same?
    Did your recruiter do local, state, federal?

Comment

MEPS doesn't do a background check. OPM, DSS and a few other alphabet agencies do them subsequently after you enlist. Your recruiters backgrounds checks mean exactly diddly poo poo compared to the access those other agencies have. This is how people are kicked out once they are already in. It normally catches up with you at basic training.

What kind of charge are you trying to hide?

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
        Did your recruiter do local, state, federal?
        They usually will do where you work, live or went to school. They wouldn't ever run a federal. Even if they did all of that, the way the computer systems house records, things can still be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          MEPS doesn't do a background check. OPM, DSS and a few other alphabet agencies do them subsequently after you enlist. Your recruiters backgrounds checks mean exactly diddly poo poo compared to the access those other agencies have. This is how people are kicked out once they are already in. It normally catches up with you at basic training.

What kind of charge are you trying to hide?

I'm not hiding anything. He ran a state check after I told him about my juvenile history but nothing came
          Back according to him, I was just asking to see if the one he did and the one performed at/after MEPS would show the same things.

Comment

I'm not hiding anything. He ran a state check after I told him about my juvenile history but nothing came
            Back according to him, I was just asking to see if the one he did and the one performed at/after MEPS would show the same things.
            It may, and it may not. The the thing is that there isn't just one place to look.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              They usually will do where you work, live or went to school. They wouldn't ever run a federal. Even if they did all of that, the way the computer systems house records, things can still be missed.
              Ya, my recruiter just ran a local check at my town of residence.

Comment

To add to the previous posters, and more of an FYI, Major Juvenile misconduct will be something that holds you back. Otherwise, any minor misconduct as a Juvenile might show up but won't be anything to sweat over. If you've been honest with your recruiter and they are good to move forward, then you can rest easy.

Good luck with the remainder of your enlistment!

Comment

Any charge that surfaces after enlistment will get you discharged......Don't hide anything! Just fair warning you.

Comment

Honesty is always the best route, but even more so when it comes to issues in regards to moral slip-ups.

Make sure you give your recruiter all the details in regards to this incident. He will give you the appropriate steps to take next.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong those of you that know better...
                      Even if the recruiter did a background check and nothing showed up there is still a question or two in Path to Honor and again in the paperwork at MEPS in regards to arrests, etc. Wouldn't the OP need to be honest about this or OP are you planning on saying no and hoping it isn't found during the more thorough background check?

Comment

If your fingers ever touched a finger print pad or screen......juvy or adult.......its coming back to bite you and get you discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                          Correct me if I am wrong those of you that know better...
                          Even if the recruiter did a background check and nothing showed up there is still a question or two in Path to Honor and again in the paperwork at MEPS in regards to arrests, etc. Wouldn't the OP need to be honest about this or OP are you planning on saying no and hoping it isn't found during the more thorough background check?

No I plan to tell everything from juvy which isn't anything too major all the way to traffic tickets... I don't want to do anything that will deny me for future enlistment if I did require a waiver. I was simply trying to figure out what the differences were between the background check my recruiter ran and the one yhat will be run after meps.

Sorry for the sloppy typing I'm on my phone.

Comment

Background checks might also be requested from government organizations like the Department of Justice. The information provided is limited to criminal history information and will not provide data on the status of immigration and consumer credit data. Employment eligibility verifications

Comment

Typically the Recruiter will run a Police Record Check where you've lived and worked with local law enforcement agencies. Charges that were sealed will not show up on those checks. When you enlist and process through MEPS a Federal background check is done based on your fingerprints. ANYTIME you've been fingerprinted by a law enforcement agency it WILL show up. If you weren't fingerprinted, it's not likely to show up.

Many times Judges and Lawyers will advise young men and women that if the charge is sealed or expunged that they do not need to divulge it to anyone which is completely incorrect. If an applicant doesn't disclose a charge and it shows up after enlistment, the applicant will be discharged for fraudulent enlistment which will hinder any future service in the military.

Bottom line, be open and honest with your Recruiter. He/she is only there to help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X