X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meps

Will someone explain to me what exactly goes on at MEPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Meps

Ask a recruiter haha that was a joke
    You will leave the hotel early in the morning, go to breakfast and then head to MEPS. Once there you will check in. My MEPS station has you get finger printed and you use your prints to check in through out the day, as well as taking a picture. Then you go to a room where they talk to you about what will go own, you sign some paperwork, then you fill out the same medical paperwork you already filled out with your recruiter. Then there are different stations that you will hit - we had a lot of people so there were a few groups and you rotated to the different stations (so there is no set way you hit the stations). You will have to pee in a cup with someone watching you, you will sit in a sound booth and press a button every time you hear a beep, you will have an eye test which tests depth perception, color, etc. You will have you bp taken as well as pulse. Then there is the fun underwear olympics where they will test your orthopedic well being. Once everything is done you will meet with the doctor who will examine your privates and eyes and ears and various other things and then he/she will go over your paperwork and any issues that came up. If you pass everything the doctor signs off on your physical and you are ready to swear in. Depending on how they do it at your MEPS you will then go meet with your liaison and wait to pick your job and swear in. It may vary a bit at your MEPS but that is an overview.

Comment

Expect it to be a 6-8 hour ordeal depending on how many people are there, how backed up they get and how many issues you have or don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        Expect it to be a 6-8 hour ordeal depending on how many people are there, how backed up they get and how many issues you have or don't have.
        Ya, expect to sit around and wait for most of the time!

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
          Ya, expect to sit around and wait for most of the time!
          Does this correspond to the "hurry and wait" thing I've read about?

Comment

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post
            Welcome to government service....

Comment

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post
              That is exactly it. Expect the doctors to not want you to waste their time, the NCOIC to dislike you and wants you to shut up, and the recruiters to still love you.

Comment

Just went through MEPS. Best advice I can give:

1. Stay away from the hooligans. They will lower the staff's regard for you and hence make it a little easier to DQ you.

2. Eat a light breakfast and hold in your morning pee. This will make sure you can pee for the test as well as not give them a false indicator for various conditions they check for. THE MORE WATER YOU DRINK THE NIGHT BEFORE AND MORNING OF, THE BETTER.

3. Always say yes ma'am/sir and no ma'am/sir. Dress semi-nice as to make a good impression.

4. Answer all questions honestly, but keep your answers to a yes/no only statement. Hope that makes sense, talk to your recruiter if it doesn't.

5. Be ready to be patient. Bring a book if you have to! Ask your recruiter for a Blue book and RSP information to read and keep you busy in extended waiting periods. There will most likely be a lot of those.

6. Most importantly, follow directions as best and closely as possible. The staff is usually grouchy because everybody is up early and they have a thankless job, the best way to keep them happy is to just do exactly as they say. Remember they want to get out of there as soon as you do.

7. Don't be afraid of the more "personal" part of your physical assessment. It may be awkward, but it has to be done. If you can't handle the turn your head and cough treatment the military isn't for you. You will be asked to undress for a few parts of your examination, don't feel uncomfortable as we ALL have to go through this. Life goes on, be confident so you pass everything with flying colors.

Hope this helped. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

Comment

" Stay away from the Hooligans" your whole career is a better statement!

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                    " Stay away from the Hooligans" your whole career is a better statement!
                    Wise words. I hear this from many people that have been in all branches of service.

There are always a few blockheads wherever you go, I find it's best to be the diamond among coal in these situations.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!! I take my asvab Tuesday. Been preparing for it and also have been working out.

Comment

Working...
                      X