X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Guard- Units

Hello, this is my first post on the forums here. But I do have a question concerning enlistment. As far as joining the National Guard, how are you designated to units? Is it determined by the location in which you are residing? Or more so of where the high command decides to send you? And lastly, when you go in for drill or annual training... do you get sent to a local training site? Or to a specific training site in the residing state? And if so, are we to pay for our own transportation or are we 'rounded up' for training/active duty.
    Sincerely,
    bchan

Re: Joining the Guard- Units

Originally posted by bchan View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on the forums here. But I do have a question concerning enlistment. As far as joining the National Guard, how are you designated to units? Is it determined by the location in which you are residing? Or more so of where the high command decides to send you? And lastly, when you go in for drill or annual training... do you get sent to a local training site? Or to a specific training site in the residing state? And if so, are we to pay for our own transportation or are we 'rounded up' for training/active duty.
    Sincerely,
    bchan
    Welcome to the forums! A lot of what you are asking is National Guard basics. So, I would encourage you to also take a look at the National Guard website to get an idea of what you can expect through the whole process. Here's a direct link.

As to your questions, your unit is determined primarily on what job you train for. In an ideal situation, the location of that unit will be close to your home of record, but for many, their unit can be 50 miles or more away. If you're concerned about location, be sure to discuss your options with your recruiter.

Drills are traditionally at your unit. Depending on what kind of job you have and how big of a base your unit is on, your Annual Training could be at your unit or located at a larger training facility (or both). Once you get to your unit, you'll learn quickly what kind of traveling for training you can expect.

Transportation and the cost of is nearly always covered by the unit during a drill weekend (minus the drive to and from). There may be some cases where Soldiers are allowed to drive to a different training location using their own car. This is to the Commander's discretion and would mean the Soldier would pay for their own gas. Annual Training does allow for Travel Pay. There are couple of variables that determine this for each Soldier, so you will want to discuss this with your Readiness NCO once you get to your unit.

Be sure to take a look around on the forums! There's a lot of good information on here that will help you learn what it's like training as a Soldier. If you need to get connected to a recruiter, you can do so here online.

Comment

Thank you for the help RyCass! Your information proved very helpful. I will definitely be searching around on the forums and website more thoroughly. The reason why I asked the questions is because I currently reside in the Bay Area, California. But after high school I plan to move to SoCal for college. That is when I would be joining the National Guard. That is why I was curious as to whether my training and unit would be located in Southern California (near my university) or current place of residence (Bay Area). I thank you very much for the response and friendly welcome

Comment

Originally posted by bchan View Post
        Thank you for the help RyCass! Your information proved very helpful. I will definitely be searching around on the forums and website more thoroughly. The reason why I asked the questions is because I currently reside in the Bay Area, California. But after high school I plan to move to SoCal for college. That is when I would be joining the National Guard. That is why I was curious as to whether my training and unit would be located in Southern California (near my university) or current place of residence (Bay Area). I thank you very much for the response and friendly welcome
        Great! I'm glad I could help .

I think that's a wise decision to enlist in a unit that is close to your college. If you're a full time student, you'll like be there much more than in the Bay Area, meaning it won't be as big of a hassle to drill on the weekends.

Good luck with everything! Post an update of your enlistment progress.

Comment

Working...
        X