X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant and transferring

I joined the National Guard Feb 2012, and completed AIT for 88M in July. After AIT I started the interstate transfer paperwork and moved from FL to NJ in August. I found out I'm pregnant, and still have not joined a unit in NJ because of the transfer taking long. What is the best way for me to request a pregnant discharge? I'm supposed to go sign some paperwork to transfer my contract probably this week and I'm not sure what to do.

Re: Pregnant and transferring

Originally posted by patteh View Post
    I joined the National Guard Feb 2012, and completed AIT for 88M in July. After AIT I started the interstate transfer paperwork and moved from FL to NJ in August. I found out I'm pregnant, and still have not joined a unit in NJ because of the transfer taking long. What is the best way for me to request a pregnant discharge? I'm supposed to go sign some paperwork to transfer my contract probably this week and I'm not sure what to do.
    If you need me to help you find someone to contact in NJ, shoot me a PM.

Otherwise, I'm sorry but I have just about zero experience dealing with pregnancies in the ARNG. It's not something that comes up too often in an all-male unit.

Comment

Would you happen to know if I should request the discharge from my current unit in FL , or if I should complete the transfer and request it from whichever unit I join?

Comment

Why do you need to be discharged? You can't complete your service obligation because you are pregnant?

Comment

I have given a lot of thought to my options, and decided getting discharged is the best thing for me, all I want to know is how I should do so since I am in the middle of transferring units.

Comment

And it is becoming cleared to me why some men hate having women in the military - no offense. I am a woman and this frustrates me!

I may be wrong but I don't think pregnancy is grounds for a discharge so good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
              And it is becoming cleared to me why some men hate having women in the military - no offense. I am a woman and this frustrates me!

I may be wrong but I don't think pregnancy is grounds for a discharge so good luck with that.
              The OP could probably request to go ING for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post

Not to get off topic but some female soldiers (about 4) did not deploy with us this time around since they got pregnant. Some think that timing is deliberate on their part to skate out of a deployment but nevertheless a blessing from God.

Here is some information that relates to the topic.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor.../a/getout9.htm

Comment

There's a common misconception that if a female Soldier gets pregnant, they can just "request" a discharge. However, the regulation is actually fairly direct on this in that there needs to be evidence of real hardship (i.e. after the baby is born, getting to drills is financial impossible, there will be no transportation or family support, etc.). We can go through the regulation privately through PM, if you'd like, OP. Otherwise, I would sit down with your Readiness NCO and have a candid conversation about your situation and if it would constitute a complete release from your obligations.

As mentioned above, IRR/ING (whichever would suit your situation), is another option, if you are needing some time apart from your commitment. You would still be enlisted, but it may be just want you need to get your personal life in order after the baby is born.

Let me know if I can help!

Comment

Working...
                  X