X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a single mother of 2 join?

I am a single mother of a almost 3yr old and a almost 1 yr old. Wanting to be able to provide for my children I have thought about joining the National Guard. Would that be an option for me? Also since I've had my 1yr old I haven't gotten back into shape. Does the Guard assist people to get back into shape to be able to pass the basic training?

Thank you for your help!!

Re: Can a single mother of 2 join?

You would need to talk to a recruiter to see if waivers are being granted in your state for single parents. Such waivers require a family care plan, declaring who would be the guardian of your children in your absence.

And since I know others and myself are thinking it...if you're looking for a financial assistance and a weight loss program....that is NOT what the Guard is. The military does not want you bad enough to fix your own issues for you prior to shipping for boot camp.
    Last edited by SteveLord; November 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      You would need to talk to a recruiter to see if waivers are being granted in your state for single parents. Such waivers require a family care plan, declaring who would be the guardian of your children in your absence.

And since I know others and myself are thinking it...if you're looking for a financial assistance and a weight loss program....that is NOT what the Guard is. The military does not want you bad enough to fix your own issues for you prior to shipping for boot camp.

Thank you...and no I'm not wanting to do this as a weight loss program I was just stating that I'm aware I'm probably not physically 100% where they would want me to be, so therefore I was wondering if they would assist me in getting prepared for the requirements. Also I'm not looking for financial assistance but know that I would have a promised future with a great career.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Sevim View Post
        Thank you...and no I'm not wanting to do this as a weight loss program I was just stating that I'm aware I'm probably not physically 100% where they would want me to be, so therefore I was wondering if they would assist me in getting prepared for the requirements. Also I'm not looking for financial assistance but know that I would have a promised future with a great career.

Thank you
        I'm not sure what you mean by this. You do understand that most National Guard soldiers only serve part time and that the compensation for those in junior enlisted ranks is only a couple hundred dollars per month, right?

Comment

Exactly that would show that I'm not doing it for financial assistance...

Comment

Exactly that would show that I'm not doing it for financial assistance...
            There is nothing wrong with considering the compensation structure in the military when joining. 99% of us would not have joined if it required completely unpaid service. I just want you to be aware of the fact that the level of compensation may not significantly impact your finances. Personally, if I had two young children and no one to help me care for them, I would focus on them rather than consider joining the military.

Comment

I am not sure why you are getting the odd, almost defensive responses? One good response was to check with a recruiter to see if you can get in as a single mother. You would probably need to have a plan in place to show wou would care for your children while you are at BCT and AIT as well as if you were to be deployed.
              As far as getting into shape. ?(I didn't read your question as if you wanted to use the military to get back into shape.) Yes, once you enlist in The Guard you start going to monthly RSP drills where they help you with paperwork, drill and ceremony, learning ranks, as well as getting you into shape. You will need to do work on your own to get in shape too but RSP helps. They help to physically and mentally prepare you for basic training so you know what to expect. As long as you can pass the weight and you put in the effort you will be ok.
              As far as financially helping - no, monthly drills don't pay you well but The Guard can still help you in many ways. It can enable you to get training and skills that can possibly be used in the civilian world, it can help you financially to go to college which can help you with a career and be financially secure in the future, it can help you with insurance, etc.

"Personally, if I had two young children and no one to help me care for them, I would focus on them rather than consider joining the military."
              That is a pretty big assumption. Just because she is a single mother it doesn't mean she has no one to help care for them. She didn't say she had no family or that the father wasn't involved.
              Last edited by robinpugs06; November 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

There are physical fitness standards involving 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps and running 2 miles. Those would be what you focus on. Since the Guard is one weekend a month, you are expected to get yourself into shape and pass the physical fitness test (APFT.) "Getting you prepared" generally goes as far as showing you what to expect. This forum does have a section where many have shared their experiences, recommendations and feedback on certain programs and diets.

Your "provide for my children" comment is what is throwing me off. When someone says that, I honestly have trouble taking it as anything more than straight up sustainable or boosted income (or a sharable benefit which I will go into next) since you didn't elaborate. I have 4 kids, so I am familiar with the term and costs. The money you bring in from drill weekends is ~$200 depending on a rank/time in. There are calculators and charts that can tell you more. Beyond active duty pay from boot camp's and activations/deployments that may arise, that is all you can expect.

Don't think I am grilling you. I think it is best this all gets laid out now (and again, because of your initial post). We have had people come here before who seem to view the military as their golden ticket out of a bad economy. Sometimes reality hits them here. Sometimes it doesn't until they've already sworn in. Oops.

Being in the Guard does allow you to participate in an affordable healthcare plan called TriCare Reserve Select. It costs $195/mo to cover your family.

There is also the SGLI for life insurance. You can acquire up to $400,000 in coverage and the premium can be taken out of your monthly drill pay.
                Last edited by SteveLord; November 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  I am not sure why you are getting the odd, almost defensive responses? One good response was to check with a recruiter to see if you can get in as a single mother. You would probably need to have a plan in place to show wou would care for your children while you are at BCT and AIT as well as if you were to be deployed.
                  As far as getting into shape. ?(I didn't read your question as if you wanted to use the military to get back into shape.) Yes, once you enlist in The Guard you start going to monthly RSP drills where they help you with paperwork, drill and ceremony, learning ranks, as well as getting you into shape. You will need to do work on your own to get in shape too but RSP helps. They help to physically and mentally prepare you for basic training so you know what to expect. As long as you can pass the weight and you put in the effort you will be ok.
                  As far as financially helping - no, monthly drills don't pay you well but The Guard can still help you in many ways. It can enable you to get training and skills that can possibly be used in the civilian world, it can help you financially to go to college which can help you with a career and be financially secure in the future, it can help you with insurance, etc.

"Personally, if I had two young children and no one to help me care for them, I would focus on them rather than consider joining the military."
                  That is a pretty big assumption. Just because she is a single mother it doesn't mean she has no one to help care for them. She didn't say she had no family or that the father wasn't involved.
                  Thank you so much!

Comment

There are physical fitness standards involving 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps and running 2 miles. Those would be what you focus on. Since the Guard is one weekend a month, you are expected to get yourself into shape and pass the physical fitness test (APFT.) "Getting you prepared" generally goes as far as showing you what to expect. This forum does have a section where many have shared their experiences, recommendations and feedback on certain programs and diets.

Your "provide for my children" comment is what is throwing me off. When someone says that, I honestly have trouble taking it as anything more than straight up sustainable or boosted income (or a sharable benefit which I will go into next) since you didn't elaborate. I have 4 kids, so I am familiar with the term and costs. The money you bring in from drill weekends is ~$200 depending on a rank/time in. There are calculators and charts that can tell you more. Beyond active duty pay from boot camp's and activations/deployments that may arise, that is all you can expect.

Don't think I am grilling you. I think it is best this all gets laid out now (and again, because of your initial post). We have had people come here before who seem to view the military as their golden ticket out of a bad economy. Sometimes reality hits them here. Sometimes it doesn't until they've already sworn in. Oops.

Being in the Guard does allow you to participate in an affordable healthcare plan called TriCare Reserve Select. It costs $195/mo to cover your family.

There is also the SGLI for life insurance. You can acquire up to $400,000 in coverage and the premium can be taken out of your monthly drill pay.
                    Maybe I didn't choose the correct wording to explain my question, but I am not looking for help out of a bad life. Thank you for all the other information though.

Comment

Maybe I didn't choose the correct wording to explain my question, but I am not looking for help out of a bad life. Thank you for all the other information though.
                      The Guard can open up a lot of opportunities for you. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to give in return. Everyone has their own reasons for joining and as long as you know you will have to sacrifice and give a lot of yourself then your reasons are yours and yours alone.

Comment

The Guard can open up a lot of opportunities for you. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to give in return. Everyone has their own reasons for joining and as long as you know you will have to sacrifice and give a lot of yourself then your reasons are yours and yours alone.
                        I agree and appreciate your help so much.

Comment

We have a very diverse and well experienced community so please feel free to ask anything. However, it sometimes may be in your best interest to contact a local recruiter depending on the issue.

Comment

We have a very diverse and well experienced community so please feel free to ask anything. However, it sometimes may be in your best interest to contact a local recruiter depending on the issue.
                            So true. This forum and almost all of the people on here are great and have a wealth of information. But, a recruiter can tell you if you are eligible and answer all of your questions.

Comment

The assumption was stated explicitly so that the recipient could weigh the value of my suggestion based on the correctness of said assumption.

The reason for my "odd" response is that what the military really needs is young recruits who are in good physical shape and are ready to dedicate themselves to service. A single mom with two kids who is out of shape doesn't really fit that description.

And before someone retorts with the oft-heard "well, that's just YOUR opinion" -- yes, the subjective nature of the conversation should indicate that everything I'm saying is my opinion. Duh. Don't like my opinion? Ignore it. Too easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X