X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going To War(2012-2015)

Ill be 18 in a few years and been thinking about join the National Guard. Many people from the National Guard came to our school and talked too us about it. So I was wounding if I join would i have to go too war after basic training? I'm only 16 1/2 and I really don't want to go to war if you know what I mean.. I know they deal with destruction and all that but I don't know if they go too war or not? Please respond, thanks.

Re: Going To War(2012-2015)

The National Guard serves the state and governor first, but the President can call upon us to serve overseas. No one can predict with 100% accuracy when or if a particular Soldier will go to war. Nevertheless, everyone who joins the military must be prepared and willing to go when called. The good news is that this is a volunteer force, so if you don't want to serve in combat, no one will force you to -- just don't join any component of the military, and you'll be fine.

If you're looking to serve locally for emergency relief only, then perhaps you'd do better as a volunteer with the Red Cross or your local State Defense Force.

Comment

Originally posted by Kregger View Post
      Ill be 18 in a few years and been thinking about join the National Guard. Many people from the National Guard came to our school and talked too us about it. So I was wounding if I join would i have to go too war after basic training? I'm only 16 1/2 and I really don't want to go to war if you know what I mean.. I know they deal with destruction and all that but I don't know if they go too war or not? Please respond, thanks.
      Kregger:

To answer your last question first; yes - the Army National Guard does go to war. Frequently.

You are very young, and it's completely understandable that you do not want to go to war. But if you don't want to run into the possibility of going to war, the National Guard is not for you.

That being said, it's very rewarding to be a part of the Guard. We also respond to state emergencies like floods and tornadoes to help people on their worst days. You'll find the educational benefits are hard to beat, and you find a lot of pride in wearing the uniform and meeting all kinds of different people in your unit.

My advice is to do some research while you are still in school. Talk to different people who are in the Guard and other services and ask them what their typical day is like.

Good luck to you!

Comment

My advice is to do some research while you are still in school. Talk to different people who are in the Guard and other services and ask them what their typical day is like.
        You've been given some real candid and great advice. What Wobbly Emu stated above would the course of action I would encourage you to pursue. It's easy to get hung up on only one part of being a Soldier. While going to combat is fundamentally a Soldier's first "duty", in today's National Guard, there's so much more to it than that. Deploying is a reality for anyone in the Military, but at least take a look at the whole picture before deciding it's not for you. Check out these Soldier Stories on the National Guard website.

Comment

So basically if I join the National Guard I have a high chance of gong too war?
          Also what's all in the basic training? I've looked some up and it's what we do in my Football practice. Run two miles under 16 minutes, max out on your push ups close, wide, and farther out, 90 degree sit ups, and some other stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by Kregger View Post
            So basically if I join the National Guard I have a high chance of gong too war?
            Given the pace of mobilizations right now, in a six year enlistment you have a decent chance of spending one year overseas. Iraq is over, and in 2014 we plan to cut Afghanistan dramatically, so that would reduce your likelihood even further. Then again, events we cannot predict could increase your odds.

While it may never happen, you need to prepare for it. Hundreds of thousands of Soldiers have mobilized and deployed in the past ten years, so obviously it can be done.

Comment

To be honest your question is like asking if it will rain or not in a year or so.

I can only speak as a recruit, but listen to these words:
              You are looking at joining the ARMY National Guard. The Army is in the business of warfare, and business is good these days. You shouldn't join any branch of the Military without being okay with deploying. Even the Coast Guard deployed to the middle-east when SHTF.

Basically, join to serve, and accept whatever it takes to serve. If you're not wanting to go anywhere, the Armed Forces are not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
                The Army is in the business of warfare, and business is good these days.
                No, you didn't really just say that, did you?

To the OP: There's a difference in being nervous about deploying and not wanting to deploy. I would be nervous about deploying, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't go. It's the difference between fear and being afraid.

Comment

[QUOTE=StandFast85;170192]No, you didn't really just say that, did you? QUOTE]

While certainly a tad cliche, I don't find it to be grossly innacurate. The National Guard and Reserve of the Army have been deployed more in the last decade than any other time in the history of their modern existence. I spent from 1988 - 2004 without ever being deployed for any reason. (15 years). In the last 9 years it's not unlikely that a soldier has spent at least 2 years, in some cases 3 on deployments. I'd agree that "business is good".

Comment

Believe it or not but war and destruction are terrible for a good economy to run well. Also the second world war did NOT get us out of the Great Depression as we have been told in school.

Comment

Working...
                    X