Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options and Paths with the ARNG and the Army. Help please?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options and Paths with the ARNG and the Army. Help please?

I am 17 and currently in an Early College High School program as a Senior, I will graduate on December 2013 with my Associate of Science, I would graduate on May 2013 if I did the Arts (less credits) but I want to pursue an Engineering career after school.

Basically, I want to be able to go two more years into college and get my Bachelors in Engineering (Civil or Mechanical) and do ROTC as well. I would like to come out as a Commissioned Officer of the United States Army and go Active Duty and make the Army my full-time career, it has always been a passion and a dream of mine.

What would be the most logical, beneficial and most guaranteed path for me to take to reach this goal? Can ARNG help me reach this goal?

Thanks!

Re: Options and Paths with the ARNG and the Army. Help please?

Have you considered the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)? From what you have described, this would be the perfect option for you.

Comment

You may serve in the ARNG while in college and ROTC (see the separate message about SMP status). Read the messages linked in my signature file about incentives, so you don't accidentally take money that obligates you for a path you don't intend to follow.

Comment

Thanks both of you for the information, I really appreciate the assistance. I would like to ask one question though, if you don't mind?

Would there be a higher chance of me going into Active Duty as a 2LT by going to LTC and then College ROTC with the United States Army, or would it be better for me to enlist, go to College ROTC and do the SMP program with the Army National Guard?

I know nothing is guaranteed but I just wanted to know your opinions on the competitiveness of each program (LTC) and (SMP) and just get some feedback.
        I also plan to talk to the ROTC Recruiting Operations Officer of my top two colleges of choice soon about the two options as well.

Comment

One more thing, I feel like I would be using the National Guard by doing the SMP just so I can go active duty. Am I? and Should I feel bad about taking that route for that reason?

I mean, I plan to work hard in anything I choose to do in the Army and I will give back what I owe but it just seems like I would be taking advantage of one branch to reach the goals of another but my dream has always been to serve active duty, full-time and to make a life-long career out of the Army.

I mean, I love the National Guard for the Citizen-Soldier idea of having a civilian life and a military life, but I don't feel that I would enjoy having to balance two separate lives at once. If I chose the military as a career then it would be my one and only focus, something I eat, sleep and breathe daily.

Again though, thanks for the help. I'd love to hear more feedback, just to gain extra insight on everything, you are all very good at answering these (probably confusing) questions. haha

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBrayden View Post
            One more thing, I feel like I would be using the National Guard by doing the SMP just so I can go active duty. Am I? and Should I feel bad about taking that route for that reason?

I mean, I plan to work hard in anything I choose to do in the Army and I will give back what I owe but it just seems like I would be taking advantage of one branch to reach the goals of another but my dream has always been to serve active duty, full-time and to make a life-long career out of the Army.

I mean, I love the National Guard for the Citizen-Soldier idea of having a civilian life and a military life, but I don't feel that I would enjoy having to balance two separate lives at once. If I chose the military as a career then it would be my one and only focus, something I eat, sleep and breathe daily.

Again though, thanks for the help. I'd love to hear more feedback, just to gain extra insight on everything, you are all very good at answering these (probably confusing) questions. haha
            You've got a better thought process than the vast majority of people in the world that you would even consider these issues. Most people take what's in front of them, then are completely surprised when those choices have consequences and implications later.

Serving as an enlisted Guardsmen and/or SMP cadet and then going into the active component from ROTC isn't necessarily a problem from either a legal or a moral standpoint. The big concern in your case is taking financial incentives that carry obligations in a direction that you don't want. Look at the messages linked in my signature file for some specific guidance on that.

Comment

Thank you! I have read every thread you have posted in the F.A.Q section. They have been a large help for me. It seems to me that mainly, If I did SMP, I don't need to take the GRFD Scholarship or the Dedicated Reserves Scholarship.

People in other forums have said that if you plan to do Active-Duty, don't take those two scholarships and that may be true but I get this odd feeling that there could be more.

Comment

If you are not applying to West Point, consider colleges like the citadel, VMI, Norwich, and the other private military academies. When those Cadets attend LDAC their order of merit does not negatively affect them from accessing onto active duty.

Comment

I will definitely look into those schools. I have been getting a numerous amount of letters and emails from VMI and The Citadel.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X