X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment

Im not sure if this has been posted on before, but I was wondering what the typical deployment period was for a Army National guard unit, my fiancee's cousin is in the air guard and he said army deployments are minimum 15 months. I was wondering if he was just pulling my chain or being serious.

Re: Deployment

Originally posted by jmninetwo View Post
    Im not sure if this has been posted on before, but I was wondering what the typical deployment period was for a Army National guard unit, my fiancee's cousin is in the air guard and he said army deployments are minimum 15 months. I was wondering if he was just pulling my chain or being serious.
    Typically the part overseas is about nine months. This isnt always the case, but the average is probably around there. Some special units spend less or more time, but the typical unit is nine months. It wasnt always the case, but now it is. Then you are also at MOB for a month or so directly before headig over and also end up with alot of additional training time leadng up to it that takes you away from your personal life (if you have one outside of the Guard) but you are still stateside during this training and come back to your personal life afterwards and before going overseas.

Comment

In the Guard, you can add some months for stateside training when you are mobilize; time in actual theater could be from 6 month to 1 year at the current time. 15 month deployments happened to active duty units that were extended while they were already deployed.

My first two deployments were for a year. My current deployment is for nine months. And that is the norm if you are assigned to a brigade or lower.

Comment

My first deployment was about 15 months total, 2.5 months of pre-mob, 1 year time in combat theater, less then 1 month for de-mob. A lot has changed since my last deployment though and like Becky said its about 9 months in combat theater now with roughly the same time for pre and de-mob. So now total time is about 1 year from start to finish.

Comment

thanks for the info guys, so active duty deployments are longer than guard deployments?

Comment

Negative. Time in country is aprox the same now. Training before varies and dependant on a few things. RA trains 24/7, we train one weekend a month so sometimes have more training leading up to the deployment, stateside.

FMCITYSLICKER is in the RA when he says he is there currently for nine months if there was confusion on that.

RA=regular army

Comment

when you do pre-mob, are you drilling at your unit or do you get sent to a base?

Comment

For the most part you are sent to a PREMOB station which is a base/fort/camp unless you happen to drill at that base normally, but you would likely be training in a different area then the armory is in. Fort Bliss is one I know of, Camp Shelby is another, Fort McCoy here in Wisconsin used to be until very recent. You are on a set of orders when you hit mob station so you are not in a drilling status. They actually wanted us to demob further away from home one time just so that no one would try to leave early or have family visiting but we ended up going through Wisconsin in the end. My opinion gathered from that time made me believe they prefer to send you out of state for PREMOB/DEMOB but thats just what I got from it.
                Last edited by WIBecky74; October 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Sorry to aquire your thunder, deployments vary depends on the mission, but speaking of deployments does anyone know when the next one is? Country wide? I would like to volunteer and go as soon as possible. Would apprecite any feed back, I've already looked on Tour of Duty and didsnt see much.

Comment

What's your MOS? I could possibly get you on a deployment if you were 88M.

Comment

Originally posted by CPLWho?!?!? View Post
                      Sorry to aquire your thunder, deployments vary depends on the mission, but speaking of deployments does anyone know when the next one is? Country wide? I would like to volunteer and go as soon as possible. Would apprecite any feed back, I've already looked on Tour of Duty and didsnt see much.
                      Army Guard to begin nine-month deployments in 2012
                      By Rob McIlvane
                      Army News Service

U.S. Army National Guard
                      download hi-res photoWASHINGTON (8/8/11) – Beginning Jan. 1, most soldiers, to include Army National Guard members, will deploy for nine months, giving them more time at home between deployments, Army officials announced Friday.

Army Secretary John M. McHugh signed a directive instituting a nine-month boots on the ground policy for deployed soldiers, providing more dwell time at home for soldiers and their families.

"Implementation of this change is based on the projected demand for Army forces, and remains contingent on global security conditions and combatant commanders' requirements," said Lt. Col. Peggy Kageleiry, an Army spokeswoman.

National Guard and Reserve unit tour lengths will be the same as active duty -- nine months.

You can also google and find Secretary of the Army John mcHugh's actual Memo regarding this in more detail.
                      Last edited by WIBecky74; October 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

i want to deploy...cant find work in this little community its killing me

Comment

Working...
                        X