Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my recruiter isn't doing his job

Hello Guard Forum,

I am 22 year old College graduate, former Jr. ROTC Cadet and College ROTC cadet. I went to a National Guard Recruiter in Connecticut and told him I wanted to join. I gave him all of my paper work. Birth Certificate ect ect. I got in trouble two years ago. Breach of Peace. I paid a fine and that was it. He asked for the paperwork for the case. I gave it to him and he told me that higher won't let me in without the Actual Police report. Which is something that they don't give. I pulled some strings and got them to release the police report, all my recruiter had to do was write a letter stating that it was for Recruitment Purposes only.Then they would fax it immediately. I have been on him for about two months now and he hasn't even lifted a finger to get it done. I've think I have done everything within my power to motivate him to get it done. He hasn't done ****, just either say he's going to do it or not answer my calls or texts. What should I do and who should I talk to because I'm frustrated.

Re: my recruiter isn't doing his job

Is everything else good to go? Are you within standards for everything else? Weight/medical? The Recruiter needs to write the letter for you to get the report still? Maybe he IS doing everything, has his numbers and they dont need you. Stinks but with many people applying and fewer positions available.... they might just not need you at this point so he can get others in without writng a letter. Have you read everything on these forums regarding waivers and such. Most arent even being offered anymore because of supply and demand.

Comment

Everything else is in order. Like I said before I was in ROTC in college for three years. I'm in great shape. I would of thought because of my qualifications he would of wanted me. I believe the police need him to write the letter for their records since apparently it is against the law to have your own police report. I went to him in early august and I'm sure he has put in many other people in this last month. There isn't anyone I can talk to besides him?

Comment

I have never heard of it being against the law. In the majority of cases, police reports are a matter of public record. This means that any interested in party should be able to obtain a copy of a police report; however, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, juvenile records may sometimes be sealed, or the records might be sealed to protect the privacy of the victim.

If you were accused of a crime and your case is pending (has not been decided yet and you have not been found innocent or guilty), then you are entitled to a copy of the police report. You can obtain a copy of the police report by requesting one from the District Attorney's office who is handling the case. You or your attorney can make this request, and generally the District Attorney has a maximum time line for compliance; in other words, they must give you a copy within a set number of days.

If the outcome of the case has already been decided- the case was dismissed or you were found guilty or innocent- then you can request a copy of the police report from the court. The court may charge you a copy fee for this service.

Comment

It was campus police and my recruiter knows this but I feel that because I may need a waiver despite everything I've done and things I have been involved in he STILL won't take 5 minutes out of his day to write it after he has said many times that he will do it in "30minutes" , "after lunch" ect. How do I find out who his boss it? I
          d be more comfortable if he wrote it and I got DQ'd at MEPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            I have never heard of it being against the law. In the majority of cases, police reports are a matter of public record. This means that any interested in party should be able to obtain a copy of a police report; however, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, juvenile records may sometimes be sealed, or the records might be sealed to protect the privacy of the victim.

If you were accused of a crime and your case is pending (has not been decided yet and you have not been found innocent or guilty), then you are entitled to a copy of the police report. You can obtain a copy of the police report by requesting one from the District Attorney's office who is handling the case. You or your attorney can make this request, and generally the District Attorney has a maximum time line for compliance; in other words, they must give you a copy within a set number of days.

If the outcome of the case has already been decided- the case was dismissed or you were found guilty or innocent- then you can request a copy of the police report from the court. The court may charge you a copy fee for this service.

This isnt the case because now we know it was campus police, but if it was city, county, or state your statement isnt entirely correct. If it involved a minor you cannot get the record. I was the minor involved in one over 20 years ago (I wasnt the one that did something wrong, it was something done against me) and years later I wanted to see what exactly the other four invovled said. I requested the report, and even though I was the minor, I was denied the report because it involved a minor. I explained the situation that it wasnt breaching anything because I was the one....but they still denied it.

Comment

I see, I cursed at another person. Plain and simple. Its my recruiter who isnt doing his part.

Comment

Just an FYI, it's not his job to write you a letter. ROTC isn't impressive, it's a college class you signed up for. Its your responsibility to get him the documentation. Many recruiters often do help, but because they Are trying to speed along the enlistment. There must be something that makes him think it's not worth his time doing the extra work.

Comment

If you were in ROTC why didn't you commission after that? I was under the impression that if you continued in an ROTC program after 2 years that you had an enlistment agreement. Is there anyway your ROTC command could help you with this, maybe with the campus police? HR has a point though. Recruiters are so overwhelmed nowadays as so many people are trying to enlist and they have to prioritize who they can get in quickly without waivers etc. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                    This isnt the case because now we know it was campus police, but if it was city, county, or state your statement isnt entirely correct. If it involved a minor you cannot get the record. I was the minor involved in one over 20 years ago (I wasnt the one that did something wrong, it was something done against me) and years later I wanted to see what exactly the other four invovled said. I requested the report, and even though I was the minor, I was denied the report because it involved a minor. I explained the situation that it wasnt breaching anything because I was the one....but they still denied it.
                    He stated it was "against the law" to have a copy and, although due to certain circumstances one MAY NOT be able to obtain it, such as being a minor, it is not a crime to possess it.

Also, I was not referring to obtaining the record of a minor (perhaps sealed) or AS a minor, those are different circumstances...he said the incident occurred 2 years ago and that he is 22.

Comment

Where in CT are you?

Comment

I'm actually kind of surprised the recruiter asked for the paperwork seeing as the OP was a minor. I had a charge from when I was 13 and my recruiter couldn't even find it. It was one of those little do 2 hours of community service and it will go away type of deals. I didn't have any problems and never had to provide any paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses1291 View Post
                          Hello Guard Forum,

I am 22 year old College graduate, former Jr. ROTC Cadet and College ROTC cadet. I went to a National Guard Recruiter in Connecticut and told him I wanted to join.
                          Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
                          I'm actually kind of surprised the recruiter asked for the paperwork seeing as the OP was a minor. I had a charge from when I was 13 and my recruiter couldn't even find it. It was one of those little do 2 hours of community service and it will go away type of deals. I didn't have any problems and never had to provide any paperwork.
                          Why does every think the OP is/was a minor? Am I missing something?

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris36;167871]Why does every think the OP is/was a minor? Am I missing something?

That would be my fault, I corrected someone and said not all reports are public record blah blah....like when a minor is involved....I never said the OP was a minor though, just corrected the one post saying anyone can get a police record...

Comment

There's a lot involved in putting someone into the Guard. There could be a valid reason that the recruiter has not done it yet. He may be waiting for something else to happen. It's a delicate dance.

If it's any comfort, I had to wait a year in order to enlist. Timing is everything. Don't give up yet.
                              Last edited by Chaplain4me; September 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X