X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG to Active Duty Question

I am 19 and my parents said when I turn 21 they will kick me out. I am going to take my ASVAB Tuesday and hopefully by the end of the month I will be at the Ft. Hamilton MEPS. Question is that I am continuing with the NG because my even though I am like 10 lbs over the height/weight standers he still wanted to work with me to get enlisted, whereas the Active Duty recruiter didnt want anything to help me out until I lost the weight.
    So like I how hard is it to go active while in the NG, because since my parents are going to kick me out in the next year and a half, i wont have anywhere to live apart from the streets.
    If I enlist in the NG and I go to the CO do you think I will be able to transfer into Active since its a legitimate reason?

Re: NG to Active Duty Question

No, if you want active duty, go active, if you want NG (one weekend a month) then go NG. Because there isnt a shortage of people wanting to get in the Active Army or the National Guard, it is not guaranteed your unit would release you to the active side. They dont have to. Plus if your unit is up on rotation to deploy, they very well wont let you get out. You are much better off enlisting into the one you want to stick with.

Comment

I'm not even sure the RA is accepting prior service right now. There is the call to active program (I think thats what it's called anyway) however they have strict criteria you have to meet (i.e you must be a certain ranks, and they only accept a few different MOS' at a time) that changes regularly.

Comment

I do not know what happened that your mother will kick you out but I will look at the other services if AD is your only solution; as well as the Peace and Job Corps. It sounds like tough love but it seems like they want you to make something of yourself.

Good luck.

Comment

Agreed. If AD is what you want, I don't recommend enlisting in the NG. The weight standards are the SAME. You CANT enlist in the Guard if you are overweight...and if you aren't, then you would also simultaneously meet the AD standard (as again, they are the same.)

I can't help but be quizzical of this "My parents are going to kick me out when I'm 21, AND the ONLY THING besides the STREETS of New York is to join the Army!"

Are your arms currently broken? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what is stopping you from getting a job right now and moving out...or taking the next year and a half to do that? You're already 19....what are you filling your days with now? Just hanging out at the folks place? I'd kick you out too....they're pretty nice letting you stay till you're 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Agreed. If AD is what you want, I don't recommend enlisting in the NG. The weight standards are the SAME. You CANT enlist in the Guard if you are overweight...and if you aren't, then you would also simultaneously meet the AD standard (as again, they are the same.)

I can't help but be quizzical of this "My parents are going to kick me out when I'm 21, AND the ONLY THING besides the STREETS of New York is to join the Army!"

Are your arms currently broken? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what is stopping you from getting a job right now and moving out...or taking the next year and a half to do that? You're already 19....what are you filling your days with now? Just hanging out at the folks place? I'd kick you out too....they're pretty nice letting you stay till you're 21.
            +1 Hooahest post of the year award.

Comment

too bad i do have a job. I am a transport EMT.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney Mould View Post
                too bad i do have a job. I am a transport EMT.
                That's excellent. You might consider enlisting in the Guard now, draw educational benefits while living at home, and leverage that education plus your work experience into an even better job.

Comment

Why not try to rent a room or find some roommates to get an apartment with you? Your NG drill pay will be about $150-$200 a month depending on your rank. I don't know what area you live in so not sure how much that will help you rent wise. You could also use your Tuition Assistance from the Guard to go to school full time and you could live on campus.

As everyone else said though, if you want Active then go Active. But if you are only doing it because you believe you will be homeless then you still have some options with the Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                    That's excellent. You might consider enlisting in the Guard now, draw educational benefits while living at home, and leverage that education plus your work experience into an even better job.

This is great advice. If you go to school, the education benefits you get will be able to help you cover your living expenses, such as housing. Unless you take out Student Loans (not always the best option if you want to come out of college debt free), you may still have to work. As a student and being independent of Mom and Dad's taxes, you are bound to qualify for some kind of grant to help you live somewhere off "the streets." In the end, with a wise degree choice, you'll have something you use to get a better job while also serving your country.

Unless, of course, you're dead set on Active Duty. In that case, just go active.

Comment

Working...
                    X