Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

different duties

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • different duties

    I was wondering how much hands on experience does a enlisted get compared to an NCO. When I worked for the Army, it seemed like the en listd had alot more hands on experience and the officers kinda got stuck doing administrative work unless they were PHDs, or MDs. I know everyone works hard I was just wondering what the difference was? If there is a thread covering this already please direct me to it.

  • #2
    Re: different duties

    Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
    I was wondering how much hands on experience does a enlisted get compared to an NCO. When I worked for the Army, it seemed like the en listd had alot more hands on experience and the officers kinda got stuck doing administrative work unless they were PHDs, or MDs. I know everyone works hard I was just wondering what the difference was? If there is a thread covering this already please direct me to it.
    Well NCO's are enlisted. Of course as you move up in rank your job becomes closer to that of a manager/administrator.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: different duties

      Officers typically do not get their hands dirty, nor should they really. In garrison the officers are the administrators, bogged down with lots of paperwork. On the enlisted side NCO's are managers and the level of management goes up with each rank. So for me being a squad leader I have two managers(team leaders) working under me. I manage them in addition to the troops in my squad but its the team leaders job to be more hands on with their guys, I have to stand back and let them be first level managers. I have to mentor my team leaders to eventually take my position. Now the platoon sergeant manages myself and the other two squad leaders. In his position he is very much an administrator as well as an upper level manager.

      In the field the platoon leader(officer) is running the show and the platoon sergeant takes a step back. He is still second in command technically, but if the platoon leader where to go down its the job of the 1st squad leader to take charge of the platoon and complete the mission. In the field we all get our hands dirty but the lower enlisted do nearly all of the hard labor. They are the ones digging holes, pounding pickets, filling sand bags etc. I shouldn't have to get involved in the grunt work unless we are short handed. As far as hands on experience goes I didn't just become an E-6 over night. I started as an E-1 and worked my way up, so I have had plenty of hands on experience.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: different duties

        1. Their are different types of officers. Line and Staff....Staff do administrative stuff, and line command troops. Though line officers still do administrative stuff.

        2. Enlisted soldiers spend almost all of their careers at the company level, where as officers spend about half of their careers at the company level.

        It's really beautiful how everything works.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: different duties

          There are pros and cons to every level. There is nothing wrong with being a lower enlisted through your career as long as you adhere to the Army values and are squared away. NCOs and Officers can trust people well below their rank with great responsibility. And this is especially true in the Guard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: different duties

            Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
            Officers typically do not get their hands dirty, nor should they really. In garrison the officers are the administrators, bogged down with lots of paperwork. On the enlisted side NCO's are managers and the level of management goes up with each rank. So for me being a squad leader I have two managers(team leaders) working under me. I manage them in addition to the troops in my squad but its the team leaders job to be more hands on with their guys, I have to stand back and let them be first level managers. I have to mentor my team leaders to eventually take my position. Now the platoon sergeant manages myself and the other two squad leaders. In his position he is very much an administrator as well as an upper level manager.

            In the field the platoon leader(officer) is running the show and the platoon sergeant takes a step back. He is still second in command technically, but if the platoon leader where to go down its the job of the 1st squad leader to take charge of the platoon and complete the mission. In the field we all get our hands dirty but the lower enlisted do nearly all of the hard labor. They are the ones digging holes, pounding pickets, filling sand bags etc. I shouldn't have to get involved in the grunt work unless we are short handed. As far as hands on experience goes I didn't just become an E-6 over night. I started as an E-1 and worked my way up, so I have had plenty of hands on experience.
            So in the case of support units I take it the higher ranking NCOs would do alot more management work. I am looking at it also from a pratical standpoint. I want to serve my country but I also want to gain skills that will help me succede in my civillian career. In the the branches I am looking at The officers do alot of the admin and management. I just wasnt sure which path is seen as more marketable when its all said in done in the real world.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: different duties

              Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
              So in the case of support units I take it the higher ranking NCOs would do alot more management work. I am looking at it also from a pratical standpoint. I want to serve my country but I also want to gain skills that will help me succede in my civillian career. In the the branches I am looking at The officers do alot of the admin and management. I just wasnt sure which path is seen as more marketable when its all said in done in the real world.
              Managing a particular field is marketable in "the real world".

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: different duties

                Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                Managing a particular field is marketable in "the real world".
                +1

                One of the best things listed on my resume is I have several years experience in management thanks to the Army.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: different duties

                  If you have the aptitude you should become an officer.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X