Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
A few questions about joining and being in the Air National Guard... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about joining and being in the Air National Guard...

Hi, my names Jon. I'm currently 16 and looking at the Air National Guard as a good possibility for my future. I figured I should post a few of my questions here, so I can have more of an idea when talking to my local recruiter. I appreciate any and all responses to any of these questions. Thanks ahead of time.

1. I was looking to do Airframe and Powerplant maintenance, but when I looked on the ANG website, it didn't list that as a job (or I didn't see it). I wanted to make sure they did have that, and if not is that something the Air Force would have instead? Or is all repair work contracted to outside companies, because I know it is possible to get a job in airframe working on military aircraft, without having to be enlisted...

2. If they do have Airframe and Powerplant jobs, do they provide you with education? And would I be FAA licensed to work on aircraft, even after I would leave the military?

3. Do Airframe and Powerplant technicians have to complete basic combat training ?

4. I am currently a junior in high school, my friend told me about this program called split op, which is completing basic training one summer, (this summer for me, junior summer) and job training the next summer. I was wondering if this program is available to ANG or Air Force ?

5. How long is an Airframe and Powerplant Maintenance Technician obligated to be enlisted ?

6. I have mild red-green colorblindness, would this affect my ability to join the guard and become an Airframe and Powerplant Maintenance Technician?

Re: A few questions about joining and being in the Air National Guard...

This forum is for the Army National Guard. And unfortunately, ones that do cater to the Air Guard are few in number and not nearly as popular as this one. :-\

Comment

Agh, okay. Thanks for the response. Do you know of any Air National Guard forums ?

Comment

Jon, my son recently joined the ANG and like Steve said it's difficult to find forums. The ones I've seen are not very active. I know as far as jobs/careers he had to take the ASVAB and selection was then based on his scores and availability. He decided to with with ANG vs the AF so he could pick and choose the area he wanted. He figured if he joined the AF, he would be placed in avionics due to his scores but was more interested in another area that didn't require as high of a score.

Kudos to you for a well-written post with punctuation! It's amazing some of the posts I see from kids in their 20's. Texting is ruining them :P Anyway, hope you can talk to a recruiter and get some answers.

Comment

Thanks for the tips CSM! Kinda disappointing about the ANG forums. Looks like I'll just have to call up the recruiter and get it figured out there, no problems though. I agree with your son, I like the idea of being able to choose the general area where I want to be. Thanks for the compliment too! I take my future seriously, so proper grammar is the least I can do!
          Thanks again!

Comment

Perhaps some Airforce forums will have sections for Air Guard....or they're just accepting of them regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by ANG-Jon View Post
              Thanks for the tips CSM! Kinda disappointing about the ANG forums. Looks like I'll just have to call up the recruiter and get it figured out there, no problems though. I agree with your son, I like the idea of being able to choose the general area where I want to be. Thanks for the compliment too! I take my future seriously, so proper grammar is the least I can do!
              Thanks again!
              One caveat, Jon. Just remember the guard is not full-time and it can cause conflict with employers or potential employers. You need to weigh all the options. Having said that, I think it's been a great decision for my son.

Comment

Just to add to what everyone else has said, the ARNG has aviation units as well. I enlisted as a 15U, chinook mechanic. I don't know if you're only interested in working on jets, but you should look into what ARMY National Guard Aviation has to offer as well.

Comment

Jon,

Yes the ANG does have aircraft mechanic positions. Army calls aircraft mechanics "repairers". You will not get your A&P certificates from the guard. They are not needed since you are maintaining military non-civilian registered aircraft. There is one exception, the LUH-72 is a commercial off the shelf (COTS) aircraft based on the Eurocopter EC-145. If I was joining today, I would seriously consider that aircraft to work on. New aircraft are nice to work on.
                  Even though you do not need your A&P to maintain most army aircraft, the times spent working on them does count towards FAR65.77. This means that after 30 months performing your job as a general mechanic,you can be eligible to take the written,oral and practical tests. You have to take documentation to your local FAA office(FSDO) and have them review your records.If they feel you meet the requirement,you get authorization to take the tests.

Yes you have to perform basic training. Its fun.

Not sure about slit /op,talk to your recruiter.

enlistment period is 6 years.

mild color blindness should be no problem however I would not advertise to too much. You can tell the recruiter, but i would keep it on the DL.

I think you are on the right track for a 16 year old. Thank you for considering a commitment to serve your state and country. Aircraft mechanics can earn a decent living once you plan on getting out. There are lots of options. Something else you may want to look into is UAVs. Not sure what is available for guard yet but this will be a hot market in the civilian world soon as the skies are now beginning to open up for them.

Comment

All military enlistments (non-prior service) total 8 years. However, nearly all of those going in to the Army/Air Guard spend 6 of those drilling and 2 on the IRR.

Comment

Thats right, 6 plus 2 on IRR. 8 total.

Comment

In addition, the recruiter can't really do anything with you until you turn 17.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! Extremely helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X