X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique SMP/ROTC question

I am currently an SMP in the Army National Guard and under scholarship at a four year university for ROTC. However this summer I learned to fly and now Id really like to change to the Air Force. I dont know if it is too late at this point or what my options are in terms of making the transfer. I am currently starting my MS3 year of ROTC and should get selected for Aviation in the Army National Guard. I have really good numbers so I doubt that the Air Force would reject me its just a matter of if its even possible in any way. (3.5 GPA, 97 Asvab, 360 on last APFT, approved by aviation selection board for NG). Does anyone know if I can do this at all? Whether by just switching to AF ROTC or if since im an SMP id need a branch transfer to Air National Guard, or is Cross commissioning an option? At this point Id pretty much do anything to switch. Dont get me wrong the Army ROTC program is great but at this point nothing seems more compeling than making a full career as an officer in the Air Force.

Re: Unique SMP/ROTC question

Best to speak with your enrollment officer at ROTC. Do you have a GRFD scholarship?

Comment

Have you talked with anyone at Air Force ROTC about this plan? It's not clear from your post that you realize the difficulties of getting into AFROTC this late in the game, and getting a pilot slot. You may be working very hard to make your life very hard.

Comment

Okay so Ive talked to AFROTC and I they are currently working on what options I have through them however I was unaware that FT is between sophomore and junior year for AF while the Army equivalent LDAC is between junior and senior year so it may be hard unless the college agrees to letting me stay an extra year to participate in the program but other than that I have explored one other option. If I qualify and I am approved for a pilot slot in the Air National Guard before I commission into the Army National Guard would that be enough to get me a conditional release since I would be being released into a specialty slot and specialty training? That is the way I interpretted the AR 140-10 Regulations. Or since I am an SMP cadet am I someone how not subject to that reg? If so shouldnt I be able to do this proved I can find and actually qualify and get selected for one of these highly competitive slots?

Comment

Weren't you selected for a highly competetive NG Job by branching aviation?

Comment

I havent officially branched anything yet. I am on track to branch aviation in the army but I am trying to find a way to branch aviation in the af or ang to compete for a fixed wing pilot spot or fighter pilot slot if possible. So im curious if anyone knows a way this can be done. Would the conditional release get approved if I was selected or what would be the denying factor? Any information or help is appreciated

Comment

I believe that you would have to pay back any money you received from ROTC, to include monthly/book stipends and tuition or room and board.

Have you spoken with your Army ROTC recruiter? He/she would know the most. Also, if your school has an ARNG liason, they would be the subject matter expert over your ARNG status.

Comment

They do I am just worried if I do bring it up and I am not able to transfer in anyway that it will look negatively on me and hold me back the rest of the time I am in the program. Idk if there is an ARNG liason from another University who uses these forums who may be of more help or who else I could contact but anyone I can be put in contact with that would actually know the ins and outs of all this would be awesome

Comment

You have several issues at play here, frankly, none of which are particularly convienent. You've obligated yourself to a particular "career path" and now wish you could so something else. While I can appreciate this on some level (I personally branch reassigned from Engineering to Transportation for example), you SIGNED an Army GRFD contract which financed your collegiate education. Bailing out of that committment can have repurcussions to your future service, and is unbecomming to the character traits you should have been developing in ROTC. I don't mean to sound like an a$$ about it, but it's not all about YOU. At the same time you're too chicken to man up to your ROTC BN and be honest about your sudden "change of heart".

Your path of LEAST resistance, is to 1. Complete Army ROTC, pass your AFAST (or whatever the new test is now), and Flight Physical. Go become branch qualified as a Rotory Wing Aviator (assuming that's what you'll be doing). After your initial GFRD MSO is completed, apply to the Air Guard/Air Force for a pilot slot.

Comment

To clear a few things up. 1. I have not received any funding from the GRFD scholarship and have already found out from my BN that i would be able to get out of it. So that has not funded my college education to this point. I would not be bailing out and do not plan too. The only way I wish to get out is if I can commission in to a fixed wing pilot slot or at least have the opportunity. As of this second I have not even received drill pay because my first official drill is coming up this weekend so even if I needed to pay that back I would be able to. As for manning up and telling my ROTC BN that is irrelavent because the guard not ROTC is the controlling party in getting a conditional release to do anything. I plan on going straight to them and talking about it this weekend at drill I just wanted to educate my self on the situation a little more so I didnt seem unprepared when I approached them. So while I appreciate that you have not actually addressed any points of my original question I would like to also thank you for pretending to know the exact scenario of my situation and telling me I'm not a man. I am trying to change to a slot that requires a 10 year contract instead of an 8 year one of the most competitive slots anywhere in the military. I would love to know how that makes me a chicken?

Comment

My one last question is. Does anyone know if an SMP can actually get a conditional release? Is there something that says SMPs are not supposed to or can't? I have already found out I can apply for a pilot slot in the Air National Guard and I am currently talking to the AF ROTC program about joining that, either way though I have to get a conditional release. According AR140-10 I should be able to or have I misinterpretted the regulations on interservice transfers? Thanks to everyone who has replied with valuable input so far.

Comment

If you have not already contracted and are not a cadet at your guard unit, I believe you would have to go about getting a conditional release signed just like any other solder. I think its a DD Form 368. If you are contracted, it may be the same process. I really don't know, I have never heard of SMP cadets becoming conditionally released from their units, but I am sure it happens (college drop outs, quit ROTC, etc.).

Good luck with your situation. If all else fails, consider flying fixed-wing for the Army.

Comment

Given the competition and statistics, I trust that you are mentally prepared to fulfill your Air Force obligation as something other than a pilot. There are all sorts of people with backgrouns as strong as yours who are not pilots. I want to confirm that you have thought that through, and have made your peace with the likelihood of doing something else.

Comment

I fully understand that LTC Ritchie. I am in no way expecting a hand out or wanting one. I am only trying to be give the opportunity to compete for my dream job and to be allowed to prove myself capable and qualified through not only my numbers but the selection boards as well. If i was unable to get a pilot slot I would still strive to serve or retire with distinctions. However after literally talking to about 40 different recruiters, officers, and other SMP cadets I have not been able to get a straight answer as to if and the stipulations of an SMP getting a conditional release. Or if it is possible do I need to decline my scholarship benifits to be eligible to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post

If all else fails, consider flying fixed-wing for the Army.
                              I was pretty confident the Army didn't have any fixed wing anymore(aside from drones) until I read your post. Turns out they do! The more you know...... However, who wouldn't want to fly a AH-64? That thing is hands down a flying death machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X