X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to join

Hey and thanks in advance for any answers i get. I am very interested in joining the guard. Always wanted to join the army since i was in jrotc in high school. Who is now my wife and i had a baby while we were in high school and since my family was not able to financialy support us 3 while i finished high school i had to drop out and work. Now im 20, married, 2 kids, have my GED, and just started college for an AAS. I took an ASVAB practice test in the army recruiting office, got a 58 as my afqt score but was soon kind of not a good choice since i just had a Ged. Kind of glad it didnt go far because at this point i am very interested in the Army NG. I have a few questions if you all dont mind.

1. I want a combat mos. Prefferably 11x with airborne that would be great. But if i do get that, will i be more active than other mos...like will it not be only 1 weekend a month 2 a year after bct and osut because that mos requires more training?

2. I have flat feet and wear glasses. None of those are an issue to me. I run with no problems and see well with my glasses.

3. What is the real difference between army reserve and NG(besides part state funded). Different training, uniforms, or what? because from what i read they are both Army.

once again thanks in advance for any answers

Re: i want to join

No one has any answers or opinions? Or maybe a similar situation?

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToServe View Post
      No one has any answers or opinions? Or maybe a similar situation?
      Try doing a little "quality control" on your posts before you submit them (proof-read, spell check, etc). If you take the time to post something coherent, you'll dramatically increase the likelihood of a response. In other words: show us a little respect and perhaps you'll be shown some in return.

Secondly, the answers to all of your questions are readily available via Google search, as well as the "search" function on this board.

Lastly, you posted this at almost 2200hrs EST and you expect an answer in two hours?

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        Try doing a little "quality control" on your posts before you submit them (proof-read, spell check, etc). If you take the time to post something coherent, you'll dramatically increase the likelihood of a response. In other words: show us a little respect and perhaps you'll be shown some in return.

Secondly, the answers to all of your questions are readily available via Google search, as well as the "search" function on this board.

Lastly, you posted this at almost 2200hrs EST and you expect an answer in two hours?
        +1. This is very important as you are going to apply the same in your pursuits for an associates degree. We do commend you for your ambitions as a young father. My suggestion is to head to the nearest recruiting office and to meet with a recruiter to answer your questions.

Comment

I am sorry i meant no disrespect with my bad spelling, i do apologize for that. I was also not trying to sound rude when i put the second reply i have searched it up believe me i was just looking for some more clear answers. once again i apologise and i guess i will just go talk to a recruiter. Thanks.

Comment

Hey and thanks in advance for any answers i get. I am very interested in joining the guard. Always wanted to join the army since i was in jrotc in high school. Who is now my wife and i had a baby while we were in high school and since my family was not able to financialy support us 3 while i finished high school i had to drop out and work. Now im 20, married, 2 kids, have my GED, and just started college for an AAS. I took an ASVAB practice test in the army recruiting office, got a 58 as my afqt score but was soon kind of not a good choice since i just had a Ged. Kind of glad it didnt go far because at this point i am very interested in the Army NG. I have a few questions if you all dont mind.
            I won't beat a dead horse, but that was tough to read, brother!

1. I want a combat mos. Prefferably 11x with airborne that would be great. But if i do get that, will i be more active than other mos...like will it not be only 1 weekend a month 2 a year after bct and osut because that mos requires more training?
            1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. There could be some extra support money to put you on orders during the week to help out the company but you will have to establish that with your unit.

2. I have flat feet and wear glasses. None of those are an issue to me. I run with no problems and see well with my glasses.
            I'm not sure about the flat feet. You are going to hate wearing glasses as a grunt. Kevlar helmets and glasses don't work well.

3. What is the real difference between army reserve and NG(besides part state funded). Different training, uniforms, or what? because from what i read they are both Army.
            Reserves fill the gap of the active duty component while Guard serves a dual role. Same training, same pay, same uniforms, same ID, same PT test, not totally the same missions.

On top of the 2 hour comment made by the LT, it was 2200 EST. I was knocked out by then.

Comment

Thank you so much. That answer to number 3 helped me know i really want to go guard. Again thanks for clearing some things up for me, and about the glasses do you know if i get LASIK to not have to wear glasses would it pdq me? Or is it better or even possible to get it after i join?(If i am able to join)

Comment

Thank you so much. That answer to number 3 helped me know i really want to go guard. Again thanks for clearing some things up for me, and about the glasses do you know if i get LASIK to not have to wear glasses would it pdq me? Or is it better or even possible to get it after i join?(If i am able to join)
                Many service members have had LASIK including aviators. I'm looking to get it done myself in the coming months. Honestly I would wait till after you are already in the military to get it done so that you don't complicate the enlistment process. Going through basic and AIT with glasses wont be fun but its only a few months. My eyes have been good enough to where I'm not required to wear glasses but I'm right on the line. How bad are your eyes?

Comment

Thanks and yes i rather just wait, thanks for the advice. I really dont know how bad, but i think is bad. I can see the obvious and drive without my glasses but i really rather wear them that way i have no problems seeing names in street signs and things like that. I struggle alot to read and see far but with my glasses im good. My eye doctor told me something about being correctible with glasses. Why the question? Think it might be PDQ?

Comment

Thanks and yes i rather just wait, thanks for the advice. I really dont know how bad, but i think is bad. I can see the obvious and drive without my glasses but i really rather wear them that way i have no problems seeing names in street signs and things like that. I struggle alot to read and see far but with my glasses im good. My eye doctor told me something about being correctible with glasses. Why the question? Think it might be PDQ?
                    No I don't think it will be a DQ but I'm not a doctor. If you doctor says you are correctable and you can see really well while wearing glasses then you will proabably be just fine.

Comment

Thank you for the anwsers SGT hope it all goes smoothly and i am able to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                        I'm looking to get [Lasik] done myself in the coming months.
                        For military and law enforcement types, I highly recommend PRK over Lasik. Lasik will disqualify you from certain specialty schools (I believe HALO is among them) and may make you more susceptible to issues in the future as a result of being struck in the eye. It is also more likely to result in complications during the operation. I had PRK to correct my astigmatism and I am now 20/20 in both eyes. Any doctor who can perform Lasik can also perform PRK.

Definitely do some research on this and speak to your doctor about the various procedures (Lasik, Lasek, PRK) before you pull the trigger.

Comment

That is very helpful i will do some research i have time to decide what to get since either way im going to wait until i enlist. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            For military and law enforcement types, I highly recommend PRK over Lasik. Lasik will disqualify you from certain specialty schools (I believe HALO is among them) and may make you more susceptible to issues in the future as a result of being struck in the eye. It is also more likely to result in complications during the operation. I had PRK to correct my astigmatism and I am now 20/20 in both eyes. Any doctor who can perform Lasik can also perform PRK.

Definitely do some research on this and speak to your doctor about the various procedures (Lasik, Lasek, PRK) before you pull the trigger.
                            Thanks for the heads up sir. I'm not really concerned with be DQed from MFF or CDQC because the chance I would ever be able to go to either of those kick ass schools without being 18 series is pretty much zero. BUT, I am concerned about trauma to my eyes in the case of a big IED that goes off next to my vehicle while doing route clearance in trashghanistan in the coming months. It seems there is much less risk in this scinario with PRK over Lasik. And PRK is on average cheaper then Lasik so thats a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                              Thanks for the heads up sir. I'm not really concerned with be DQed from MFF or CDQC because the chance I would ever be able to go to either of those kick ass schools without being 18 series is pretty much zero. BUT, I am concerned about trauma to my eyes in the case of a big IED that goes off next to my vehicle while doing route clearance in trashghanistan in the coming months. It seems there is much less risk in this scinario with PRK over Lasik. And PRK is on average cheaper then Lasik so thats a bonus.
                              There is a long list of reasons to choose PRK over LASiK. Pretty much everyone should find at least one of them compelling. Just the fact that the creation of the epithelial flap (which does not occur in PRK at all) is a major source of complications was enough to make me go with PRK over LASiK. But in addition, regardless of where you see your career taking you, I see no point in disqualifying yourself from schools/MOSes if it's not medically necessary.

Most of the doctors in my area seem to charge the same regardless of the procedure. I had mine done in NYC and it was $4200 for both eyes. Make sure you read as much as you can about selecting a surgeon; personally, I would recommend that whoever you choose be FACS accredited (Fellow of American College of Surgeons).

Comment

Working...
                              X