X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please.

I have a question regarding enlisting. When I was 18 I tried to enlist in the Army, but I was also a dumbass and pissed hot for THC at MEPS. I was naive and went in after cleaning out for only 3 weeks (I had passed an at home drug screen). That was 10 years ago and was also the last time I used marijuana. Since then I've grown up, I have a family of 5, I completed my Applied Science and Arts Associates, and I have a career that has helped me fulfill most of my expectations. Except one... The call of duty is beckoning me to this day and what I need to know (before I possibly waste another recruiters time) is even though the waiver policies are changed, will my 10 year old mistake still PDQ me from service? Even if the offense happened before the waiver policies were changed?

I've been looking this over.

Summary of Changes
    USMEPCOM Regulation 40-8
    Medical Services
    Department of Defense (DoD) Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Testing Program and Drug and
    Alcohol Testing (DAT) Program
    This major revision, November 1, 2009, has extensive changes throughout. Major changes have not
    been identified.

Here is the link: http://www.mepcom.army.mil/publicati...r-0040-008.pdf

I've been reading it over and haven't found much to help me from being PDQ'd, but I haven't found anything that says I am either...

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Dso999; September 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM.

Re: Help Please.

You would have to get a waiver and right now it's probably not gonna happen.

Comment

I figured as much. I'm sure because of recent events that the military isn't as "in need" as say 5 or 10 years ago. All I know is if **** in Egypt or Libya hits the fan, they better let this guy have a waiver! I respect everything you guys do and I'm ashamed I cannot fight beside you.

Comment

I'm not sure if you fall under this category, but any Prior Service that came up positive for a drug test is not qualified to re-enlist at this time. No waivers are being accepted. If this is not you, then HR NCO is correct. You would need a waiver, and the National Guard has really cracked down on drug use in recent years, so it will be tough.

Comment

Would MEPS hold the 10 year old paper work indefinitely? Or does it become nullified after a certain period of time? I know it sounds extremely stupid, but what if I were to not say anything to a recruiter (although I would rather not, it goes against Army value and I still feel bad wasting my first recruiters time) and go through MEPS and pass the UA? Or would my deviant past come back to haunt me? I would love nothing more than to have a chance to serve. I know that it is a privilege and not a right to fight for this country and I just want to make sure I exhaust all of my options before kissing my dream goodbye!
          Last edited by Dso999; September 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Your DAT failure is part of your permanent military record. In theory, the regulation (AR 601-210, pg 43) states that there are waivers available for positive drug tests. For your situation, being 10 years after testing positive for marijuana, you would qualify for a waiver. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, no waivers for DAT failures are currently being accepted. You can talk to your recruiter to verify, but I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time moving forward in the current enlistment climate.

Comment

Eh don't know if this still applies but when I joined 6 years ago the policy they briefed to us was if you pissed hot at MEPS you would have to wait 6 months to reapply...

Comment

Originally posted by alec.kidd View Post
                Eh don't know if this still applies but when I joined 6 years ago the policy they briefed to us was if you pissed hot at MEPS you would have to wait 6 months to reapply...
                Even after those 6 months you would have needed a waiver, and those aren't happening right now.

Comment

Originally posted by alec.kidd View Post
                  Actually, if you referred to the source I sited, page 43, you'll see that the 6 month period still applies. However, as HR NCO reiterated, you would need a waiver and those are currently suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    Actually, if you referred to the source I sited, page 43, you'll see that the 6 month period still applies. However, as HR NCO reiterated, you would need a waiver and those are currently suspended.
                    Eh guess thats the problem with only remembering bits and pieces.

Comment

Working...
                    X