X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard MP questions.

Hey guys, I'm interested in some more information about the National Guard MP program and hoping for some info/advice from the forum.

I'm currently 25 years old and started working full time right out of high school. I've always been interested in the military/law enforcement and one day hope to become a police officer or state trooper. I've taken the civil service exams in my state and have gone through the process and interviewed with a local Police dept when I was 23 but unfortunately did not get hired.

I still want to pursue a law enforcement career and I was thinking of going National Guard reserves for the MP program which is offered in my state, and still continue to work full time. My other option is to take night/weekend classes at a local college to get my associate or bachelors degree in criminal justice as well as pick up another language such as Spanish.

I'm looking for some advice/info given my current age and having no prior college or military experience. I would like to serve my country and think it would be a great experience/change but I also want to pick the right route in order for me to achieve my career goals.

Thanks -Mike

Re: National Guard MP questions.

Being a MP wont help you any more in becoming a civilian police officer then a cook or an infantryman. If you really want to be a MP because of mission and job then thats perfectly fine. But don't choose MP simply because you want to be a civilian LEO, you may end up hating being a NG MP. NG MP's don't do much in the ways of law enforcement because there are no bases or posts for them to patrol during the monthly drill. As for a degree, many LEO's I've talked to have said stay away from a degree in criminal justice. There are hundreds of applicants with CJ degrees. Broadening your skill set with a different degree could look much better. Learning a second language is a great idea.

Comment

There's a lot of information on here about Military Policy, being a popular MOS. I would recommend taking a look around, and seeing if you can chime in on some of the other conversations that have been started.

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but here is some basic information about MPs. Hopefully it's helpful to you: Military Police

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
        Being a MP wont help you any more in becoming a civilian police officer then a cook or an infantryman. If you really want to be a MP because of mission and job then thats perfectly fine. But don't choose MP simply because you want to be a civilian LEO, you may end up hating being a NG MP. NG MP's don't do much in the ways of law enforcement because there are no bases or posts for them to patrol during the monthly drill. As for a degree, many LEO's I've talked to have said stay away from a degree in criminal justice. There are hundreds of applicants with CJ degrees. Broadening your skill set with a different degree could look much better. Learning a second language is a great idea.
        As far as a different degree what would look better than a criminal justice degree?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          There's a lot of information on here about Military Policy, being a popular MOS. I would recommend taking a look around, and seeing if you can chime in on some of the other conversations that have been started.

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but here is some basic information about MPs. Hopefully it's helpful to you: Military Police
          Ya i looked at that before thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
            +100.

OP: I will give you the same advice I give everyone else. Not because I think everyone is the same, but because I think it's universally applicable. Join the military and go into whichever MOS interests you the most in and of itself, regardless of its civilian applicability. Take your state and federal education benefits and get a degree in something marketable (hint: NOT CJ). When you apply for an LEO job, you will have a unique combination of degree and military service. That beats the hell out of the cookie cutter applicants who made it up to E4 as a 31B or hold a bachelor's degree in CJ with a 2.2 GPA from Mom and Pop's University.

This way, you'll be getting a degree that you can fall back on in case the LEO thing doesn't work out, and you will not have enlisted for an MOS with the futile hope that it would somehow "make" your resume (it won't). In other words, you have avoided putting your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan12 View Post
              Ya i looked at that before thanks though!
              No problem! Just making sure you have the basics down.

Comment

Being an MP and working civilian law enforcement, the only accurate comment in this thread is MPs don't focus heavily on the LE mission.

There's nothing wrong with a CJ degree major/minor as long you get it from a decent school. If possible, learning a language and being be able to speak it profiently would help.

Get study guides for taking the exams and smoke the PT test. Make sure your background is clean ect. Oh and keep trying even if you have applied before. I can't think of one person who applied and was hired at the only agency they applied for.

Don't pick a MOS solely based off the idea that it will help in your civilian career. Pick something that you'll actually enjoy going to drill to do. See if you can visit the unit first before making your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                  There's nothing wrong with a CJ degree major/minor as long you get it from a decent school.
                  As long as you're 100% certain that under no circumstances will you ever, EVER want (or have) to go into a field other than law enforcement. In that case, you're completely and irreparably screwed.

Please name one single field other than law enforcement in which a CJ degree is valued whatsoever. By "valued," I mean that it is preferred over some other kind of degree. Better yet, name a non-LE field in which a CJ degree is valued more than an engineering or computer science degree.

Actually, let's generalize the above. Can you name a single law enforcement agency that states publicly (on its website) that it wants candidates with degrees specifically in CJ, as opposed to other disciplines?

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with a CJ degree major/minor as long you get it from a decent school
                    No one said there was anything wrong with it. It is just not the best choice. And, when we are talking about CJ, what exactly is a "decent school". Its not like we are talking about a business major where AACSB accreditation can matter.

Comment

How about forensic accounting or public administration for example?

Comment

The silence is deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          No one said there was anything wrong with it. It is just not the best choice. And, when we are talking about CJ, what exactly is a "decent school". Its not like we are talking about a business major where AACSB accreditation can matter.
                          I'd stay away from schools for profit, ie ITT, Univeristy of Phoenix ect.

How about forensic accounting or public administration for example?
                          If you were looking at certain 1811/Special Agent positions, especially if those jobs/agencies dealt with financial crime against the government (civilian Army CID).

Comment

Working...
                          X