X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 9/11 GI Bill Question about national guard

I just did 3.5 years active duty with an honorable discharge including a good conduct medal and multiple other accolades, i now have 4.5 years in the national guard, if for some reason i was discharged from the national guard in any way other than honorable could i lose my post 9/11 GI Bill? or do i keep it because ive gotten an honorable discharge from active duty?

Thanks in advance

Re: Post 9/11 GI Bill Question about national guard

I'm not sure I follow your question. It sounds like you're asking if you would still get this incentive if you are discharged from the National Guard. If so, the answer is no. You only receive this incentive if you are enlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I'm not sure I follow your question. It sounds like you're asking if you would still get this incentive if you are discharged from the National Guard. If so, the answer is no. You only receive this incentive if you are enlisted.
      I was active duty, i was honorably discharged, i am going to school now on the post 9/11 GI Bill now but am in the national guard, if for whatever reason i got discharged under any circumstances would i still keep my post 9/11 GI bill? or can they still take that away?

Comment

OK...If you were discharged, you would lose it UNTIL you re-enlisted again. With that being said, you do have a cap on how much GI Bill you can receive. You have 10 years to use it and the total amount is enough to cover a four year degree at a state university, attending full time.

Does this answer your question?

Comment

Sounds like someone might be in danger of getting booted from the NG.

Comment

OK...If you were discharged, you would lose it UNTIL you re-enlisted again. With that being said, you do have a cap on how much GI Bill you can receive. You have 10 years to use it and the total amount is enough to cover a four year degree at a state university, attending full time.

Does this answer your question?
            ??????????

Comment

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
              ??????????
              In other words, as I stated in the beginning, you can't use this incentive unless you are on active status. Once the OP is discharged he won't be able to use it. Now, if he re-enlisted AGAIN, he would then be able to continue to use his GI Bill. Make more sense?

Comment

In other words, as I stated in the beginning, you can't use this incentive unless you are on active status. Once the OP is discharged he won't be able to use it. Now, if he re-enlisted AGAIN, he would then be able to continue to use his GI Bill. Make more sense?
                I couldn't let this misinformation continue with my absence.....what are you talking about? The OP is asking about the post 9/11 GI Bill....not chapter 1606 or 1607. You do not need to be in any type of duty status to use this benefit. You could be active duty, reserve, or joe schmoe citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by dsieck89 View Post
                  I just did 3.5 years active duty with an honorable discharge including a good conduct medal and multiple other accolades, i now have 4.5 years in the national guard, if for some reason i was discharged from the national guard in any way other than honorable could i lose my post 9/11 GI Bill? or do i keep it because ive gotten an honorable discharge from active duty?

Thanks in advance
                  If you got booted from the national guard, you would not lose the post 9/11 Gi bill benefit. For one, National Guard service without active duty can not qualify someone for the post 9/11 Gi Bill, therefore, it cannot disqualify you either.

Moreover, a period of "non honorable" service of some type, does not neccessarily diminish the "honorable" period of service which the benefit is due. Believe it or not, there are inmates at Fort Leavenworth serving sentences who are taking online classes using the GI Bill from previous periods of honorable service in which they still retained the benefit.

Comment

Mods, cut me a break on this one, I had to get it on track.

Comment

LOL! Was it a temp ban or a perma ban? Should have just waited it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                        LOL! Was it a temp ban or a perma ban? Should have just waited it out.
                        I was suspended for a week, for calling someone (who was dumb) dumb or something like that. I actually care about the information being put out to Soldiers / future Soldiers.
                        Last edited by matthew.ritchie; September 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Nope not in danger of getting kicked out, ive maintained the standard, and to all who gave their input i appreciate it.

Comment

Your latest discharge will supersede your priors. And that is what was explained to me but I did not know Paralegal was banned and has a new identity lol. If that is the case; then I am shocked that is actually the case. I was always told differently. But if they did input their 1200 dollars for the year and received an honorable discharge and the VA does not know they current status; then I do not know. But if the legal rep is saying that is the case; then that is the case. Personally, I would suggest that you serve your term and receive a full honorable for your period of service.
                            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                              Your latest discharge will supersede your priors. And that is what was explained to me but I did not know Paralegal was banned and has a new identity lol. If that is the case; then I am shocked that is actually the case. I was always told differently. But if they did input their 1200 dollars for the year and received an honorable discharge and the VA does not know they current status; then I do not know. But if the legal rep is saying that is the case; then that is the case. Personally, I would suggest that you serve your term and receive a full honorable for your period of service.
                              For generic purposes, I'm 100% sure, although I know that varies from the norm of what people assume. I can't even think of an instance where the va would look at an NGB 22 for anything, especially when talking about the post 9/11 gi bill - an active duty benefit.

If we start talking about treason convictions and national security criminal violations, that is most likely a different story, but obviously that is rare anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X