Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about time away and units in TN?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about time away and units in TN?

Looking for some info on how long i can expect to be away from home (on avg.) after initial training. I understand deployments happen but like do you have alot of TDY's and exercises you have to attend?

Some back ground, I'm currently ADAF Intel, (so please keep all the "don't join if you don't want to be gone all the time" answers to yourself, I've been gone over half my marriage) and am looking at doing something less support oriented and more frontline hands on. I have mostly looked at 11b but am open to others.

Also looking for info on units in TN, as that is home after i seperate. Any people in TN that can offer advice or talk about experiences with their units.

Thanks for the help.

All for Freedom

"LUBE"

Re: Questions about time away and units in TN?

Aside from deployments, one weekend a month, two-three weeks a year. Follow on training and schools depend on the unit, funding and state. Some people can be offered schools for additional duties, additional skill identifier(ASI) requirements and then turn them down. I've known many people that turn down schools. Personally, I take 99.9% of what is offered to me. I turned down the 4 day class to get certified to drive a bus though, didn't want to get slapped with that extra duty lol!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had read where some people had spent 3-4 months a year gone, and that is not something i'm interested in. It's good to know you have some decision on training.

Comment

Where in TN will you be living?

Comment

Originally posted by "LUBE" View Post
          Thanks for the info. I had read where some people had spent 3-4 months a year gone, and that is not something i'm interested in. It's good to know you have some decision on training.
          That is definately not typical for the traditional guardsman. There will be some schools that your can't(shouldn't) pass up like professional development classes(NCOES for the army) and if you are assigned an ASI or SQI according to your specific position in the unit its a really good idea to not pass those schools up either. But beyond that your looking at one weekend a month two-three weeks a year unless the MOS you choose requires additional time beyond the norm such as aviation. They have to log X amount of hours of flying a week. But in general the large majority of traditonal guardsman are only one weekend, two-three weeks.

Comment

Hey lubey, I guess since you are USAF; you probably just been married for a year lol.

Matter of fact, I knew airmen in the Air National Guard that were gone more than soldiers in the ARNG. Every drill they were gone on a flight far away.

Comment

Also, depending on what MOS you end up choosing (and what unit), you may just spend your AT near your home of record and may be able sleep in your own bed at night.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                But beyond that your looking at one weekend a month two-three weeks a year unless the MOS you choose requires additional time beyond the norm such as aviation. They have to log X amount of hours of flying a week.
                I didn't realize that. I'm going in as a 15U, CH-47 repairer. Would I be required to work with my unit on a weekly basis as a mechanic?

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
                  I didn't realize that. I'm going in as a 15U, CH-47 repairer. Would I be required to work with my unit on a weekly basis as a mechanic?
                  No. For mechanics the state should have federal techs working during the week to do maintenece on the birds. By fed techs I mean 15U qualified individuals, probably in your unit, working as a federal employee. They wear the uniform during the week but their pay is based on the federal pay system. The days working as a fed tech do not count towards a military retirement.

People that have an MOS that requires they log X amount of flight hours a month would have to come in more often.

Comment

I'll be living near Chattanooga TN, and cityslicker i wish. I've spent my entire time at a fighter squadron so i'm gone quite a bit.

Any advice on which MOS, looking for something more frontline, no office jobs?
                    Also any TN dudes with base advice?

Comment

Depends on your definition of front line. Do you want to be combat arms, combat support or combat service support? If your looking to be in the dirt and in the fight then look at 11b, 12b, 13f, and 19d. Many other jobs do go out to the field and some quite often even while not being combat arms. What are you wanting to get out of the Army?

Comment

Combat arms is what i'm looking at. As far as getting out of the army... I would have to say a sense of comradrie (sp?) that for the most part doesn't really exist in the AF. I am a bit done with always being in a support role (not knocking it, i'm just done with it), and want to go do the work. I'm not really looking for any specific job training. I'm working on my masters in psychology and have all the clearances I need from doing Intel. While in the AF i have always got along better with the Army bros i worked with. While deployed i always hung out with our GLOs.

Comment

Originally posted by "LUBE" View Post
                          Combat arms is what i'm looking at. As far as getting out of the army... I would have to say a sense of comradrie (sp?) that for the most part doesn't really exist in the AF. I am a bit done with always being in a support role (not knocking it, i'm just done with it), and want to go do the work. I'm not really looking for any specific job training. I'm working on my masters in psychology and have all the clearances I need from doing Intel. While in the AF i have always got along better with the Army bros i worked with. While deployed i always hung out with our GLOs.
                          Look at the job descriptions for those 4 MOS' I listed above. I'm a 12B so if you have any specific questions about combat engineer I can help. I was also a 13E(first MOS) in a field artillery battery so for the FA side I can lend some experience too.

Comment

Working...
                          X