X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions I have about my son joining

Hi...I have a 19 yr old son who has applied the Guard. He got a 72 on the ASVAB. I have a number of questions.

1. Is 72 a decent score on the ASVAB? Will there be a number of possible opportunities for training?
    2. I saw some older threads about the steps for basic training and then job training....doesn't the regular army 10 week basic training come first and then job training?
    3. Is the one weekend a month supposed to be job training? If so, how can someone be properly trained when going only one weekend a month?
    4. He would like to make the Guard a full-time job. I was always under the impression that the Guard was part time (one weekend a month, two weeks during the summer, and then when called up by the US or the state Governor). Can he actually make the Guard a full time job from the time he joins?
    5. Are there places, if he can work full time for the Guard, where he could live on an army base?
    6. He only has a GED. The other branches of the military would not even consider letting him join without having 15 college credits. If he joins the Guard and then at some point wants to join another branch of the military, would the college credits still be required?
    7. If is is able to join another branch, does he first have to fulfill the 8 yr commitment to the Guard?

Thanks!

Re: Questions I have about my son joining

1. Is 72 a decent score on the ASVAB? Will there be a number of possible opportunities for training?

It would make most jobs available probably

2. I saw some older threads about the steps for basic training and then job training....doesn't the regular army 10 week basic training come first and then job training?

Yes, the same as regular army

3. Is the one weekend a month supposed to be job training? If so, how can someone be properly trained when going only one weekend a month?

No, he would complete the training on active duty

4. He would like to make the Guard a full-time job. I was always under the impression that the Guard was part time (one weekend a month, two weeks during the summer, and then when called up by the US or the state Governor). Can he actually make the Guard a full time job from the time he joins?

While it "could" be a possibility some time down the road, no one should ever enlist thinking they will get a full time guard job. They are very competitive and few and far between.

5. Are there places, if he can work full time for the Guard, where he could live on an army base?

This is one of those "cross that bridge if he comes to it", but getting a full time guard job is so far out this question really doesn't even matter.

6. He only has a GED. The other branches of the military would not even consider letting him join without having 15 college credits. If he joins the Guard and then at some point wants to join another branch of the military, would the college credits still be required?

He would need the 15 college credits before joining the Guard too.

7. If is is able to join another branch, does he first have to fulfill the 8 yr commitment to the Guard?

Generally speaking yes, well at least his initial 6 year enlistment.

Comment

+1000 Dead on accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post

He would need the 15 college credits before joining the Guard too.
        [/B]
        Thanks for the really prompt reply!

A follow-up on #6:

The Guard is the only branch in which we've seen job offerings that will take high school diploma or GED. The recruiter has led him to believe he will be able to get in with the GED plus the (?)AIMS test and one other. Is that not accurate? The recruiter is having him go by the office tomorrow morning to look over the available MOS. Would he be asking that if he wasn't expecting my son to at least have a decent shot of being accepted?

Comment

Originally posted by krus54 View Post
          Thanks for the really prompt reply!

A follow-up on #6:

The Guard is the only branch in which we've seen job offerings that will take high school diploma or GED. The recruiter has led him to believe he will be able to get in with the GED plus the (?)AIMS test and one other. Is that not accurate? The recruiter is having him go by the office tomorrow morning to look over the available MOS. Would he be asking that if he wasn't expecting my son to at least have a decent shot of being accepted?
          These things from change from time to time or even state to state. Perhaps your recruiter can do something for him.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            These things from change from time to time or even state to state. Perhaps your recruiter can do something for him.
            Thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

You're asking a lot of the right questions krus54! Keep them coming! I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but there's a whole parents section on the National Guard website that answers a lot of the more basic questions about the National Guard and what you and your son can expect. Take a look: Parents FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                You're asking a lot of the right questions krus54! Keep them coming! I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but there's a whole parents section on the National Guard website that answers a lot of the more basic questions about the National Guard and what you and your son can expect. Take a look: Parents FAQ
                Wow! Thanks for the note. I had no idea there was a parents section on the site.

I think the recruiter must be fairly confident my son will be accepted because he had him pick out a number of MOS to apply for....

Comment

My ds recently joined the Air National Guard, and I had a lot of questions too. He's looking at Basic in Nov., then Tech School, then on the job training, and any additional classes/education he can do. However, he's planning on participating in the Tough Mudder before then.

He took the ASVAB cold and thought about retaking it,but his recruiter said there was no sense in it since his scores were high enough to qualify for whatever he wanted to do. He debated between enlisted vs. the Guard and decided on the latter due to having a choice of positions. Based on his scores he figured they would put him in electronics when he preferred Intel which required a lower score. He thinks his high scores in electronics was more intuitive than anything else, since he has never taken anything that would prepare him to do well in that area. Subsequently, even though he felt he could do it, he didn't have foundational knowledge to do well.

I'm glad he enlisted. I think it's a great opportunity and that being in the military will challenge him in ways he hasn't been challenged before. Good luck to your son!

Comment

Working...
                  X