Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

    So yea, I took my ASVAB and passed, but I thought I did poor. I was offered a job, and took it, but I did not know you needed to score a certain amount to get TA, and the Loan Repayment. I was about to sign until I noticed this. So I vowed to take the ASVAB again. Before I can, I had gone to Puerto Rico to see my Grandmother, as she is not well so I came here. My recruiter I told him this, and has not kept in contact with me.

    I get back on Wednesday and I want to take the ASVAB again and depart Early October as I had planned. I would like a different recruiter, as I didn't feel quite confident with one I had. As I was not told NOTHING about the TA, or the kicker and I did mention I want to go back to College and finish my 28 credits to obtain my Bachelors.

    Someone please help me, and if this is possible please let me know!

    PM me with info or answer here.

    I am serious and want to start a career at the Guard.

  • #2
    Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

    I'm not sure what your question is here, but if you're asking "can I get another recruiter", the answer is yes. If you'd like to re-take the ASVAB, you certainly can do that, too. In fact, you can take it as many times as you like. My advice would be to identify the areas you'd like to improve and study those areas. Here's a complete list of what's on the test to get you started: ASVAB

    And as far as "not knowing" about certain things on your contract, this is understandable but avoidable. There's a lot to take in, however, no one is going to take your enlistment as seriously as you are. So, consider this a learning experience. Try to ask lots of questions, do a lot of research, and ALWAYS read what you're signing before hand.

    Overall, it sounds like waiting ended up being the best decision seeing as you got the opportunity to visit your Grandmother before you left for training.

    Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

      They have study guides out for the ASVAB that may or may not be helpful depending on where you are struggling on the test. The Mechanical and Electrical areas tend to be the ones where a lot of people struggle and I think any one of the study guides available would help. There are also a lot of free practice tests online you can take to work on the test as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

        I used Kaplan's study guide and it was very helpful! The practice tests in the book were way harder than the actual ASVAB itself and I ended up with a 94. Don't use the ASVAB for Dummies book as a lot of the "Correct Answers" were in fact incorrect. On a high note your physical is good for 2 years so at least you don't have to go through that again!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

          Originally posted by luisds87 View Post
          So yea, I took my ASVAB and passed, but I thought I did poor. I was offered a job, and took it, but I did not know you needed to score a certain amount to get TA, and the Loan Repayment. I was about to sign until I noticed this. So I vowed to take the ASVAB again. Before I can, I had gone to Puerto Rico to see my Grandmother, as she is not well so I came here. My recruiter I told him this, and has not kept in contact with me.

          I get back on Wednesday and I want to take the ASVAB again and depart Early October as I had planned. I would like a different recruiter, as I didn't feel quite confident with one I had. As I was not told NOTHING about the TA, or the kicker and I did mention I want to go back to College and finish my 28 credits to obtain my Bachelors.

          Someone please help me, and if this is possible please let me know!

          PM me with info or answer here.

          I am serious and want to start a career at the Guard.
          You have to have a certain ASVAB score to rate TA, SLRP, etc??? Is that right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

            Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
            You have to have a certain ASVAB score to rate TA, SLRP, etc??? Is that right?
            Tuition Assistance, no, but with the SLRP, yes. You have to have a minimum of 50 on the ASVAB. I've posted this before, but take a look at the Benefits stickies for more information: SLRP

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

              Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              I'm not sure what your question is here, but if you're asking "can I get another recruiter", the answer is yes. If you'd like to re-take the ASVAB, you certainly can do that, too. In fact, you can take it as many times as you like. My advice would be to identify the areas you'd like to improve and study those areas. Here's a complete list of what's on the test to get you started: ASVAB

              And as far as "not knowing" about certain things on your contract, this is understandable but avoidable. There's a lot to take in, however, no one is going to take your enlistment as seriously as you are. So, consider this a learning experience. Try to ask lots of questions, do a lot of research, and ALWAYS read what you're signing before hand.

              Overall, it sounds like waiting ended up being the best decision seeing as you got the opportunity to visit your Grandmother before you left for training.

              Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions!

              Thanks for the response!

              I'm looking forward to enlisting, as I was in Puerto Rico I was also studying! I am back in the states now. I was hoping someone here can lead me to a recruiter in Brooklyn or Queens NY.

              I've sent an E-mail and no response as of yet. I don't know what's going on.

              I also have a question. The Air Force National Guard. Where do the drills take place? As I know there are no AF bases in NY.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

                It's funny. I just tried to log on to my Path Of Honor and it says my account has been disabled.

                Sigh....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

                  Call PTH to have it reactivated!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Finished MEPS and all.... (Read for more info)

                    Originally posted by luisds87 View Post
                    It's funny. I just tried to log on to my Path Of Honor and it says my account has been disabled.

                    Sigh....
                    Sounds like you need to contact the help desk. Here's their number: 1-866-529-1354

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X