Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

    I am a week into AIT and trying to figure out my plans for the near future. At the present moment, I'm planning on relocating to a state where my family loves. The issue with this is that I want to go to college once I'm situated, but I don't know if they're on deployment/will be deploying. The whole reason I joined guard over RA is that I wanted school to be a priority. If I'm forced to deploy however, it defeats my purpose for doing so. I've been told that if I'm enrolled in school, I cannot be deployed, but I'd rather hear that from someone who isn't just a BCT/AIT student. If someone would enlighten me on the subject, I would be extremely grateful.

  • #2
    Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

    Originally posted by zealot1160 View Post
    The whole reason I joined guard over RA is that I wanted school to be a priority. If I'm forced to deploy however, it defeats my purpose for doing so.
    You got it wrong.

    You SHOULD have joined the guard for the honor of serving your country. The guard is paying your college as a BENEFIT, not a right.

    Yes, you can still be deployed even if you are in college.

    Work hard, finish strong in AIT, and go on to school. The war is dwindling down, but you may still stand a chance on going.

    Deployment is an education in and of itself. School will still be there when you get back.

    Good luck!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

      Originally posted by zealot1160 View Post
      I am a week into AIT and trying to figure out my plans for the near future. At the present moment, I'm planning on relocating to a state where my family loves. The issue with this is that I want to go to college once I'm situated, but I don't know if they're on deployment/will be deploying. The whole reason I joined guard over RA is that I wanted school to be a priority. If I'm forced to deploy however, it defeats my purpose for doing so. I've been told that if I'm enrolled in school, I cannot be deployed, but I'd rather hear that from someone who isn't just a BCT/AIT student. If someone would enlighten me on the subject, I would be extremely grateful.
      So you joined the Guard, but don't want to deploy? You just want the taxpayers to foot the bill for your college education?

      Sorry kid, that ain't the way it works.

      You can be deployed at any time, with zero notice, to anywhere in the world, for any amount of time, regardless of your academic enrollment status. I had one week of notice before I was on federal orders for my first tour in 2004 (as a freshman in college), and I didn't see home for 15 months. I wouldn't change a damn thing if given the chance.

      Hopefully you will feel the calling soon and heed it. Good luck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

        Originally posted by zealot1160 View Post
        I am a week into AIT and trying to figure out my plans for the near future. At the present moment, I'm planning on relocating to a state where my family loves. The issue with this is that I want to go to college once I'm situated, but I don't know if they're on deployment/will be deploying. The whole reason I joined guard over RA is that I wanted school to be a priority. If I'm forced to deploy however, it defeats my purpose for doing so. I've been told that if I'm enrolled in school, I cannot be deployed, but I'd rather hear that from someone who isn't just a BCT/AIT student. If someone would enlighten me on the subject, I would be extremely grateful.
        If you're enrolled in school you CAN be deployed...and hopefully it happens.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

          Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
          You got it wrong.

          You SHOULD have joined the guard for the honor of serving your country. The guard is paying your college as a BENEFIT, not a right.

          Yes, you can still be deployed even if you are in college.

          Work hard, finish strong in AIT, and go on to school. The war is dwindling down, but you may still stand a chance on going.

          Deployment is an education in and of itself. School will still be there when you get back.

          Good luck!!!
          IMHO; I think that is #9 or outside the top ten for many of these young kids that join today and even many others from yesteryear.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

            I was deployed fresh out of AIT in 2004 and at that time was enrolled in my freshman year of college. Spent 15 months deployed and came back just in time to start the spring 2006 semester. It can happen and it does happen to soldiers, often.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

              Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              IMHO; I think that is #9 or outside the top ten for many of these young kids that join today and even many others from yesteryear.
              Isn't that the truth!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

                To put all of this nonsense about abusing the taxpayers and a lack patriotism; NO, I DID NOT JUST JOIN FOR COLLEGE BENEFITS.
                To be specific, I wanted to go active AT A LATER TIME, and go through the warrant officer program. But I refuse to go into it with nothing, because should something happen, I'd have little less to fall back on then a highschool education, which isn't much nowadays. That said, I would be taking college for the time being, and after finishing my associates at the very least, which would be when my active status would be up, I would consider trying to re-enlist and go on from there. My education, however, is a priority.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

                  Originally posted by zealot1160 View Post
                  To put all of this nonsense about abusing the taxpayers and a lack patriotism; NO, I DID NOT JUST JOIN FOR COLLEGE BENEFITS.
                  To be specific, I wanted to go active AT A LATER TIME, and go through the warrant officer program. But I refuse to go into it with nothing, because should something happen, I'd have little less to fall back on then a highschool education, which isn't much nowadays. That said, I would be taking college for the time being, and after finishing my associates at the very least, which would be when my active status would be up, I would consider trying to re-enlist and go on from there. My education, however, is a priority.
                  And? I got a Bachelors degree while on active duty (infantry), deploying 3 times and spending countless months training. Like it or not, when the military calls it becomes the priority. If you wanted to focus just on college then you should not have enlisted until you were done. ROTC would have been a good option for you. Because right now regardless of what you SAY or THINK your statements reveal that you enlisted PRIMARILY (not only) for the college benefits. If you still don't believe this then you are lying to yourself.

                  That being said, I am leaving active duty for a reason; one is that I want to spend more time with my family. While I do not invision myself volunteering for a 12 month deployment I am not going to try to hide from it either. Suck it up, hope you don't deploy but make the best of it if you do..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

                    To add to all of this, if you DO deploy, your education benefits (ie Montgomery GI Bill Post 911) will actually increase. So, accept the commitment you made and make the best of it if a deployment does happen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

                      Seems to me that education was that tie-breaker for going Guard as opposed to the reserve, but not necessarily your primary motivation - in other words, the lone differentiating factor (education) doesn't automatically make it the primary motivating factor, but instead could've just been one of many equally-weighted factors; the proverbial coin that tipped the scales. Am I right?

                      Shame that you were misinformed however, because finishing school while being in a non-deployable status is a good reason to go ROTC, not the Guard! It's too late now though, so be ready.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I need some advice regarding deployment vs. college

                        Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
                        Seems to me that education was that tie-breaker for going Guard as opposed to the reserve, but not necessarily your primary motivation - in other words, the lone differentiating factor (education) doesn't automatically make it the primary motivating factor, but instead could've just been one of many equally-weighted factors; the proverbial coin that tipped the scales. Am I right?

                        Shame that you were misinformed however, because finishing school while being in a non-deployable status is a good reason to go ROTC, not the Guard! It's too late now though, so be ready.
                        Its not too late to do ROTC unless his unit go a warning order and locked him in but that was not expressed in the OP.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X