Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branching aviation through the guard

Hey Guys:

I am currently a freshman in college and am looking to branch aviation upon commissioning. I have grown up around aviation, my dad owned his own helicopter business in the D.C. area and I flew with him a ton, and I just can't live without it.

As I said, I am currently a freshman and a MS 1 with the ROTC program at my school. My current plan is to contract this summer and become an SMP cadet ideally with an aviation unit about an hour away. I have been doing a lot of research as to whether or not you have a better chance of getting branched aviation through AD or ARNG. I have heard mixed reviews on both and was wondering if anyone knew if it is indeed true that you have a better chance of getting branched aviation with the guard. (All of this is assuming that I am in good standing with my unit and have respectable LDAC and PT scores).

I am well aware of the Warrant officer route and really am not currently willing to take the risk of enlisting and making that shot in the dark and hoping for a WOCS slot and eventually a Flight Slot.

Also, a kind of unrelated question, but is there such a thing as a 3 year GRFD scholarship? Some ROTC websites acknowledge it while others don't.

If anyone would rather PM me, that is fine too.

Thanks for the help guys!

Re: Branching aviation through the guard

I'm pretty sure it's a lot better shot at going the warrant route than trying to branch aviation. I know I see emails every year about needing warrant pilots and when I went to a pre-woc course, there were a couple PVTs in there that were getting ready to be pilots.

Comment

This is a conversation you should have with your State Army Aviation Officer, and/or Command Chief WO. Since the majority of the pilot slots are warrant officers, statistically that's your best venue if all you want to do is fly.

Comment

Yes, there are 3 year GRFD scholarships. statistically speaking it is probably easier to branch aviation in the Guard, with the general lack of OMLs. The colonel is right though...a warrant packet is safer to actually fly. We are sending a 20 year old E4 in October.

Comment

Working...
        X