Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting before BCT

Hello all.

Several months ago I was 17. I made the irresponsible and hasty decision to join the Army National Guard. I decided to join because I was unsure of my career path/plans after high school. My recruiter's sweet-talking the Guard sealed the deal.

I went to MEPS, signed the contract, and swore in.

I'm now 18 and I've been to a few RSP drills now and I can tell this was easily the worst mistake of my life.

I hate the PT, I hate most of the Cadre, I hate going to RSP once a month and I hate the other soldiers I'm with.

I'm terribly out of shape and I have problems losing and keeping weight off. I'm awfully un-motivated to work out.
    I stress out all the time and have panic attacks thinking about what I've gotten myself into every day since I joined.

I was supposed to ship out a few weeks ago, and I was overweight. They cancelled my shipping.

Now I want out more than I have ever wanted anything in my life. I just want to start college and get a job like every other person.

I've looked at some of the other threads regarding this situation and everyone here likes to try and convince the person thinking about quitting not to.

Not to come off as a jerk, but I ASSURE you there is NOTHING anyone can say or do to convince me to stay in.
    If someone offered me 1 million dollars and a brand new Lamborghini to stay in the Guard, I would say NO.

So please, don't try and convince me to stay. All I want to know is:

Can I quit?

and if yes:

What motions do I need to make and what actions do I need to take to get the quitting process started?

Thank you for any answers, God bless.

Re: Quitting before BCT

I am sorry that you feel that way. Your experience in my opinion is not typical. Even so, being discharged now is a mere entry level separation and if what you say is true, better for both parties that you get out. Just speak to the RSP and be very clear that you REFUSE to ship or continue drilling. Do not listen to potential posts here on the forums that make silly claims that you'll get a dishonorable discharge. You are merely an entry level separation. It's not a big deal.

Comment

Did you also see posts from people who made this decision and are now crawling back to the military? Just sayin!

Anyway, better you do this now. Otherwise, anytime post-ship would be more difficult and stressful for you.

Comment

The only thing that gets me about this post is that it's all personal motivation/attitude/discipline issues. Things that you can simply "man up" about and change, and will likely have to in order to all that well otherwise in life.

You can get out, I'm not sure what's involved and you're going to take some crap about it. Just keep pushing toward the entry level separation and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by john View Post
          I just want to start college and get a job like every other person.
          Considering that most of us here make more then the average civilian job, have multiple degrees with zero student loan debt, and a guarenteed retirement, and the unemployment rate is still horrible......I say........

Good luck with that.

Next you will tell us you want to go to school for Criminal Justice, or History.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            I am sorry that you feel that way. Your experience in my opinion is not typical. Even so, being discharged now is a mere entry level separation and if what you say is true, better for both parties that you get out. Just speak to the RSP and be very clear that you REFUSE to ship or continue drilling. Do not listen to potential posts here on the forums that make silly claims that you'll get a dishonorable discharge. You are merely an entry level separation. It's not a big deal.
            Thanks for the helpful response.
            What exactly is an entry level separation and are you sure I can attain one?

Who exactly at my RSP do I speak to?
            The NCOIC? A chaplain? My recruiter? The Major in charge of the whole thing?

And what sort of wording do I use to go through with this?
            You said that I should say I REFUSE to ship or drill?
            I just want to be careful and sure that I can get an entry level seperation.

Comment

Im waiting on a waiver, But will be Gladly with rigorous ambition to take your spot..... but hey bro

" The turtle will always miss the water he passed by cause he was to lazy to jump in " You'll get it later...

but im tryna get a waiver USAF RE-2C JFY UNCHARACTERIZED

Best blessings on your choices you make.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                Considering that most of us here make more then the average civilian job, have multiple degrees with zero student loan debt, and a guarenteed retirement, and the unemployment rate is still horrible......I say........

Good luck with that.

Next you will tell us you want to go to school for Criminal Justice, or History.
                Plus 1 BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can understand your concerns, but at 18 do you really think you know what you want? Yes basic and AIT are difficult but not impossible. I think in the near future you will regret it if you got out.

Comment

Originally posted by john View Post
                    If someone offered me 1 million dollars and a brand new Lamborghini to stay in the Guard, I would say NO.
                    I might not think that is a wise statement for just 8 years which you must just do one weekend a month/two weeks AT for the whole term. That is a very big win lol

But you right; we do not need people of your caliber and attitude. We need people who are positive, want to give something back to their country and want to be a real warrior.

I think that term EPIC FAIL is ludicrous but is applicable in your case lol

Just tell your recruiter you changed your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

Good luck with that.

Hey, you responding to the next 1 percent in our country lol.

But same here. I have a locked retirement at minimum 3Gs a month, soon to be a masters degree, great house (just mortgage debt), BMW, traveled around the world (even places I did not want to see or go to) and guess what? I am active-duty!

Obviously, you are young, ignorant and naive but dont knock something without even trying.

Comment

If you are absolutely committed to failure, then no one else can dissuade you. Make an appointment with your RSP cadre leader to discuss your situation, and request an Entry Level Separation (ELS).

You stated that we cannot convince you to stay in, which is fine with me. I will mention, however, that at some point in the next few years you will wish, on several different occasions for several different reasons, that you had overcome your fears and discomfort and stuck with your obligation.

Best wishes.

Comment

I am also waiting on a waiver and would switch with you without hesisitation.

Listen to LTC Ritchie...Think heavily about your decision. Plenty of dudes on here that regretted getting out when they had the chance to stay in.

Comment

You're welcome. You indicated from the outset that you didn't want to hear people extolling to you what a mistake you were making, although I think the responses in here have been mostly polite and honest. The others are right in that you are looking at the military in a very near sighted way, and I have little doubt that you will regret the youthful decision you made at 18 when you look back on what you could have achived when you are 28 - 35 wishing things could be different. The reality is however, if you don't want to be "here" then we don't want you. Ultimately it's a bad deal of the military to have someone who is "disgruntled". An entry level separation is an easy thing. Speak with the RSP 1SG, or your Recruiter. If you want to do him a favor, don't separate until after Sep 30th...poor guy is going to loose you as a enlistment for this FY. Bottom line is, you can get out....best wishes in your regular vanilla life.

Comment

You make me SICK! I applied back in June, and since then I have been fighting it to join. Had to go back to Houston for a consult to get a waiver due to my psoriasis condition. Dermatologist cleared me. Sergeant in Houston unit was willing to sign my waiver and give me a spot in the infantry unit in Houston. I did everything by the book and after waiting for over a month for my waiver to come back from D.C. my recruiter calls me today to say I am permanently disqualified due to my condition. You ungrateful prick. You have the privilege to be able to join and and serve, but you choose to throw it away like garbage.
                              No worries about me. I already sent a request to be put in contact with a recruiter from the Texas State Guard to see if I can serve through them. I WILL serve in one capacity or another. Coward!

Comment

Working...
                              X