Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure if I want to enlist in the Guard or Reserve?

I'm a senior in high school, planning on enlisting in the next few months. I've been looking mostly into the Army Reserve, but a good friend who I work with is in the National Guard, and turned me on to it. I'll be enlisting and drilling in the state of Ohio until I graduate high school and finish my training for the Army. I'm planning on going to a culinary college in New York. I have a few questions.

Would the Guard be better suited for someone like myself, who is planning on attending a college thats roughly $25,000 a year? And if I enlisted and drilled in Ohio for at least 6 months, could I transfer to a unit in NY and keep all my benefits?

I want to enlist as an MP, when I first met with a Reserve recruiter, he told me that probably wasn't going to happen because MP's are at over 200% strength. Is it easier to get the MOS you want in the Guard than the Reserve?

Is it harder to get schooling like Airborne guranteed in your contract in the National Guard? I heard the National Guard doesn't really pay for people to go to those schools because of budget issues.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unsure if I want to enlist in the Guard or Reserve?

From my experience I have been in both the reserves and now the National Guard and I like the guard a whole lot better. More units to choose from and there is the state mission as well. I have just enjoyed the guard a lot more.

Comment

The Guard definitely has superior benefits, especially for education. Going to culinary school seems like it's a reasonable goal.

Your interstate transfer to NY shouldn't be a big deal, but I would recommend getting in touch with the unit you want to transfer to as soon as you can. Keep in mind that they have to have a slot for you before you head out that way. Otherwise, you'll be stuck drilling in OH while you attend school in NY.

If you'd like some general information on how the National Guard education assistance works, take a look at this: TA Benefits

As to getting the MOS you want, it really depends on what you're going for. Military Police, for example, is a popular MOS and may not have many slots available either. It really is better to refer to your recruiter on this one. They will have a list of what is available for you.

Lastly, budgets are tight across all branches. It's very unlikely you'll get Air Borne school in your contract unless you are contracting into an Air Borne unit or need it for your MOS.
      Last edited by RyCass; August 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Okay, thank you for the information. Is there a limitation as to how soon you can switch units? As Soon as I go to MEPS and get my class date, (thus, know when my training will be over and when I'll be back in Ohio,) I'll apply for enrollment for this college. I would be in RSP until I graduate high school and go to training, but as soon as I get back from training (at least, within a few months) I'll be moving to NY. So it would be possible that I might only go to drill with my OH unit one time before I move. Is there any regulation against this happening? Is there anything that says I would have to continue to drill with my OH unit for a certain amount of time?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          The Guard definitely has superior benefits, especially for education. Going to culinary school seems like it's a reasonable goal.

Your interstate transfer to NY shouldn't be a big deal, but I would recommend getting in touch with the unit you want to transfer to as soon as you can. Keep in mind that they have to have a slot for you before you head out that way. Otherwise, you'll be stuck drilling in OH while you attend school in NY.

If you'd like some general information on how the National Guard education assistance works, take a look at this: TA Benefits

As to getting the MOS you want, it really depends on what you're going for. Military Police, for example, is a popular MOS and may not have many slots available either. It really is better to refer to your recruiter on this one. They will have a list of what is available for you.

Lastly, budgets are tight across all branches. It's very unlikely you'll get Air Borne school in your contract unless you are contracting into an Air Borne unit or need it for your MOS.
          The Guard doesn't offer anything superior. The state may offer better educational benefits but often there is fine print.

In the end, both have pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jseidenwand View Post
            Okay, thank you for the information. Is there a limitation as to how soon you can switch units? As Soon as I go to MEPS and get my class date, (thus, know when my training will be over and when I'll be back in Ohio,) I'll apply for enrollment for this college. I would be in RSP until I graduate high school and go to training, but as soon as I get back from training (at least, within a few months) I'll be moving to NY. So it would be possible that I might only go to drill with my OH unit one time before I move. Is there any regulation against this happening? Is there anything that says I would have to continue to drill with my OH unit for a certain amount of time?
            Ultimately, it comes down to your unit and how quickly they can or want to move you. Remember, they have a slot waiting for you, so to have you leave right away means they need to find someone else to fill that spot. That's why it's important to discuss your situation with your recruiter and/or unit as soon as you can so that they aren't blind sided. Realistically, I would anticipate having to attend at least one drills with OH, but again, refer to your recruiter/unit on this one. Maybe you can work something out. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              The Guard doesn't offer anything superior. The state may offer better educational benefits but often there is fine print.

In the end, both have pros and cons.
              I don't know! The 100% Tuition Assistance some states are able to offer is pretty awesome in itself!

Comment

I don't know! The 100% Tuition Assistance some states are able to offer is pretty awesome in itself!
                Is there a good way to see from an official source which states offer this? I'm in CT, and while both NY and MA have pretty well done ARNG websites that list all of the State/Federal benefits, CT has very little information online.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateFace View Post
                  Is there a good way to see from an official source which states offer this? I'm in CT, and while both NY and MA have pretty well done ARNG websites that list all of the State/Federal benefits, CT has very little information online.
                  To get the most updated information, I would recommend speaking to a recruiter. Incentives like this can, and do, change overnight. Do you have a recruiter you're working with?

Comment

Connecticut offers most of their education benefits via state law, similiar to NJ and IL. CT has some of the best free schooling for VETS there is.

National Guard and Veterans' Tuition Waiver
                    By law, veterans and Guard Members who meet certain criteria are eligible for tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State University and Community colleges. Waivers cover only the costs of tuition for accredited programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. Other charges- such as books, student activities, room and board and parking are not covered.

National Guard Waiver:[CGS 10a-105, P.A 05-03 Sec.18 (4)]
                    To be eligible for the Air/Army National Guard tuition waiver the applicant must (1) be a member in good standing of the Air/Army guard and (2) be accepted for admission on a full time or part-time basis in a undergraduate degree-granting program.

How do I apply?

Students must contact their Education Service Officer at their National Guard Units to apply for the waiver. Each semester the Bursar Office receives the list of all students who are eligible for the waiver from their Army/Air National Guard units.
                    Veterans' Tuition Waiver: [CGS 10a-105, CGS 27-103, P.A 05-03 Sec.18 (3)]
                    To qualify for the waiver, the veteran must meet the following requirements:

be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Cost Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, are also included.
                    have served atlease 90 days active dute in time of war (see Periods of Service at links below) except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) related service-connected disability; or the war, campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration.
                    be accepted for admission at a Connecticut public college or university.
                    be domiciled in Connecticut at the time of acceptance, which includes domicile for less than one year.
                    For additional eligibility requirements, visit the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs and Connecticut Department of Higher Education.

How do I apply?

Complete and return Waiver Application.
                    Send a certified copy, notarized copy or your original DD-214 (member 4) to our office to determine eligibility.
                    Provide a copy of your Drivers License
                    Provide one of the following as proof of domicile:
                    Copy of your vehicle registration
                    Copy of your income tax return Form 1040
                    Copy of your voter registration card
                    Courses Exempt from Tuition Waivers
                    The law defines “tuition” as a “direct charge for institutional programs, which is clearly delineated from any other fees (CGS 10a-26). The waiver applies only to courses paid for out of colleges' tuition revenue and not to so-called “extension-fund” courses paid for from student fees, such as summer and evening classes and noncredit “enrichment courses” that are not part of degree programs. Typically, all students, including veterans who participate in these programs, are charged course fees, which are not tuition fees as defined in statutes.

Comment

What would be he best route for me to get financial assistance for college? Is here a limit on the amount of assistance you can get? The school costs about 28,000 a year. What state's tuition assistance would I go off of, Ohio (where I'll swear in and do RSP until I graduate, or NY where I'll actually be attending school? Which state has better benefits? If it makes a difference, the school I want to go to is the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York.

Comment

What would be he best route for me to get financial assistance for college? Is here a limit on the amount of assistance you can get? The school costs about 28,000 a year. What state's tuition assistance would I go off of, Ohio (where I'll swear in and do RSP until I graduate, or NY where I'll actually be attending school? Which state has better benefits? If it makes a difference, the school I want to go to is the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York.
                        These questions are very specific to your situation and state. I would recommend sitting down with your recruiter and working out the details. Do you have one you can work with?

Comment

These questions are very specific to your situation and state. I would recommend sitting down with your recruiter and working out the details. Do you have one you can work with?
                          No, whats the best way to find one close to me? I couldn't find an option on this website

Comment

No, whats the best way to find one close to me? I couldn't find an option on this website
                            I would recommend using the Pre-Qualification application online: Pre-Qual Form. Once you've completed both sections, you'll get contacted by a local recruiter within 10 business days.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Or you can look in the phone book. I just looked up the closest ARNG recruiting station to my house and bypassed the online application all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X