Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving States temporarily

Hi,

I've been in the guard for just over a year, and most of that time was spent in RSP, so..not too much experience here.
    I just finished AIT and I'm about to head to my first drill with my unit this weekend. A problem has kind of come up, though. For several personal reasons, I am transferring schools for this semester, and my new school is in a completely different state.

Like I said, I haven't even gone to my first drill at this unit yet..I can only imagine that it might be kinda crappy of me to get up and leave as soon as I got there. But it will only be for this semester, and I'll be back here in January.

So I have a few questions:
    - Do you think it would be easier for me to do courtesy drills in a different unit until I move back in January? I don't even know how to go about setting those up..and every time I google "courtesy drills" and try to find out more about it, I only see them being used for RSP drills..so I'm not even sure that it's possible.

- Is it even possible to transfer units at this point? I don't know if there's a time frame for how long you have to be at a unit...I just got to my new one so I don't even know if it's possible to switch again so quickly at this point.

Re: Moving States temporarily

How far away is the unit you are wanting to switch to? You may have to tough it out for at least one drill so that you can speak face-to-face with your chain of command about the situation to get the ball rolling.

Comment

From Texas to California...I will attend this drill this weekend, and I'll be in town for probably another two weeks.

Comment

and I understand my obligation...this decision I've come to has been very difficult to make. If worse comes to worse I'll fly back for drill but I want to avoid that if I can.

Comment

When you get to your unit bring this up to your chain of command that drill weekend. Soldiers can transfer from state to state, its called an inter state transfer(IST). If you will only be gone for a semester then maybe you can commute back to your home state for drill? I understand this may be very logistically difficult and possibly very financially difficult depending on the distance you would need to travel.

Comment

Your best bet would to split drill.

Since it's only one semester: 4 or 5 drills, try to split two of them so you only have to come back for two drills, and complete the other days before or after that weekend drill and then fly back. This keeps you on the unit books, and no problems with your bonus (if you received any). We have guys come from Pennsylvania and Georgia to drill here in VA. They split sometimes, for reasons similar to yours.

Comment

I agree with all the advise you've been given. If you are unable to see them face to face, get on the phone with someone as soon as you can.

Offering to split training is a good idea, too, because it shows them that you are willing to work something out instead of trying to get out of drills.

I'm not sure I seen this in your response (or maybe I"m just blind), but are you transferring for just one semester or for a whole school year...?

Comment

Yes, it's just for a semester...however I just ran into another problem. I might not get tuition assistance from the guard if I go to a California school..from what I can tell. Does anyone know if I can still get federal tuition assistance from a school that's out of state (because Texas usually gives twice the amount of assistance since the state contributes as well)?

When I have drill this weekend, I'll definitely ask my unit about the split training...

Comment

Originally posted by njocampo View Post
                  Hi,

I've been in the guard for just over a year, and most of that time was spent in RSP, so..not too much experience here.
                  I just finished AIT and I'm about to head to my first drill with my unit this weekend. A problem has kind of come up, though. For several personal reasons, I am transferring schools for this semester, and my new school is in a completely different state.

Like I said, I haven't even gone to my first drill at this unit yet..I can only imagine that it might be kinda crappy of me to get up and leave as soon as I got there. But it will only be for this semester, and I'll be back here in January.

So I have a few questions:
                  - Do you think it would be easier for me to do courtesy drills in a different unit until I move back in January? I don't even know how to go about setting those up..and every time I google "courtesy drills" and try to find out more about it, I only see them being used for RSP drills..so I'm not even sure that it's possible.

- Is it even possible to transfer units at this point? I don't know if there's a time frame for how long you have to be at a unit...I just got to my new one so I don't even know if it's possible to switch again so quickly at this point.

Since you going to your first drill this weekend, they should square you away aware with your ASU questions. I will bring the ASU with you to drill.

Comment

From Texas to California...I will attend this drill this weekend, and I'll be in town for probably another two weeks.
                    I doubt you got the acceptance letter this week; so there was no way to notify your unit/RSP cadre while you were AIT? Via phone or e-mail? When you give "last minute" notice; it does not look favorable on you; especially if it is not with an emergency. With the technology now and days, you could of had this matter handled. Again, I do not know why people pose these types of questions through an internet forum first without even attempting to notify the proper parties. Maybe, in my case, since I been in the military for a long time. When I came back from Germany last year, I received an e-mail from the BDE S-1 OIC about diverting me to another brigade for assignment. He had his number in his signature. I e-mailed him immediately and called him. Everything turned out wonderful since I am back in Afghanistan again!! Yea!

That is sarcasm if you did not catch it.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 16th, 2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      I doubt you got the acceptance letter this week
                      I doubt there was an acceptance letter at all. Who gets accepted to a school and goes there for just one semester?

It sounds more like he is going to go back to cali to go to community college for a semester. I may be wrong, but why else would you transfer to a school for one semester?

In answer to the TA question. You'll get federal TA no matter what state the school is in, but you wont get any extra state benefits TX offers.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                        I doubt there was an acceptance letter at all. Who gets accepted to a school and goes there for just one semester?

It sounds more like he is going to go back to cali to go to community college for a semester. I may be wrong, but why else would you transfer to a school for one semester?

In answer to the TA question. You'll get federal TA no matter what state the school is in, but you wont get any extra state benefits TX offers.
                        True lol. But I did get accepted to a college with the hopes of transferring to my main choice. It did happen due to my good grades.

Perhaps there is some nice, tejana mamicata that offered to be his tutor.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          Again, I do not know why people pose these types of questions through an internet forum first without even attempting to notify the proper parties.
                          I haven't even really met my unit yet..I just don't really know who to go to at this point. I'd also just feel more comfortable asking questions if I actually knew what I was talking about..and, some extra advice on here doesn't hurt. Although, I'll take these comments into consideration for any future questions regarding something important like this. I guess it's better to let them know first..even if I look stupid in the process.

Thanks for all the advice, and any other advice is welcomed.

Comment

I haven't even really met my unit yet..I just don't really know who to go to at this point. I'd also just feel more comfortable asking questions if I actually knew what I was talking about..and, some extra advice on here doesn't hurt. Although, I'll take these comments into consideration for any future questions regarding something important like this. I guess it's better to let them know first..even if I look stupid in the process.

Thanks for all the advice, and any other advice is welcomed.
                            Was I at least right in my hypothesis?

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post

Comment

It's not a community college, but I've already been accepted. I just need a place cheaper than my current university for this semester, so I can get my grades up and my scholarship back.

Comment

Working...
                              X