X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with decision

Here is my situation and I am looking for input, suggestions.
    I am unemployed and looking at part time military options. Really I have narrowed down to 2 choices, Army NG and one other.
    One branch will enlist me at E-3. They also have the job I want which is HR/42A.
    The other service I am considering will only enlist me at E-1 and they don't have my first job choice. However, they have shorter deployment times. I also hear that they have better facilities and treat their people better.

Since I have never served, I am not sure which of these factors I should consider the most in my decision. Either way I will be able to serve my country and go back to school, which I want to do.
    I am simply looking for some advice in making my decision.

Re: Need help with decision

Originally posted by dsheckie View Post
    The other service I am considering will only enlist me at E-1 and they don't have my first job choice. However, they have shorter deployment times. I also hear that they have better facilities and treat their people better.
    Why do you have to call them the other branch? If a Marine was referring to the Army as the "other" branch, I'd be a little offended. The least he could do is use our proper name. If you're considering the Air Force just say it. No one is going to talk down on you for weighing all the options...even if one of them is the Chair Force.

Comment

If you're unemployed and needing work, I don't think any reserve branch would be the right answer. Have you considered active duty?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rescue View Post
        Why do you have to call them the other branch? If a Marine was referring to the Army as the "other" branch, I'd be a little offended. The least he could do is use our proper name. If you're considering the Air Force just say it. No one is going to talk down on you for weighing all the options...even if one of them is the Chair Force.
        It it slightly offensive to refer another as the other branch. I always get a kick out of the Chair Force recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rescue View Post
          Why would you be offended? Who really cares?? The point of the question is "ARMY" and that's what he is trying to join.

Comment

I suggest you join the other "branch".

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              I suggest you join the other "branch".
              ^^^^^^+65,000

Comment

Originally posted by dsheckie View Post
                Here is my situation and I am looking for input, suggestions.
                I am unemployed and looking at part time military options. Really I have narrowed down to 2 choices, Army NG and one other.
                One branch will enlist me at E-3. They also have the job I want which is HR/42A.

Since I have never served, I am not sure which of these factors I should consider the most in my decision. Either way I will be able to serve my country and go back to school, which I want to do.
                I am simply looking for some advice in making my decision.
                OK, setting semantics aside, based on what you posted, I would recommend looking more closely at the branch of service that will give you the training (i.e. job or MOS) you want. Keep in mind that rank changes during your career. Furthermore, E1-E4 are generally "automatic" promotions based on time in rank and time in service. I wouldn't let that be a huge reason you chose to go one way or the other. Your MOS, on the other hand, is likely to stay the same for many years, so you'll want to train for something you enjoy.

Lastly, arm yourself with more information on each branch. If you're interested in the National Guard, start here: Guard Basics

There's lots of great threads about the National Guard here on the forum, too. Be sure to do a search to learn more.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The last reponse was probably most helpful but appreciate everyone's reply. I didn't want to specify other branches of service since this is an Army National guard website. Just trying to be respectful to Army NG.
                  THe Army National guard does have the job I want and will enlist me as an E-3. So, they are offering the most of what I am looking for. What I worry more about it is that it isn't the right choice based on having a family with 3 kids. Some people tell me it isn't the most family oriented and don't treat their people as good as say the Air force. I know that is only opinions of others and not sure if I should believe it.
                  Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                  X