Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

Hello,
    I'm not sure if this is the right area or not but I am looking for some educated answers regarding my situation. I served 4 on Active Duty including a 12 month deployment to Iraq. At the time of my ETS I re-enlisted for the National Guard for 2 years. While I was going through the process with the National Guard recruiters on my post I was told many misleading things. The biggest lie I was told was that if I received a disability rating of greater than 30% while in my contract I would be out the Guard. I asked about this because I had already filed for disability because of a medically un-repairable knee. As of September I have 1 year left on my contract and I have found out that I received a disability rating of 70% from the VA. So, now I have to drill each month for free in order to keep my disability income. The kicker on top of drilling for free is the only unit that had my MOS is over 300 miles one way from my home. This is causing a great hardship on me in many different areas. I have sent my concerns up my chain of command in the appropriate fashion. The first thing they came back to me with was asking if I would want to do ING for my remaining year or a Medical Discharge. I had them explain what ING was and I thought that would fit my needs perfectly. They had me draft a letter to the commander which I did promptly. A week later I was simply told that it was denied and that is not an option. So then I asked about a Medical Discharge and was told that wouldn’t be available either. Now I am completely lost and confused. When I attempted to air my concerns the appropriate way the 2 options my chain of command dangled in my face were both snatched away as soon as I asked about them. I am attempting to find a new unit closer to my home but my current unit has said that I will have to do that all on my own. When I call units closer to my home they all say generally the same thing: they don’t want to take someone from a different MOS and they wouldn’t want to take a slot away from their unit for someone who will only be there for one more year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The last part is only needed if it were to occur.
    Last edited by Mr_Loki; August 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM.

Re: Help Needed

Based on your post, it sounds like you have had a tough break. Unfortunately, by regulation, a Commander does not have to release you into the ING if you have not provided sufficient reason for them to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairborne View Post
      Hello,
      I'm not sure if this is the right area or not but I am looking for some educated answers regarding my situation. I served 4 on Active Duty including a 12 month deployment to Iraq. At the time of my ETS I re-enlisted for the National Guard for 2 years. While I was going through the process with the National Guard recruiters on my post I was told many misleading things. The biggest lie I was told was that if I received a disability rating of greater than 30% while in my contract I would be out the Guard. I asked about this because I had already filed for disability because of a medically un-repairable knee. As of September I have 1 year left on my contract and I have found out that I received a disability rating of 70% from the VA. So, now I have to drill each month for free in order to keep my disability income. The kicker on top of drilling for free is the only unit that had my MOS is over 300 miles one way from my home. This is causing a great hardship on me in many different areas. I have sent my concerns up my chain of command in the appropriate fashion. The first thing they came back to me with was asking if I would want to do ING for my remaining year or a Medical Discharge. I had them explain what ING was and I thought that would fit my needs perfectly. They had me draft a letter to the commander which I did promptly. A week later I was simply told that it was denied and that is not an option. So then I asked about a Medical Discharge and was told that wouldn’t be available either. Now I am completely lost and confused. When I attempted to air my concerns the appropriate way the 2 options my chain of command dangled in my face were both snatched away as soon as I asked about them. I am attempting to find a new unit closer to my home but my current unit has said that I will have to do that all on my own. When I call units closer to my home they all say generally the same thing: they don’t want to take someone from a different MOS and they wouldn’t want to take a slot away from their unit for someone who will only be there for one more year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The last part is only needed if it were to occur.
      You were told the exact correct thing. If you got a rating of 30% or higher from the ARMY you would have been medically retired. That is not the case if it is from the VA.

That said, what is your current profile status? A medical retirement is not a choice made by the command or by the soldier. If you are reffered to a Medical Evaluation Board by your doctor on your profile then you go. And if you are not, then you don't. Generally permanent profiles (pulhes of 4) and a temporary profile exceeding a year (usually a pulhe of 3) triggers the process.

So again, what does your profile say. And, are your injuries combat related?

Comment

That said, what is your current profile status? A medical retirement is not a choice made by the command or by the soldier. If you are reffered to a Medical Evaluation Board by your doctor on your profile then you go.
        That's an excellent point. I would be interested to hear more about this as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a permanent profile with the PULHES rating of 3 on lower extremities. I had this profile before I left Active Duty. The injuries are not combat related.

Comment

The VA rates all service connected conditions for compensation. The Army only rates those conditions that are service disqualifying, hence the VA rating is almost always higher then the Army rating. However, if you are still serving, you will only get the higher of the two payments, and not both. It is a very complex confusing process..but rarely do they get it wrong at the very end.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              The VA rates all service connected conditions for compensation. The Army only rates those conditions that are service disqualifying, hence the VA rating is almost always higher then the Army rating. However, if you are still serving, you will only get the higher of the two payments, and not both. It is a very complex confusing process..but rarely do they get it wrong at the very end.
              Thanks for the intelligent reply. Looks like I just need to keep drilling for my remaining year for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairborne View Post
                Thanks for the replies. I have a permanent profile with the PULHES rating of 3 on lower extremities. I had this profile before I left Active Duty. The injuries are not combat related.
                If you have a permanent profile of 3, why are you not in the MEB process. Look at your profile and see if the box is checked that refers you to a MEB (Medical Evaluation Board) for failing medical retention standards.

Comment

Working...
                X