X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army National Guard or Air National Guard

I am torn between which National guard component to join, Army or Air Force. Obviously this is an Army NG website but I wanted to hear some different opinions on why to choose one over the other. Here is what I have found out doing my own research so far....

Army NG has longer deployments and more likely to deploy. I have talked to some Air NG people that have never deployed.
    Army NG has more job options. I wanted to go into the HR field or Medical and I can get both of these with the Army NG not in the Air NG.
    Air NG has a shorter basic training. Not that it matters, but I have a family so the sooner I can get home, the better.
    Benefits are the same regardless as I am in the state of Pennsylvania.
    I may want to go full time with an AGR or technician slot down the road and Army seems to have more opportunities for that as well.
    I hear the Air force has better facilities and treats their people better(more family friendly). Not sure if that is true but that is what I hear.

Those are some of the things I have found out or researched. So there are pro's and cons to both. I definitely want to do this, I am just not sure which route to take.
    Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Re: Army National Guard or Air National Guard

Anything I say here would be described as mutinous.

Comment

Seriously though, I have found myself at times being envious of our air force counterparts. Of course I would also never switch, so it's moot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Seriously though, I have found myself at times being envious of our air force counterparts. Of course I would also never switch, so it's moot.
        I have been jealous of the zoomies too and wondered myself in their blue uniform. But, and I know they are a discipline force; I just feel that I would not be in a respectful and hardcore force.

OP, you will meet people in the ANG, ARNG and active components that never deployed so I would not put that in your decision factor.

Also, the Army BCT is two weeks longer than BMT and depending on the AFSC/MOS you choose that could balance the time you were away from home.

With AGR intentions, there are no guarantees that you will get selected for a contract. The only guarantee for working full-time in a military uniform is to go active duty.

The AF does have better looking facilities and interact more like the corporate world within the ranks.

They are not intended to be a ground force (hence the AIR) but they have been doing more ground missions in support of the former OIF and present OEF.

Comment

Working...
        X