X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment - Rent out House

Does anyone have any information regarding if you rent out your house while you are deployed? Does this affect whether or not you receive BAH? If you are in a tax free zone while deployed, do you still pay taxes on the incame you earn back in the states to include rental income, stock dividends, other sources of income you normally pay taxes on?

Re: Deployment - Rent out House

Is the house under your name? NCOOFFICER? Nice hybrid.

Nothing wrong with subletting.

I would say possibly yes to the other question but you need to talk to your tax lawyer. I know our military pay is tax free and well as state tax exemption.

Comment

Can help with part of this.

The "tax free zone" applies to your basic pay, which would normally be taxed on for drills or other active duty that is not in a combat zone that is approved for it. BAH and other allowances are not taxed regardless of where you are when you qualify for them

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Is the house under your name? NCOOFFICER? Nice hybrid.

Nothing wrong with subletting.

I would say possibly yes to the other question but you need to talk to your tax lawyer. I know our military pay is tax free and well as state tax exemption.
        Nope not under that name!

BAH is a guaranteed payment vs renting my place would be a bunch of work so for this to work I still need to be eligible for BAH. I doubt they address this as I can't find anything online. Who could I contact to find out more regarding this? Is there a tax NG representative for deployments that I could contact?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Can help with part of this.

The "tax free zone" applies to your basic pay, which would normally be taxed on for drills or other active duty that is not in a combat zone that is approved for it. BAH and other allowances are not taxed regardless of where you are when you qualify for them
          So tax-free only applies to basic pay? If you were to make money at home from something else, you have to pay taxes on it right?

Comment

Originally posted by signalncofficer View Post
            So tax-free only applies to basic pay? If you were to make money at home from something else, you have to pay taxes on it right?
            http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...f1N16JkBz4Fs9K

read that article and contact that person lol

Comment

Anyone else have knowledge regarding this? No one seems to be able to answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by signalncofficer View Post
                Anyone else have knowledge regarding this? No one seems to be able to answer my question.
                Try http://www.militaryonesource.mil/

Comment

Or you can look at the Defense Travel website: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bah.cfm

There's an FAQ section on there, too, and some contact information.

Comment

Working...
                  X