Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring to another state

Hi,
    So currently, I am planning on joining the National Guard as a 31B. I moved away from home in Hawaii to live in Phoenix. My parents would like me to join the Hawaii National Guard (not a big deal) however, I've been planning on moving to Chattanooga, TN. My parents still think I should join the Hawaii National Guard and then transfer to Tennessee. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you guys.
    Anyways, is it possible to enlist and then move to another state before going to basic? I apologize if this doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Thank you all for your service to this country

Re: Transferring to another state

Your parents just don't understand. Join a guard unit that is near your place of residence.

Comment

My son is in Kentucky because as a last ditch effort i called his father who chose not be in his life for the past 19 yrs.After all the test & physicals ,can he sign here in Georgia or should he go through bootcamp or can he transfer down here before or after he goes to bootcamp? He's not in the best hands mentally up there.
      Please can some one help me?
      A loving mother.
      Dont get me wrong, I DEFINETLY want him to join,I would love it of he'd go army,navy,air force. I just want him to be the man I know he can be.
      God bless all American Service Men & Women.
      Last edited by Drew's mom; August 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew's mom View Post
        My son is in Kentucky because as a last ditch effort i called his father who chose not be in his life for the past 19 yrs.After all the test & physicals ,can he sign here in Georgia or should he go through bootcamp or can he transfer down here before or after he goes to bootcamp? He's not in the best hands mentally up there.
        A loving mother.
        Dont get me wrong, I DEFINETLY want him to join,I would love it of he'd go army,navy,air force. I just want him to be the man I know he can be.
        I'm not certain what question you're asking. What I would recommend, though, is to take a look at the Parents section the National Guard website. There's the most common questions parents have on there as well as a description on the enlistment process. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/NwLz1N

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanRifleSpinner View Post
          Hi,
          So currently, I am planning on joining the National Guard as a 31B. I moved away from home in Hawaii to live in Phoenix. My parents would like me to join the Hawaii National Guard (not a big deal) however, I've been planning on moving to Chattanooga, TN. My parents still think I should join the Hawaii National Guard and then transfer to Tennessee. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you guys.
          Anyways, is it possible to enlist and then move to another state before going to basic? I apologize if this doesn't seem to make much sense.
          Thank you all for your service to this country
          Technically, you "can" do an Interstate Transfer before BCT. However, as Cityslicker implied, it's much easier to enlist in a unit that is close to where your permanent residence will be. If you're not sure at this time but would still like to continue forward, be sure to discuss this with your recruiter. They will be able to give you an idea of how to prepare for an IST.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew's mom View Post
            A loving mother.
            He should discuss the circumstances with his current recruiter. If his recruiter is so adamant that he remains in Kentucky, talk to a Georgia Army National Guard recruiter to find out if he can find a unit that will have a job that your son is interested in and qualified for.

Comment

Working...
            X