X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear detachment or no?

Before I went to MEPS there was a slot open for CO C 1-151 Infantry Rear and when I actually got my contract I got WPPRA0 CO A 1-151 Infantry WITHOUT the Rear in the name. Does that mean I will not be in the rear detachment when I get to my unit? I could have swore that my liason said I was going to be in the rear detachment but I may have misunderstood him. Thank you for your time and if I put this in the wrong section I apologize and would appreciate if it was moved to the correct spot. Have a nice day.

Re: Rear detachment or no?

If your unit is deployed now they may be back when you get to the unit so their no longer the rear then.....Or you could be going with them if their still ramping up for deployment.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge they're not deployed, their deployment got cancelled or moved to a different date from what I read on the internet. I'm hoping that they deploy shortly after I get back, I'd really like to go. Would you by any chance have knowledge of this unit?
      Last edited by ZachR; August 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM. Reason: Add additional sentence

Comment

No they might be in the same Brigade as the 125 infantry of michigan. But I dont have much knowledge of them either.

It could be that your not in the rear anymore because you'll be going with them on deployment or they wont be going on deployment.

Comment

Roger that. Does the 125 infantry got an upcoming deployment? If my unit is not deploying then I'm going to try hard to volunteer with an infantry unit.

Comment

Already gone

Comment

you dont want to be in the rear det. it is a very unmotivating place. it is all the people who could not deploy due to medical reasons, end of contract, or just straight up shaming their way out of it.

Comment

Yea I really don't want to be in the rear det. At first the slot I was going to be placed into was C CO 1-151 Infantry REAR and then when I actually got my contract it said A CO 1-151 Infantry and didn't have REAR in it. I was not sure if every new person was put into the rear det or not since it didn't say anything about it on my contract. I'm happy that I won't be in the rear and will focus on trying to deploy when I get back from OSUT. iambrian90 if you know of any units (preferably infantry) deploying to Afghanistan sometime next year can you PM me? There was nothing really on AKO and I can't access GKO because I haven't received my CAC yet. I'd like to know in advance if I have a chance to go or not so I can figure out if I'm going to go back to school or work for a deployment. Thanks for any help.
                Last edited by ZachR; August 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM. Reason: Add question.

Comment

my entire brigade is supposed to be going, but nothing is set in stone. as for trying to find units needing people. google army tour of duty, and sign up for that. for you though, just finish osut, and then worry about everything else later. there is a 99% chance you will not be able to attach to any outside units that fresh out of basic, as they dont want a bunch of new kids jumping in and slowing them down. deployments are a life and death thing, and most units, especially infantry, are going to want you to be training with them for a long while before they trust you to go over with them. At this point, with the drawdown, I wouldnt hold your hopes up too high for going over there anytime soon though.

Comment

they don't want a bunch of new kids jumping in and slowing them down

Not entirely true. I've know quite a lot of Soldiers, personally, that have shipped right out of BCT. But he is correct. There's no need to worry about it until you've completed all your training and are officially drilling with your unit. Good luck with you're training!

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                      you dont want to be in the rear det. it is a very unmotivating place. it is all the people who could not deploy due to medical reasons, end of contract, or just straight up shaming their way out of it.
                      That will depend from unit to unit but some Rear-Ds still have outstanding soldiers that their dwell has not elapsed; expertise will also benefit in the rear or possibly ETSing within the unit's deployment time.

Also, I never seen a UIC refer to as REAR but I do know some units have MTOE positions that relate to forward and rear positions; meaning those are set rear positions that will be required when the unit is deployed. In my last unit; we called it OCP/MCP (Operational Command Post = Forward, Main Command Post = Rear). Now in my section we have soldiers assigned to MCP slots but when the DEP Order came out; our OIC could shuffle the positions, he deemed fit. Initially, we had a soldier that was set to deploy but during his SRP (MOB), he was found to be non-deployable due to his PHDRA relating to some PTSD, hence moved from MCP to OCP.

Before you assume and go in self-panic mode; talk to your leadership.

Comment

Roger that. I will focus on completing my training and see what happens after I start drilling with my unit. Thanks for the responses everyone and RyCass thank you, I'm ready to get down to Ga and start training.

Comment

Working...
                        X