X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a program.

Alright, this is a long shot and if anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated. A couple weeks ago a friend who is in the guard came to me about joining the guard. He wants me to try and get into the PA program, which I know, is going to be competitive as it is. Due to issues with my last semester my GPA wasn't stellar as it had been previously. So, I was thinking of retaking some classes to try and raise my GPA a little more to be more competitive. After doing a little research online it sounds like after you graduate THAT IS your GPA you can't raise it. Like the score is "locked" in so to speak. So, I guess what I'm asking is will the guard take into account retaking classes and showing initiative? Am I just screwed? Would they take into account a bad last semester in an interview or something?

Sorry, for the wall of text on a first post, but figured this would be the place to go for some answers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Applying for a program.

I'm not completely certain about your topic or goal. If it's civilian PA school, then the Guard really has no direct influence over whether you get in or not.

If your topic concerns IPAP, then contact your State's AMEDD Recruiter, and/or State Surgeon. Search for IPAP on this forum to answer the next three questions you have.

Comment

Just so you are aware before you start contacting Recruiters. Civilians are NOT eligible for IPAP. You could however enlist and then subsequently apply.

Comment

Ya, it's the IPAP program I was talking about. Sorry, kind of rushed my topic and I know civilians aren't eligible for the IPAP. I guess I just didn't know how it would work if I wanted to try and raise my grades. I'll have to talk to a AMEDD recruiter thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by dbrisc View Post
          Ya, it's the IPAP program I was talking about. Sorry, kind of rushed my topic and I know civilians aren't eligible for the IPAP. I guess I just didn't know how it would work if I wanted to try and raise my grades. I'll have to talk to a AMEDD recruiter thanks for the responses.
          If you had a less than stellar semester, it's a mathematical certainty that taking more classes that result in a high grade will help increase your overall GPA. Keep in mind, though, all of this will show up on your transcripts. Therefore, repeating classes will make you look committed, but may not avoid any questions about your bad semester. Just be honest if asked. If you're committed to following through with IPAP, then it will show. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            If you had a less than stellar semester, it's a mathematical certainty that taking more classes that result in a high grade will help increase your overall GPA.
            It doesn't sound like that is an option since he already graduated...

So, I was thinking of retaking some classes to try and raise my GPA a little more to be more competitive. After doing a little research online it sounds like after you graduate THAT IS your GPA you can't raise it. Like the score is "locked" in so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
              It doesn't sound like that is an option since he already graduated...
              Ya, that's kind of what I'm asking. Will they take into account if I retake classes even though it won't affect my GPA. Or should I just bite the bullet and go for another degree? Because the plan that he wanted me to go with was after basic, start OCS, and during OCS retake some of the courses to try and raise my GPA, but it won't work like that with my GPA if everything I've read on that subject is correct.

Comment

Ya, that's kind of what I'm asking. Will they take into account if I retake classes even though it won't affect my GPA. Or should I just bite the bullet and go for another degree? Because the plan that he wanted me to go with was after basic, start OCS, and during OCS retake some of the courses to try and raise my GPA, but it won't work like that with my GPA if everything I've read on that subject is correct.
                Have you contacted the school you graduated from and asked them if you retook those classes if your new grade would take the place of the old grade and also change your overall GPA?

Comment

Ah! I misunderstood you.

Is your GPA so low that you wouldn't qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    Ah! I misunderstood you.

Is your GPA so low that you wouldn't qualify?
                    Well, I'd qualify but since it's a competitive program I doubt I'd get in. That's kind of where I'm at. I still haven't contacted the school but I will be before to long. If I could ever get some time off work.

Comment

Working...
                    X