X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does 37F still exist in the Guard?

Hello, I actually have a couple questions but my main one is just as the subject matter says. Does 37F, Psychological Operations still exist for the National Guard? I am currently dropping weight to join and at the rate I'm going, I should be good to go in about a month. I have been very interested in 37F and really want to get this MOS. However, I can't find any information on this for the NG. How would I go about getting in a slot? I don't care if I have to join another states' NG or wait 6 months either. Also, if it still exists in the NG, what are the requirements? I have read that for Reserves and AD that Airborne and a language is either required or is not required. I keep seeing mixed information. I would be very interested in learning both, would this be possible and how would I go about trying to go to training for these? Is DLI one of those things that I have to make sure is in my contract as well as Airborne school?

My last question is off topic: I saw on the website that the enlistment options are GED Plus, SMP, and Split Training Option. However, I have a friend who joined the Guard last year sometime and gave me a book with info about it and it had another option in it, Active First. The information says, "When you join under Active First, you go straight into a period of active duty-full-time military service. That means full-time Soldier's pay, plus a bonus of up to $30,000.

When your active duty commitment is over, you'll return to part-time Guard service with your local unit, free to pursue college or a civilian career."

Does this enlistment option still exist because this is the option I would like to choose. If it still exists, how many years would I serve active duty and then return to reserve ready?

Thanks to everyone who responds.

Re: Does 37F still exist in the Guard?

1. 37F is not in the ARNG - you will need to find a USAR recruiter to help you find the PsyOp units that are scattered around the US.

2. Although USACAPOC is an Airborne command, not all, in fact very few, PsyOp units are on active jump status - which means there is no guarantee of going to Airborne School unless you either live next to one of the reserve units on jump status or are on Active Duty.

3. Language training is possible, whether at DLI or elsewhere, but you will have to check to see if the unit you would joing has language coded slots, or if they send soldiers to langauge schools once they are fully job qualified.

4. Check with a professional recruiter as to the current structure and amounts of enlistment bonuses that are available for an MOS you wish to enlist into, and what options they have for training (there are diffferences between what you can do in the ARNg versus the USAR).

5. Be advised that "full-time soldier's pay" means full-time soldiers work - as you will be on federal active duty through any period of active duty type enlistment.

6. Do not rely on what someone may or may not have told you, get with a professional recruiter to find out what may or may not be available based on your situation and jobs that you wish to pursue - everything is in a constant state of change (so what your buddy got may not be identicle to what you might have access to if you enlist into the same MOS and unit), and differnet jobs have different enlistment incentives.

7. As I have served in a PsyOp unit in the USAR, I can also tell you that the physical and mental standards are high.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. As for PSYOPS not being in the ARNG, was this something that was changed? I have been doing a lot of research and trying to find out about the MOS and requirements and things like that for it and have been trying to prepare myself for it. I found forums where people who are in PSYOPS in the ARNG have posted and have seen job opening slots in other states like Minnesota and Virginia. The problem is that I don't know how long ago these were posted.

As for the "full-time soldiers work", that is something that I'm fully aware of and I am prepared to do, so that is not an issue. Also, although I would really like a slot in PsyOps, my back up MOS choice is 35M Human Intelligence Collector. Are the physical and mental standard the same for this MOS as 37F? If not which standards are higher and can you give me an idea of what the expectations are so I can try and prepare? Thanks again.

Comment

MOS 37F (and 35M) are very small career fields. While the Guard has no Psyop units, we have an occasional senior 37F slot at our combat brigade and division HQs. That doesn't help you now, since those slots start at E6. You could, however, enlist in a different field, and reclass later in your career as a position came available.

For 35M, we have some slots in E4 and below, although those slots are few and hard to get. Those slots exist in the following States:

AL AK AR CA CO CT FL GA HI ID IL IN IA LA MD MA MI MN MS MO NE NJ NY NC OK OR PA TN TX UT VA WA WI

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply you cleared it all up. Perhaps I will consider 38B who, from my understanding, work together with PsyhOps. Then reclass as you suggested. Thank you again, you took a load off.

Comment

The units who conduct Psychological Operations are known as PsyOp --- not psyops or any other type of version...

If you are so hot to work with PsyOp, then you should contact one of the units to find out more on what they do and the MOS structure they hold - and if you pursue the ARNG at this time you might have a better chance of locating and trying to get into a complimentary MOS. The support detachment will have a few MOS's that support the PsyOp mission, the other detachments will field the PsyOp teams that are all 37F.
            Last edited by LRSU_Dog; August 5th, 2012, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Also just a side note I found this when searching for info on the active first program.

https://secureweb2.hqda.pentagon.mil...per.aspx?id=90

Comment

Originally posted by for guards sake View Post
                Also just a side note I found this when searching for info on the active first program.

https://secureweb2.hqda.pentagon.mil...per.aspx?id=90
                Active first no longer exists

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                  Active first no longer exists
                  The first sentence in the article states that very thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X