Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

    background: currently in RSP and don't go to basic until January '13. I have been physically training regularly for years, including ruck marches(lighter weight, no running). Now that i have been issued official ACU's and boots in RSP, is it acceptable to wear these during my ruck marches when i am training at home. If so, is it acceptable if i do not wear the entire uniform(no hat, no ACU jacket)? I didn't see any regulations concerning this when i searched. Thanks for the input.

  • #2
    Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

    Originally posted by Loyal0ne81 View Post
    background: currently in RSP and don't go to basic until January '13. I have been physically training regularly for years, including ruck marches(lighter weight, no running). Now that i have been issued official ACU's and boots in RSP, is it acceptable to wear these during my ruck marches when i am training at home. If so, is it acceptable if i do not wear the entire uniform(no hat, no ACU jacket)? I didn't see any regulations concerning this when i searched. Thanks for the input.
    You could wear the boots if you want your feet used to rucking in them (breaking them in won't matter becuase you will be issued new ones at basic training), but it is not appropriate to wear your uniform on personal ruck marches around your neighborhood or a State Park, etc.

    Plus it would look weird.....in my opinion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

      Feel free to wear them as pajamas at night while you drinking your warm yoohoo.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

        Originally posted by Loyal0ne81 View Post
        background: currently in RSP and don't go to basic until January '13. I have been physically training regularly for years, including ruck marches(lighter weight, no running). Now that i have been issued official ACU's and boots in RSP, is it acceptable to wear these during my ruck marches when i am training at home. If so, is it acceptable if i do not wear the entire uniform(no hat, no ACU jacket)? I didn't see any regulations concerning this when i searched. Thanks for the input.
        Check out AR 670-1. I'm pretty sure that you're only supposed to wear ACUs when on duty, or traveling to/from duty. And you're always supposed to wear a complete uniform. However, you can (and should) definitely wear your boots.

        Personally, however, if I see a soldier training hard with a ruck and he looks squared away other than omitting the top (which is actually something a commander can authorize anyway), I am definitely not going to give him a hard time. Not to say that someone else won't.

        When I ruck on my own time, I usually wear my old BDU or DCU pants and a tan ACU t-shirt tucked in. Although sometimes I just wear jeans. There are some companies like 5.11 that make tactical cargo pants which you might like.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

          I always attend social functions in my ACU's. I want everyone to know that I am a cool because I am a Soldier.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            I always attend social functions in my ACU's. I want everyone to know that I am a cool because I am a Soldier.
            I'm just the opposite. I always wear my ASUs in the field. IMT in ASUs is where it's at.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

              Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              I always attend social functions in my ACU's. I want everyone to know that I am a cool because I am a Soldier.
              I am pretty good (if I may say so) at reading between the lines, and that is not the impression I got from the OP. It sounds like he's genuinely trying to prepare himself for his upcoming IET and just wants to make sure he's within regs. Sounds like he's a hell of a lot more squared away than his fellow 17 and 18-year-old semi-literate peers.

              In all seriousness, I think it's a valid question and deserves a thoughtful answer. If he's not supposed to ruck in ACU pants, then he'll probably need to purchase some non-issue tactical pants because most civilian clothing isn't any good for ruck training (I have rucked in jeans and it is not fun).

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

                Here's what I found in AR 670-1 that gives a good foundation for how the OP should proceed:

                "1–7. Personal appearance policies
                a. General. The Army is a uniformed service where discipline is judged, in part, by the manner in which a soldier
                wears a prescribed uniform, as well as by the individual’s personal appearance. Therefore, a neat and well-groomed
                appearance by all soldiers is fundamental to the Army and contributes to building the pride and esprit essential to an
                effective military force. A vital ingredient of the Army’s strength and military effectiveness is the pride and selfdiscipline
                that American soldiers bring to their Service through a conservative military image. It is the responsibility of
                commanders to ensure that military personnel under their command present a neat and soldierly appearance. Therefore,
                in the absence of specific procedures or guidelines, commanders must determine a soldier’s compliance with standards
                in this regulation.
                Soldiers must take pride in their appearance at all times, in or out of uniform, on and off duty. Pride
                in appearance includes soldiers’ physical fitness and adherence to acceptable weight standards, in accordance with AR
                600–9."

                On a personal note, I've known Soldiers that have done ruck march practices in their APFT uniform, a modified ACU uniform (much like the LT described above) or even comfortable, conservative civilian attire. My advice would be to ask his RSP cadre to be sure there's not a mandate from his unit on how to wear the uniform. Ultimately, it's all about presenting yourself with pride and respect for the uniform.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

                  Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  On a personal note, I've known Soldiers that have done ruck march practices in their APFT uniform, a modified ACU uniform (much like the LT described above) or even comfortable, conservative civilian attire. My advice would be to ask his RSP cadre to be sure there's not a mandate from his unit on how to wear the uniform. Ultimately, it's all about presenting yourself with pride and respect for the uniform.
                  Excellent point. In theory, if someone really wanted to be a pain about it, they would report him to his unit commander and describe the situation. If the commander authorizes him to wear the uniform in that fashion for the purpose of training, he's off the hook.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

                    Thanks everyone for the information. I appreciate all the responses, smart ass or not. JWarren, you're correct - i like to think that i'm a bit more mature than some of my fellow RSP Warriors(being that i'm 30 yrs old, married, own a house, have a full time job as an industrial engineer, etc..). I just wanted to make sure i was within regs as i trained for 11B OSUT. I have some tactical cargos from lapolicegear that i was wearing before i enlisted, i will continue to wear them. For boots, i was training in my blackhawk warrior desert ops boots(which are awesome btw) and are much more comfortable than the McRae's that i was supplied. Although, i'm going to start wearing the McRae's more and more as i break them in since i'm not sure if the blackhawks are authorized per the regs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

                      Originally posted by Loyal0ne81 View Post
                      Thanks everyone for the information. I appreciate all the responses, smart ass or not. JWarren, you're correct - i like to think that i'm a bit more mature than some of my fellow RSP Warriors(being that i'm 30 yrs old, married, own a house, have a full time job as an industrial engineer, etc..). I just wanted to make sure i was within regs as i trained for 11B OSUT. I have some tactical cargos from lapolicegear that i was wearing before i enlisted, i will continue to wear them. For boots, i was training in my blackhawk warrior desert ops boots(which are awesome btw) and are much more comfortable than the McRae's that i was supplied. Although, i'm going to start wearing the McRae's more and more as i break them in since i'm not sure if the blackhawks are authorized per the regs.
                      The Blackhawk boots should be fine once you get to your unit (you might be allowed to wear them after a certain point during OSUT, but I'm unsure). As long as they're tan, do not have a composite/steel toe, and are eight inches tall they are authorized (check AR 670-1 for specifics).

                      It sounds like you know what you are doing. Good luck at OSUT.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Acceptable? Wearing ACU's during at home training.

                        I ruck wearing ACU pants, tan shirt, boots and boonie hat all the time. The key is to look professional, and this includes being clean shaven. I wear my ACU top sometimes as well but I take off all patches, rank and name tapes before hand. Same goes for when I swim in my boots and uniform. All patches off and look professional.

                        Same thing applies when I run wearing my IBA. I will strip off my rank and name tape before hand. Sometimes I run with the IBA in civilian PT's and sometimes in ACU's. It just depends on my training goal for that day. I will even take my IBA with me to the gym and hop on the stairmaster. Again, removing patches. If someone gets a hair about me and my training I will be happy to refer them to my COC. In 9 years I have never had an incident. The key is to be professional.
                        Last edited by Explosive Hazard; August 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X