Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
National Guard and Full-Time Job Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • National Guard and Full-Time Job

    Hello,

    I am looking to find out more information about the National Guard. I am currently employed full-time and I am not looking to quit to joining the Guard. I was wondering if anyone has experience going on a leave of absence or hiatus from their employment for the 10 week of basic training? I have always thought about joining the Guard I just always have had a steady job that I liked so I did not want to quit. Any information will help. I am going to contact a recruiter too but I thought I would post to see if anyone had any information.

    Thanks,

  • #2
    Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

    You don't have to quit. They are required by law to hold your position while away.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

      Why would you even mentioning quitting a full-time job for a part-time one?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

        Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Why would you even mentioning quitting a full-time job for a part-time one?
        Thanks for the response. I am not looking to quit my full-time job for a part-time job I was just wondering if anyone has experience a leave of absence from their current job to do the basic training. After the ten week training I would resume my full time job while comitting to the Guard for any other training weekends or deployments.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

          Originally posted by ezisk View Post
          Thanks for the response. I am not looking to quit my full-time job for a part-time job I was just wondering if anyone has experience a leave of absence from their current job to do the basic training. After the ten week training I would resume my full time job while comitting to the Guard for any other training weekends or deployments.
          By Law, you cannot lose your job because you joined the Guard and had to leave to attend initial entry training. Yes, many have done it. Perhaps, someone on this forum would have that experience that you are asking about.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

            Don't forget that after your 10 week BCT, you'll be attending your job training, which could range from 4 weeks to a year depending on the MOS. And depending on whether or not your boss is an A@@, then can always find another reason to fire you depending on what state you live in. My boss was surprisingly cool with it, but every company is different.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

              Check out this website, it contains some good info about NG and civilian life.
              http://esgr.com/site/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                I just informed both of my employers about my guard enlistment and both of them are aware of the laws protecting my jobs during my absence for training and afterwards my drills and AT. You just have to make sure your employer knows what's what about the legalities of your military service, because I was prepared to throw the book at my employers if I needed to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                  Thank you for the responses!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                    Originally posted by ezisk View Post
                    Hello,

                    I am looking to find out more information about the National Guard. I am currently employed full-time and I am not looking to quit to joining the Guard. I was wondering if anyone has experience going on a leave of absence or hiatus from their employment for the 10 week of basic training? I have always thought about joining the Guard I just always have had a steady job that I liked so I did not want to quit. Any information will help. I am going to contact a recruiter too but I thought I would post to see if anyone had any information.

                    Thanks,
                    You've got some great advice here! To be honest, though, it would probably be more useful to sit down with your employer and discuss your particular companies' policy on taking a leave of absence. Everyone's situation is different and it's going to require you communicating with your employer at any rate. Good luck!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                      deff going to be replaced considering you will be gone 4 months min. obvs there's a law protecting you but when you come back ull prob get a shty position

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                        Originally posted by Mroviezzo View Post
                        deff going to be replaced considering you will be gone 4 months min. obvs there's a law protecting you but when you come back ull prob get a shty position
                        That is not necessarily the case at all; I was gone 4 months and, with ample notice, my boss DID hire a temp to fill in for me while gone, but I went back to right where I was when I left once I returned. WHY would you tell the OP that when you have no basis for your comment? Once I deciphered exactly what it WAS you were trying to say.....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                          Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          That is not necessarily the case at all; I was gone 4 months and, with ample notice, my boss DID hire a temp to fill in for me while gone, but I went back to right where I was when I left once I returned. WHY would you tell the OP that when you have no basis for your comment? Once I deciphered exactly what it WAS you were trying to say.....
                          just said what was on my mind. if hes worried about his job why join the gaurd? thats like being worried about being deployed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: National Guard and Full-Time Job

                            Originally posted by Mroviezzo View Post
                            just said what was on my mind. if hes worried about his job why join the gaurd? thats like being worried about being deployed
                            he wants to serve his country in the capacity the Guard does without losing his livelihood, Do you understand what the Guard is about?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X