X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank question

I work in the civilian world with a guy who is a retired"captain in the guard. He attended OCs and completed it before he got a bachelors. He then did not get a degree and reverted to enlisted ranks and retired. I know for a fact that he was once a captain but can he refer to himself legitimately as a retired captain? Thanks

Re: Rank question

Originally posted by Stevenmiller View Post
    I work in the civilian world with a guy who is a retired"captain in the guard. He attended OCs and completed it before he got a bachelors. He then did not get a degree and reverted to enlisted ranks and retired. I know for a fact that he was once a captain but can he refer to himself legitimately as a retired captain? Thanks
    Generally speaking you retire at the highest rank held, regardless of the last rank you held. Again, this is generally speaking...there are exceptions. He most likely has a blue I.D. Card that says captain on it....so long story short, yes he can.

Comment

If he did not serve ten years as an officer; then the answer is no. Sounds like he did not go more than four years as an officer before reverting. Based on everything that has been discussed on here; I doubt he was able to go ten years without completing his bachelors. Retired pay will be based on high-3 and the ID card does not necessarily have to reflect that awesome, retirement pay.

For Warrant Officers, you have to serve 6 years as a warrant to retire as one, so that it will list that rank on your retired (blue) ID card.

Ask him to show you his blue ID card. All retirees on my FOB gladly like to flaunt it around.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 30th, 2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

It's possible. I've known to former CPT's who were both E-5's as they didn't finish thier degrees. Not sure when the rule changed about having to have a degree before promoting to CPT.

Comment

Working...
        X