X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 or 6 year enlistment

Hey guys, just wanted to get some insight/opinions on which route I should go, 3 years or 6 years.

I'm headed to MEPS this monday, and though I've told me recruiter I was planning on doing 6, I am leaning towards the 3. I can always make that change(3 years) up at MEPS correct?

Is there any major differences between the two? The reason I originally was going to do 6, is I was wanting the SLRP, but have since learned I can not get that program.

I've been told that you can get the free tuition with the 3 year enlistment, can anyone confirm this?

Also about the GI Bill(which only comes w/ 6 year), that is just the extra money on top of the free tuition if your in school full time correct?

I've already got 86 college credit hours, so I don't have much school left.

Re: 3 or 6 year enlistment

You already understand that a 3X5 will cut your ability to obtain $550 (SR MGIB w/kicker) extra per month for 36 months as a full time student. That represents $20,000 in cash benefit. It is true that you MAY not use all of it, even during your first 6 year enlistment, but if you were to obtain a Master's degree you could easily use all of it.

Other than feeling like you can "get out" earlier, what is the advantage of a 3 year contract? Perhaps the tenative possibility of a re-enlistment bonus.

Let's do a little "numbers" review so you can understand the actual amount of time you are serving.

Basic Training = about 70 days including travel and reception
    AIT = obviously this can be variable from as little as 4 to perhaps as many as 17 weeks, but for purposes of this discussion let's just say 10 weeks or another 70 days.

6 years of IADT Drills = (minus the time you were on active duty for training) 132 days
    5 years of AT (you'll likely not attend AT your first year due to your active duty training) = 75 days.

TOTAL TIME SERVED IN UNIFORM FOR A 6 YEAR GUARD ENLISTMENT (Deployments excepted) 347 days. Those with short OSUT's (11B etc) will do closer to 300.

So a 6 year Army Guard enlistment doesn't even equal a single year "in boots". Your potential 3 year enlistment has the same 140 +/- initial training time, but the remaining 2.5 years amounts to a whopping 90 days in uniform for a total of 180-230 days in uniform. Again, for a short OSUT soldier he could literally serve barely 6 months in uniform.

Kentucky's TA program is 100% tuition for enlisted servicemembers.

Additionally (thus the edit), you can not qualify for VA Home Loan benefits unless you perform at least 6 years of Reserve service.
    Last edited by Mongoose772; July 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      You already understand that a 3X5 will cut your ability to obtain $550 (SR MGIB w/kicker) extra per month for 36 months as a full time student. That represents $20,000 in cash benefit. It is true that you MAY not use all of it, even during your first 6 year enlistment, but if you were to obtain a Master's degree you could easily use all of it.

Other than feeling like you can "get out" earlier, what is the advantage of a 3 year contract? Perhaps the tenative possibility of a re-enlistment bonus.

Let's do a little "numbers" review so you can understand the actual amount of time you are serving.

Basic Training = about 70 days including travel and reception
      AIT = obviously this can be variable from as little as 4 to perhaps as many as 17 weeks, but for purposes of this discussion let's just say 10 weeks or another 70 days.

6 years of IADT Drills = (minus the time you were on active duty for training) 132 days
      5 years of AT (you'll likely not attend AT your first year due to your active duty training) = 75 days.

TOTAL TIME SERVED IN UNIFORM FOR A 6 YEAR GUARD ENLISTMENT (Deployments excepted) 347 days. Those with short OSUT's (11B etc) will do closer to 300.

So a 6 year Army Guard enlistment doesn't even equal a single year "in boots". Your potential 3 year enlistment has the same 140 +/- initial training time, but the remaining 2.5 years amounts to a whopping 90 days in uniform for a total of 180-230 days in uniform. Again, for a short OSUT soldier he could literally serve barely 6 months in uniform.

Kentucky's TA program is 100% tuition for enlisted servicemembers.

Additionally (thus the edit), you can not qualify for VA Home Loan benefits unless you perform at least 6 years of Reserve service.
      Thanks for your in depth reply. That makes it alot easier to go on.

Comment

Majority do 6x2 to get full benefits. Typically down the road you'll have to renew for another 6 to obtain any other big benefits that may be offered.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Typically down the road you'll have to renew for another 6 to obtain any other big benefits that may be offered.
          If you don't mind, what kind of other benefits would one have to serve for 6 years and have to renew another 6 for? Thanks.

Comment

Student Loan Repayment (SLRP) as previously mentioned is one. It was a new benefit introduced near the end of my term. And I could not take advantage of it unless I signed up for another 6 despite having existing loans.

Comment

Bonuses are another benefit that you would need to serve an additional 6 years. It's taking me a while to post them, but check out the Benefits section here on the Forum. I've started a list stickies on all the Incentives currently being offered.

Comment

Working...
              X