Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you be an 11B in an Airborne Inf. unit but not have attended Airborne?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be an 11B in an Airborne Inf. unit but not have attended Airborne?

Can you be assigned to an Airborne Infantry unit as an 11B but not have attended Airborne? Also is it possible to be in an Abn Infantry unit and NEVER get sent to Airborne school?

I am considering joing but have heard rumors you can get assigned to the Airborne unit but not have Airborne in your contract and have to "earn" Airborne while in the unit. I have nothing against earning a school but it seems odd that it could happen that you are assigned as an 11B in an Airborne unit but not be Airborne qualed.

Re: Can you be an 11B in an Airborne Inf. unit but not have attended Airborne?

from what i know, if you get assigned to an ABN unit, you are going to ABN school. if you are switching from a leg unit to a jump unit, they will find time to get you sent through jump school. I have never heard of anyone being stuck in an active jumping unit without ever getting their wings

Comment

If you are joining the ARNG, and want to be assigned to this unit, then you will more than likely be sent to Airborne school after AIT, not always the rule, however it is more cost effective to send you when you are already at Ft. Benning. If you are joining the unit, and are already 11B MOS qualified, then you will take part in all training that does not include parachute operation, and when your unit can slot you in the school you will then attend the course.

To be in an Airborne unit, you are volunteering to be Airborne qualified, which means attending the 3 week Basic Airborne Course at Fort Benning, GA. You will not be earning your "jump wings" through your unit and its training; however if the unit is Airborne then it is a mandatory requirement that you be qualified to do so.

If you have no plans or desire to be Airborne qualified, then chances are pretty good that you will not be allowed to join the unit; or if you tell them "I will go" and then change your mind to "I will not go", you may find yourself invited to find another unit.

It all depends on the state, and the unit. If your recruiter cannot answer your questions, see if your recruiter will put you in contact with the unit to ask them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
        To be in an Airborne unit, you are volunteering to be Airborne qualified, which means attending the 3 week Basic Airborne Course at Fort Benning, GA. You will not be earning your "jump wings" through your unit and its training; however if the unit is Airborne then it is a mandatory requirement that you be qualified to do so.

If you have no plans or desire to be Airborne qualified, then chances are pretty good that you will not be allowed to join the unit; or if you tell them "I will go" and then change your mind to "I will not go", you may find yourself invited to find another unit.
        I would give my leg to go to airborne school haha.. but I guess i kind of need it to jump out of the plane

Comment

Working...
        X