Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Motivation/Help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Motivation/Help

    So basically i been trying to join the Guard for a couple months now. And the reason it has been taking so long is because around dec of 2011 i was enlisted in the Army Reserves, but then got dropped in about a month for 3 tickets i got. Two were for under age pos of alcohol and one was a misdemeanor for having someone elses I.D. I was told that these tickets are no big deal by a friend in the Guard. But i been working with a recruiter for a while now getting all the dispositions for the tickets like more then once.. which all were DROPPED. But it still is taking forever. Im apparently waiting on a wavier to be cleared. I'm 19 and im not a bad kid and i wanted to join the service for a while. Marines shot me now for a tattoo, got dropped from the army for tickets, had to many traffic tickets for the Cost guard, and now my last chance is the National Guard and i would like to go 11b infantry. Does anyone have and advise for me?

    also one recruiter i was working with left the area with out telling me.. and someone else picked up my file
    and also i contacted another recruiter not in my area, who sounded interested and told me he would call MEPS but never got back to me.
    Last edited by Mroviezzo; August 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

  • #2
    Re: Need Motivation/Help

    The reason you are not getting a great deal of "customer service" from recruiters, is most likely due to the fact that attempting to enlist you is, by your own admission, kind of a pain in the a$$. Think of it from the service's standpoint, (and I say this inclusively to the vast number of "waiver" enlistees we hear from on this forum), why would a recruiter spend an entire production day or perhaps the better part of a work week dealing with waivers, and recommendation letters, and endorsements, court dispositions on numerous charges, a entry level separation issue with the Reserve, when he likely has several applicants he's actively working near the final stretch of the FY who he can enlist without any of the added time, paperwork, or possibility that it won't work out anyway. I have no serious doubts that you are not a "bad kid" as you put it, but what you are learning now is that actions have consequence. Sometimes poor decisions we make cause repurcussions that last our entire lives. Best of luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need Motivation/Help

      Yeah that makes sense. Like i know im just a number to a recruiters just like most kids. Just kinda personally pissed at one recruiter who kept saying i was ready for MEPS week after week and at one point told me i had a MP slot then cancelled a day before, then just left the area lol. Guess that's my issue though. I can only hope they see something in me and realize im worth the effort of joining.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need Motivation/Help

        i made a big reply but it didn't post lmao? guess an Admin didn't like it.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need Motivation/Help

          Originally posted by Mroviezzo View Post
          i made a big reply but it didn't post lmao? guess an Admin didn't like it.....
          Just keep on your recruiter. In the mean time do things to show that you arre a good person and that you learned from your mistakes and that you are growing and maturing. This could be college classes or become a mentor or...
          Maybe you won't be able to enlist right now but if you let some time pass with no new issues and you can show you were just a dumb kid and have learned and matured then you may have a better shot in a year or two.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need Motivation/Help

            yeah ill do my best. but i can only try/wait for so long. Gona have to look for a full time job soon if i dont get it, cant workf or cash anymore its to on and off. that or ill move lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need Motivation/Help

              The Army (and any armed forces branch) is not just a paycheck and games. We have a mission to accomplish and we need soldiers that can produce. Your recruiter will have to make judgements based on enlistment guidelines. If something in your history brings up a red flag, it is his job to be very careful with the process. I agree with the above statements and I have very little to add. If you want to serve, prove it. Keep calling your recruiter. Ask if there is any way you can help the process along. Pop culture makes it seem as though you sign on the dotted line and you are in. That is not the case, the Army needs to know that you can be an expert and a professional. Anything that could hurt you getting a nice civilian job will hurt you getting a military one. Stay motivated and keep working hard. If you can't land a waiver now, get some college under your belt and stay out of trouble, come back and push hard. In any case, drive on and do whatever you must to meet your own life goals.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need Motivation/Help

                thanks man ill do my best to join! if not ill keep my life goals high

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need Motivation/Help

                  I think I have something That relates to what Mongoose said, which is my own case. I started my application and a couple of days later I met with my recruiter in person. We had a long interview, over 3 hours long. We had a chance to learn a bit about one another, and most importantly he got a good look at me and the reasons why I wanted to join. In mid interview I brought up that I have psoriasis (a disqualifier), and the whole thing came to a sort of stop and my recruiter seemed a bit worried and losing some interest; but recruiter kept on "interviewing" me and I think it is all the reasons I gave him for joining, my fears, and that I wanted to eventually become an officer so I am in a position to improve things in the guard and so on, and I am sure it was all those things for which the recruiter took a chance with me. He knew there was a chance for me to be disqualified, but he worked with me devising a plan and led me through the process, he called me with an appointment for MEPS, I went to Houston and took my ASVAB, and next day physical, and it was then when the doc diagnosed me with psoriasis and said it was a disqualifier, but I asked about the possibility for a waiver and he said he would refer me to a dermatologist. Needless to say, I left MEPS without completing the whole process and I thought it was game over for me; then my recruiter called me when I was driving back home and asked me about it, gave him the news and he was disappointed, but it was HIM who told me to keep playing the game, to have the consult with the dermatologist and see what happens! It was my recruiter who pushed for me to keep trying. I guess, what I am trying to say is, my recruiter took a chance with me because I showed him what I am made of, and that I want to grow up and be better, and that I do not think I am Rambo but that I do have some fears like most of us. I would suggest, meet in person with your recruiter so he has a chance to see you and get a feeling about you, if you show that you would be a good asset he might take the time and take a chance with you too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need Motivation/Help

                    Thanks for your story man. i wish the best of luck to you! Sucks something like that would be a disqualifer when they dont even know you. But yeah ive met MANY recruiters in person haha. if anyones interested on my first post basicly im waiting for some BS paper work because im still in some way a part of the Army reserve unit i was going to be in. And i guess there being dicks for lack of a better term/no disrespect.

                    so i will keep in touch if i ever get in! and or when i give up. Hard to be motivated when week after week for months is the same story.. "oh maybe next week"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need Motivation/Help

                      Originally posted by Samponiato View Post
                      I think I have something That relates to what Mongoose said, which is my own case. I started my application and a couple of days later I met with my recruiter in person. We had a long interview, over 3 hours long. We had a chance to learn a bit about one another, and most importantly he got a good look at me and the reasons why I wanted to join. In mid interview I brought up that I have psoriasis (a disqualifier), and the whole thing came to a sort of stop and my recruiter seemed a bit worried and losing some interest; but recruiter kept on "interviewing" me and I think it is all the reasons I gave him for joining, my fears, and that I wanted to eventually become an officer so I am in a position to improve things in the guard and so on, and I am sure it was all those things for which the recruiter took a chance with me. He knew there was a chance for me to be disqualified, but he worked with me devising a plan and led me through the process, he called me with an appointment for MEPS, I went to Houston and took my ASVAB, and next day physical, and it was then when the doc diagnosed me with psoriasis and said it was a disqualifier, but I asked about the possibility for a waiver and he said he would refer me to a dermatologist. Needless to say, I left MEPS without completing the whole process and I thought it was game over for me; then my recruiter called me when I was driving back home and asked me about it, gave him the news and he was disappointed, but it was HIM who told me to keep playing the game, to have the consult with the dermatologist and see what happens! It was my recruiter who pushed for me to keep trying. I guess, what I am trying to say is, my recruiter took a chance with me because I showed him what I am made of, and that I want to grow up and be better, and that I do not think I am Rambo but that I do have some fears like most of us. I would suggest, meet in person with your recruiter so he has a chance to see you and get a feeling about you, if you show that you would be a good asset he might take the time and take a chance with you too.
                      Did you finally get a chance to enlist?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need Motivation/Help

                        RyCass, sort of. I went to the dermatologist in Houston for the consult and he said he had no issues giving me a waiver for it due to my case not being serious. So after that I went back to MEPS and they told me to wait for waiver to go through Washington and they will call me in when finished. I have been staying in touch with my recruiter but no news yet. Asked him if it was just a matter of time or if there was a problem with my waiver, and he said "no problem" and that it was just a matter of time. So It seems as I will enlist, but have not done it yet.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need Motivation/Help

                          Originally posted by Mroviezzo View Post
                          if anyones interested on my first post basicly im waiting for some BS paper work because im still in some way a part of the Army reserve unit i was going to be in. And i guess there being dicks for lack of a better term/no disrespect.
                          So you mean the army reserve unit that went through all the work of putting you in, only to have YOU make BAD decisions causing YOU to be DISCHARGED is not giving you the customer service you want in getting all your paperwork? yeah...they are such dicks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need Motivation/Help

                            Originally posted by Samponiato View Post
                            RyCass, sort of. I went to the dermatologist in Houston for the consult and he said he had no issues giving me a waiver for it due to my case not being serious. So after that I went back to MEPS and they told me to wait for waiver to go through Washington and they will call me in when finished. I have been staying in touch with my recruiter but no news yet. Asked him if it was just a matter of time or if there was a problem with my waiver, and he said "no problem" and that it was just a matter of time. So It seems as I will enlist, but have not done it yet.
                            It definitely sounds promising! Waiting for a waiver can be hard as there are no time frame for when they are approved. Your recruiter is on the ball, though. Keep us posted!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need Motivation/Help

                              Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                              So you mean the army reserve unit that went through all the work of putting you in, only to have YOU make BAD decisions causing YOU to be DISCHARGED is not giving you the customer service you want in getting all your paperwork? yeah...they are such dicks.

                              all the "work" lmao thats there damn job to get people to join. the guy got me in within 2 weeks, also lied a lot and and rushed me didn't even like my MOS didn't even pick one with me before MEPS even the guy at MEPS was like "you really didnt pick a job". yeah id say hes a dick

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X