X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppurtunities to Travel

I am thinking about joining as an 11B infantryman. Do soldiers in the guard get opportunities to travel the world like active duty do? I'm talking about training outside of home states and deployments to countries besides Afghanistan. If a deployment to the Middle East isn't in my units future does that mean I will be stuck here?

Re: Oppurtunities to Travel

That will depend on the unit and individual. When I was in the Reserves and Guard; I just went to Fort Dix, NJ and Stones Ranch, CT and did a JRTC rotation the year Kennedy Jr. died. But I knew Guardmembers that went to Cuba and California border for AT and "deployed" to Germany and Fort Campbell. Also, Guard units have been heavily involved in the Bosnia mission.

I am active-duty Army and I was stationed in Germany for 3.5 years; as well as Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Colorado with JRTC and JMTC stints. Nothing with NTC as of yet. As a Marine, I was based in Okinawa and did maneuvers in Korea. Also, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan during my combat deployments. Also, I was stationed in Virginia for two years.

Plus I been to Hawaii and Alaska, Carribean, South America, Central America (Panama); all over Europe lol. I do want to go to Africa and Australia.

But yes, as an active duty soldier; your chances of travel are much greater than serving in the reserve components unless you are Air National Guard and fly on those drill weekends.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Slicker proffered an excellent response. It is very unit, state, and budget dependent. We have had units (outside of deployments) go to Honduras, Germany, Belize, Montenegro, the Arctic Circle, and a dozen states. Of course,you might only do "in-state" ATs the entire 4 or 5 ATs during your initial enlistment.

Comment

Originally posted by bri View Post
        I am thinking about joining as an 11B infantryman. Do soldiers in the guard get opportunities to travel the world like active duty do? I'm talking about training outside of home states and deployments to countries besides Afghanistan. If a deployment to the Middle East isn't in my units future does that mean I will be stuck here?
        What does your recruiter say about the type of missions your state does as an 11B?

Comment

Thanks for your well informed responses. My recruiter didn't say much about the infantry getting deployed. She did specifically mention mp's and engineers get activated more often than other mos's for the state of emergencies. And fmcityslicker I have a question for you. I know it is apples and oranges but could you answer my original question about travel opportunities but instead regarding the Marine Corps Reserve? Being a federal organization I would assume the likelihood would be greater. There is a local Marine Corps Reserve combat engineer unit is why I ask.

Comment

As in my first post, I said I was both in the Guard and Reserves and I saw a little more in the Guard. Federal has nothing to do with it.

Comment

You are very unlikely to go anywhere ouside the continental United States(OCONUS) while in a NG unit. Just from my personal observation, it seems that combat units get more opportunity. However, those opportunities are still pretty rare. Again, personal observation, it seems a combat unit such as an infantry company or combat engineer company might get to go OCONUS once every 6-10 years or so. This is not counting the combat deployment that rotates every 5 years. So in a 20 year NG career you might see a couple OCONUS AT's. This year my unit was supposed to go to Germany for AT but due to our upcoming deployment that got cancelled for theater specific training. Maybe a couple years after we get back Germany will be on the table for us again.

Like mentioned a lot of this will depend on the type of unit, the units mission, and the units/states budget. Obviously units such as Special Forces will have a much larger budget and plenty more opportunities to travel OCONUS, its part of their mission anyway. Other units like civil affairs would most likely have more opportunity as well because its part of their mission. Now a state with a very low budget, or a state that doesn't know how to manage their budget(like my state) will have far fewer opportunities for OCONUS training.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                You are very unlikely to go anywhere ouside the continental United States(OCONUS) while in a NG unit.
                Just want to re-clarify for anyone reading...that SGT Juggernaut's response is with regards to training. Chances of deployment are still very likely.

Comment

It also depends on your job, one of my buddys is an MP and he was sent to Germany for a month, as well as 2, 1 month long missions to Haiti. As an infantryman myself I got to go to Japan for 2 weeks of training, besides that iv been to Oklahoma, Georgia, Nebraska, and Washington for training. When it comes to deployment opportunities your most likely place to go is Africa or Kosovo, My unit's first deployment ever is next year and where going to either Afghanistan or Kosovo, but were like 95% sure it's Kosovo since Afghanistan is winding down considerably.

I will be honest I love my job but if your goal is to travel to places that don't want to kill us, 11B might not be the best choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X