X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Guard to ADOS/AGR/Deployment/Active Duty

Hello Everyone, I am SPC. Babb, I once stalked these forums long ago when I was a wee Civi and then a good old PV2. It's nice to still see familiar faces even after a few years. Anyway the reason I am posting is I am a SPC in the Missouri Guard currently at WLC for my promotion to SGT after being in the Guard infantry for 3 1/2 years. After being here and working with active and reservists it's opened my eyes that I want more than the one weekend a month. So I have been looking rigorously into any way I can working for the military full time. I want to apply for ADOS orders, looking into AGR jobs for both the Guard and reserve, as well as Volunteering for a deployment or simply seeing if I can transfer active duty if all else fails.

Little about me I scored an 89 on the ASVAB with a GT score of 127, I scored a 294 on the PT and am aiming for a 300, I qualified expert on my M16 and went to school to become a Javelin Instructor, and unless I majorly screw up I should graduate on commandants list at WLC. i have been a Team leader for 1 1/2 years and acting SL for 6 months.

I'm not trying to brag I just wanted to post my qualifications so yal can give me advice on my best course of action. I am more than willing to reclass even as a paper-pusher. I personally love the Guard and don't want to leave if I don't have to but I want to wear this uniform every day.

Last but not least I have about 2 years left on my contract active drilling but I will most likely re-up, I have not been deployed yet but rumors are we are going somewhere late next year. Rumors are it's somewhere like Kosovo that's a joke (again no offense) I want to go to like Afghanistan or Africa. Yes yes I know wait my turn it will come, but I didn't join the Infantry to sit on my ass for 6 years, I want to do something before things wind down for good. To say I got to do something, before I become a desk-jockey and raise a family.

Sorry for massive wall of text, thanks for all your help and service!

FOLLOW ME!

Re: Going Guard to ADOS/AGR/Deployment/Active Duty

Your state most likely has a website that posts AGR openings as well as some ADOS. Look there. Google is at your finger tips.

Comment

Haha roger Sgt I do know how to use Google and my state does have a website for that. I am in the process of applying for an ADOS job as we speak. The reason I posted here was to try and get valuable insight on my options from people who know what I am going through and could possible help guide me.

Comment

Look also on GKO, for temporary tours and mobilizations.

Comment

Yes Sir, I have checked GKO and I cannot seem to find the area for Temp Tours and Mobs. The place that was about volunteering sayed that they cancelled it through GKO but I wasn't sure if there was any other wat.

Comment

Network, network, network!

Talk to your Readiness or Training NCO who are already AGR. They (generally) are well tuned to who is coming or going in regards to ADOS/AGR. If they don't know, ask them to call someone at Battalion.

Otherwise, keep pinging your state's website to see what crops up.

Good luck!

Comment

I went from Guard to Active back in 2003 (did the whole MEPS and contract in the summer of 2003 and left Jan 2004) and was given a small number of MOSes to reclass to. It was a headache and constant inquiring on the paperwork trail and DD368 approval and now and days it is even harder for prior service to switch. You need to talk to an active duty recruiter constantly to receive updates. I would suggest getting a DD 368 signed and approved since it is good for one year. If something miraculously happens 8 months from now that makes you eligible; you will be appear to transfer quickly and smoothly.

Comment

Another good resource (if you don't care where you physically go) is https://mobcop.army.mil/tod/default_new.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Ababb21 View Post
                  Yes Sir, I have checked GKO and I cannot seem to find the area for Temp Tours and Mobs. The place that was about volunteering sayed that they cancelled it through GKO but I wasn't sure if there was any other wat.
                  You have to use tour of duty. There is a giant link to it in GKO but the poster above me just gave you the link.

Comment

Now THAT'S what I am talking about, thank you so much Sir's and Sergeants alike. I am going to get with my rediness NCO when I get back home as well as learn more about the Tour of Duty. Hopefully something will pan out! Cityslicker I have looked into going active and right now the only MOS I could go active is my current one 11Bravo, they arn't allowing any reclasses, and I love my job don't get me wrong, but thats kind of a last resort option right now lol.

If anyone has anymore advice or tips please keep posting! i will update yal as things progress.

FOLLOW ME!

Comment

Working...
                    X