X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you hear your calling?

Im a 15 year old WANNABE US Army soldier who has always wanted to serve before I can remember and look forward to that day. But I was curious when those of you have actually become Soldiers, knew you wanted to serve? (Or USMC, USN, USAF) ? Had it been your whole life? After HS? Late in life? Just curious. Thank you so much for your service. I admire you and you are all hero's.
    Last edited by TreyAR; July 13th, 2012, 01:12 AM.

Re: When did you hear your calling?

When I was 16, I went to the recruiting office and they told me I need to come back when I was 17. I did on the day after my birthday; passed the ASVAB, and my mother signed. I enlisted as a 12B, split-op back in 1983. Switched to the Marine Corps and had to boot camp all over over again. Afterwards had a break in service for 7 years and joined the Army National Guard after I left the US Border Patrol.

Served as a 12B, 42A, 31B and other MOSes in between from the Corps. Came back on active duty and been in the regular Army now for almost 9 years.

It was not a calling but I had my uncles who were Vietnam vets and I was looking for an exciting summer job that was different from my friends. To this day, (now that I am 46) and served three combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, my family would have never believed I would have made a career of the service. I am the second one in my family (my cousin retired Marine) to do so. Every other cousin/uncle was either drafted or did four years. My cousin's son leaves in two months to be a cook in the Marine Corps. He just graduated from high school and is a good kid.

My other cousin finished a 7 month Afghanistan deployment and left when I arrived here in March. He is Air National Guard and never served on active besides this deployment. He now has the Post 9/11 GI Bill and has started college in Oklahoma and his rent is being paid for by the government.

A lot of bennies today that I did not have in 1983 and sometimes I wish every "good" citizen would serve their country for at least 3 years. Everyone talks about equal rights but then never really invests themselves as a patriot to the republic. Everything is "give me".

Good luck and focus on school and get those excellent grades.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 13th, 2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you've been around Thank you for your years of dedication to our country. And that last part is exactly what my father has said for years. I appreciate everything you and your family has done.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
        Im a 15 year old WANNABE US Army soldier who has always wanted to serve before I can remember and look forward to that day. But I was curious when those of you have actually become Soldiers, knew you wanted to serve? (Or USMC, USN, USAF) ? Had it been your whole life? After HS? Late in life? Just curious. Thank you so much for your service. I admire you and you are all hero's.
        You're back! I remember your thread about wanting to be a sniper.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          You're back! I remember your thread about wanting to be a sniper.
          I'm over that lol. Give me a break, I was *am* a youngster glamorized a bit by Games and TV.

By the way Sir... it was threadS

Comment

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
            By the way Sir... it was threadS
            Shhhh.....this is one of those cases where it's fine to let the officer be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              Shhhh.....this is one of those cases where it's fine to let the officer be wrong.
              Oopsers! I'm here to learn

Comment

Working...
              X