Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about enlisting, have a few questions.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about enlisting, have a few questions.

I am thinking about enlisting in the Wisconsin National Guard as a 91B wheeled vehicle mechanic. There are a few 91B opportunities in WI that i'd be interested in. Now here's my question,what happens after AIT? Do I go to Madison for example and stay there with the unit? Or do I go home and try to find a civilian mechanic job? Also would I be staying in WI? I wouldn't be sent to another state after AIT would I? I would like to stay close to home and still be able to visit my girlfriend in college, after all she's the reason i'm not going full active duty Army which was my plan about a year and a half ago. I just finished high school and i'm really confused on what to do next. I would like a career as an auto mechanic and I thought that being a 91B would help me get there.

Re: thinking about enlisting, have a few questions.

You return home and begin drilling with the WI Guard unit near you.

Comment

One of the greatest benefits to being in the National Guard is having the ability to serve your country while also pursuing your civilian goals. Keep in mind that being a 91B will look great on your resume, but it won't automatically get you a job in the civilian sector. If you're looking for a full time job as a 91B, your most direct route would be to go Active Duty.

As far as your commitment, SteveLord is correct. You'll drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year at a unit near your home of record in WI. You won't be expected to drill in a different state unless you move there.

For more information on Guard basics, I would recommend checking out the National Guard website. Take a look: http://bit.ly/KiXcZo

Comment

Originally posted by gsoleski View Post
        I am thinking about enlisting in the Wisconsin National Guard as a 91B wheeled vehicle mechanic. There are a few 91B opportunities in WI that i'd be interested in. Now here's my question,what happens after AIT? Do I go to Madison for example and stay there with the unit? Or do I go home and try to find a civilian mechanic job? Also would I be staying in WI? I wouldn't be sent to another state after AIT would I? I would like to stay close to home and still be able to visit my girlfriend in college, after all she's the reason i'm not going full active duty Army which was my plan about a year and a half ago. I just finished high school and i'm really confused on what to do next. I would like a career as an auto mechanic and I thought that being a 91B would help me get there.
        You got some great responses.

I am no relationship expert, but if you really want to go active duty take a good long look at the reasons for not going. With things the way they are in the military, no one is really taking prior service. If you join the Guard and try to go active duty later you will be considered prior service. If the lady doesn't work out, she will become just another ex girlfriend in life, and you will be in a very long commitment with the National Guard, stopping you from potentially doing what you really want in life.

Comment

Thanks guys. I know it won't automatically get me a job but it should look pretty good along with the high school classes I took. I was also thinking about joining the local air refueling wing as a plane mechanic.

"I am no relationship expert, but if you really want to go active duty take a good long look at the reasons for not going."
          That's a good point, not something I'd like to think about but you're right.

Comment

let me know if you decide to enlist. My hometown has alot of mechanics as well does another Batallion in the state. Wisconsin has a very nice Guard program, it definetly becomes what you want to make of it.

Comment

Working...
            X