Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
ASVAB aftermath..... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASVAB aftermath.....

    So I took my ASVAB and got a 82 percentile score! **** YA! but now this is where I stand. I gave my recruiter my Top 6 picks for MOS jobs and to my luck.... ALL FULL @#&*($#&!!! This is very discouraging, now it seems like my good test scores wont matter and will have to settle with something that i wont necesarilly like. So studying for this test went to waste I feel. I applied for:

    -68w
    -74d
    -14j
    -13c
    -15q
    -35f
    -15w

    Any other options that may be similar? or know how often availability changes with slots?

    (he said theres a 68A slot open but really doesnt grab my attention at all, and is the only other medical slot open!)

    I want to leave ASAP and rather not wait 6+ months for a slot to open.

  • #2
    Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

    Originally posted by Blessed1 View Post
    So I took my ASVAB and got a 82 percentile score! **** YA! but now this is where I stand. I gave my recruiter my Top 6 picks for MOS jobs and to my luck.... ALL FULL @#&*($#&!!! This is very discouraging, now it seems like my good test scores wont matter and will have to settle with something that i wont necesarilly like. So studying for this test went to waste I feel. I applied for:

    -68w
    -74d
    -14j
    -13c
    -15q
    -35f
    -15w

    Any other options that may be similar? or know how often availability changes with slots?

    (he said theres a 68A slot open but really doesnt grab my attention at all, and is the only other medical slot open!)

    I want to leave ASAP and rather not wait 6+ months for a slot to open.
    I'd rather wait 6 months for a slot to open than wait 6 years until one's enlistment is over to get another MOS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

      Agree with this. If you really want 68W try to hold out for it. See if you can find out if there are any units deployed in your area who will be returning soon...often spots open up after people come back, or so I am told. October may pose an option for you as well. You can still try to quick-ship once you get the slot you want.

      I was going for 68W as well and was told that all slots were closed and the state was overstaffed on them so the likelihood of me getting one anytime soon was nill. There have been two other slots for it open up since I've signed. I'm happy with the MOS I do have but still irritated I was told that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

        Today is a great day! So I got a call from my recruiter today saying that the last Medic job in the whole state of utah opened up and got me locked in!! 68w baby!!!!

        I got Meps July 26th. and swear in the same day.

        HOOOOAHHH!!!!


        Prayers and patiently waiting worked out after all.

        One step closer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

          That's good stuff! Good luck.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

            I'm glad you are happy. Although, if I had seen this post earlier, I would have HIGHLY suggested you to have eagerly taken the 68A slot. I'm sure you are excited, and I have no idea of your educational background or current career, but 68W's are a "dime a dozen". It's often billed as the largest MOS in the Army, and frankly being the equivalent to a Army version of a Basic EMT will make you about 9 or 10 bucks an hour (if you're one of the reasonably few reservists that work in the field outside of drill). Ahhh, but a Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician (CBET) (68A) is highly sought after by just about every modest sized free standing healthcare facility, and the national payscale is between $17 - $30 an hour. Frankly, your high ASVAB score would have served you much better in the technical engineering MOS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

              Congrats on finding the slot! Sounds like you had a similar issue that I did. I'm in the Utah Guard now as of a couple weeks ago and after doing my asvab, found out that all the aviation slots I wanted were full! Then my recruiters boss worked some magic and found my 15Y slot! I don't know what it is with this state right now but they seem to not have a lot of stuff open right now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

                Originally posted by Solrider View Post

                I was going for 68W as well and was told that all slots were closed and the state was overstaffed on them so the likelihood of me getting one anytime soon was nill. There have been two other slots for it open up since I've signed. I'm happy with the MOS I do have but still irritated I was told that.
                I was going for 68W as well but none were open (at least not for a woman) so I chose a different MOS. My first RSP drill there was a woman who had signed up just a few days before hand who did get 68W. I ended up with 15T which was not on my radar at all when I went to MEPS and I gotta say I'm actually way more excited about it than I ever was for 68W.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

                  Originally posted by nss View Post
                  I was going for 68W as well but none were open (at least not for a woman) so I chose a different MOS. My first RSP drill there was a woman who had signed up just a few days before hand who did get 68W. I ended up with 15T which was not on my radar at all when I went to MEPS and I gotta say I'm actually way more excited about it than I ever was for 68W.

                  Regardless of how you came to your decision, the important thing is that you are happy with your selection. Good luck with your up and coming training!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

                    Glad to hear it worked out for you. I waited 6 months for my 68W slot. My recuriter worked his rear off to get it for me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

                      well guys yesterday was the best day ever. I finally enlisted and swore in. Im officially a guard member hoooah!

                      and whats even crazier is that I ship to Basic on.... AUG. 27th, exactly one month away! bahaha! Ft. Jackson here I come!

                      then its to Ft. Sam Houston for AIT.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: ASVAB aftermath.....

                        Congratulations! Now comes the fun!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X