X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path to follow advice needed

Went to the dermatologist and he ok'd waiver for my psoriasis. So I have been working with my recruiter to find a suitable MOS so the waiver can be processed. Scored pretty high so I am qualified for any MOS, however, since I am a permanent resident and not a US citizen (yet) my MOS options are limited due to security clearance and so on. So I decided to go the OCS route. Recruiter isn't trying hard to get me into infantry, but he has brought it up as one of my options, he isn't pushing it though. Now, question, can you do OCS straight out of BCT? Or do you go through AIT regardless, and then OCS? Recruiter told me that I could do BCT, then AIT for infantry and then apply for OCS. Also, I am looking to drill in the Houston, TX, area, and there aren't many options for me. Everybody around me is freaking out about my potential choice of infantry and being deployed to a war zone; and to be honest, the only reason why it would bother me a bit is because of my two daughters, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyhow... I'd like some input; I know the ultimate decision is made by me and no one can make that decision for me, but I'd like to get some opinions and ideas from you all. I always think that feedback from different people with different backgrounds, history, outlook, experiences help one make an educated choice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Path to follow advice needed

It sounds like your recruiter is leading you in the right direction. A word on Citizenship. According to the regulations, specifically the PM 12-025:

"Applicants may enroll in the State or Accelerated OCS without citizenship; however, they must possess or obtain United States citizenship prior to appointment."

It goes on to say you you must be a citizen with Federal OCS.

As far as deploying, it's important as a Soldier to be prepared for whatever the mission calls for. If you have any doubts, make sure you examine them carefully; especially if you have a family.

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the citizenship requirement. Recruiter told me at the end of BCT/graduation there will be a ceremony in which they will make me a citizen. He is aware of my situation. About deployment... wife's only concern is "getting killed", and I guess that is everybody's concern. I just don't see it that way, but I understand their point of view. The thing is that people think being in infantry is a secure ticket to a combat zone and getting killed. Yeah, unfortunately that has been the case for many, but I just don't see it as a certain thing. I think we came to an understanding about it. I will enlist, go through OCS, do my term and serve. If I deploy, and after I deploy throughout my term, we will re-evaluate my situation. If it is something my wife and daughters cannot live with, I won't reenlist, and instead I will enlist in the Texas State Guard (no deployments). I truly just want to serve, but I also understand those around me and their concerns. I think mine is a good game plan, I just wanted opinions. When people ask me why I want to join and put myself through it I just cannot explain it... all I can say is "I hear a call to serve"... it is crazy, but unless you do not "hear the call", you cannot understand it. I didn't hear it before, but now I do; even though I do not need to do it; I am 33, wife, 2 daughters, job, degree, advancing little by little; but I just cannot see myself not serving at least for one term and give back to a country that has given me many opportunities.

Comment

Quick question... I forgot to mention, wife would be thrilled if I do get deployed to Germany or Japan... so... can one volunteer to deploy (of course if availability and situation fits) and bring their family with them? Once again, thanks to all of you for the wealth of information and fantastic feedback given always.

Comment

As far as I know, deployments you won't be taking family with you. This is my experience growing up with a parent in the Air National Guard. If you wanted to be stationed in Germany or Japan, I believe you would need to look at going Active Duty vs National Guard.

Comment

Something I just thought of; why would I need to go through AIT if I am planning on going through OCS? Wouldn't I skip AIT and go to OCS as an 09S?

Comment

You will need to be able to obtain a 'Secret' security clearance in order to attend OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                You will need to be able to obtain a 'Secret' security clearance in order to attend OCS.
                This. And this would be a hang up if you are not a US citizen. It makes sense that the recruiter is trying to push you in the direction of enlist first, get through basic and AIT then after you are sworn in as a US citizen you can apply for OCS. It is a little bit longer path to becoming an officer but it would appear to have far less bumps along the way and much greater chance at success in achieving your end goal.

Comment

I am also in the kind of same situation, but my recruiter told me the process of getting citizenship is around 1-2 yrs. Are sure you can get citizenship right after BCT? If yes then please do give me some info about it.
                  Regards
                  Roop

Comment

Sorry for taking long to reply, but my new baby came a few days earlier than programmed and I have been having a thousand things to deal with.
                    Yes, my recruiter told me that after basic they'll have a ceremony and give me the citizenship and that one of his colleagues just had two new recruits going through the same thing. Now, it might be that I have been eligible to become a citizen for almost five years now, so I do not know if that is a factor. Also, my green card expires in Feb. 2013, so that might be another factor why they are (seemingly) willing to put me on a fast track. Now, that is my experience, and what my recruiter told me, cannot guarantee that is the same across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Samponiato View Post
                      Sorry for taking long to reply, but my new baby came a few days earlier than programmed and I have been having a thousand things to deal with.
                      Yes, my recruiter told me that after basic they'll have a ceremony and give me the citizenship and that one of his colleagues just had two new recruits going through the same thing. Now, it might be that I have been eligible to become a citizen for almost five years now, so I do not know if that is a factor. Also, my green card expires in Feb. 2013, so that might be another factor why they are (seemingly) willing to put me on a fast track. Now, that is my experience, and what my recruiter told me, cannot guarantee that is the same across the board.

Congratulations on the new baby! And the news from your recruiter. Keep us posted on how the process goes!

Comment

Originally posted by rupinderhayer View Post
                        I am also in the kind of same situation, but my recruiter told me the process of getting citizenship is around 1-2 yrs. Are sure you can get citizenship right after BCT? If yes then please do give me some info about it.
                        Regards
                        Roop
                        I'm sure a lot is on an individual basis. I have a friend who joined the Army and was sworn in as a US citizen at the end of AIT. So it is possible but I don't know that that is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                          Congratulations on the new baby! And the news from your recruiter. Keep us posted on how the process goes!
                          Thank you! I will keep you all posted.

Comment

Update. Last night my recruiter called me and informed me that I needed to call another sergeant and have a sort of "interview" with him, since if enlisted, I would be going to his infantry unit and this is the person who would sign my waiver. So I called this morning around 8:15am and have a short conversation with this other SGT. He asked me why I wanted to do infantry and if I have any physical issues. Told him everything and at the end he said that I sounded "legit" so he told me that my recruiter needed to contact him and he would sign my contract. So I called my recruiter and gave him the news and he said everything is taken care of and that I only need to wait just a bit more, but that was the last signature needed. So it seems as I will be enlisting soon as an 11B. Requested to ship out some time in October so I can give my wife time to adapt to managing the new baby and older daughter. I know it will be rough on them being alone for so long, but I am grateful they will go through the sacrifice to support me.

Comment

Working...
                            X