X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13b Cannon Crewmember

I'd very much appreciate any info from those that have done it or know about it. The good and the bad, from AIT to life in Deployment under this MOS. How long is the AIT, and is there a break between Basic and the AIT? Please do not copy and paste general info on this MOS from the NG sites or the Army site. I want to hear actual insight from the men/women who do/perform this MOS.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Re: 13b Cannon Crewmember

I have seen now that there is no break between the basic and AIT, but all other info would be appreciated.

Comment

basic and AIT together is 15 weeks. It's very hard work, but fun. I did it for my first 6 years of enlistment.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        basic and AIT together is 15 weeks. It's very hard work, but fun. I did it for my first 6 years of enlistment.
        I have been told its a very physical mos, what exactly makes it very hard work?

Comment

Blue, it really depends on the type of unit. 155 mm units are a lot of work as the rounds are heavy and working with the guns is a lot of work. 105 mm units aren't so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            Blue, it really depends on the type of unit. 155 mm units are a lot of work as the rounds are heavy and working with the guns is a lot of work. 105 mm units aren't so bad.
            Thank you for your replies in both threads.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwEre-y3yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKc4WhU10o

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                I'll be darned sir! I went through AIT on a 155 and then had 105 at my unit. I'll take the 155 any day over driving stakes around the 105.

The reason it is very physical is because you have to carry around heavy rounds and also have to drive long thick stakes into the ground.

Comment

I was a 0811 when I was in the Marines (13B equivalent) and while it takes some getting used to I liked it a lot, you'll gain upper body stregnth to be sure. Right now I'm waiting on my medical waiver to clear for my VA dissability so I can get to my unit. I'm not sure if the ARNG arty has the M777 yet but that howitzer made everything about artillery about 50% better compared to the M198.

As for Ft. Sill, it can get pretty cold during the winter and uncomfortably hot during the summer, but they had the best chow hall of any base I've ever been on. Lawton is probably the saddest town that I've ever been to as well, absolutely nothing to do there when I was there in '04.

Comment

Love it! Thanks for the vid's.

Comment

Think I may have chosen 13b over 92y.

Comment

Working...
                      X