Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Guard and the chance of deployment?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Guard and the chance of deployment?

Originally posted by rtparnell View Post
    I know there is no predicting the timing of a deployment, but is there any average duration? Does it vary according to MOS? My boyfriend is in OSUT at Benning for a 19D MOS, and has a 6yr contract. I know it wont be just the once a month and two weeks in the summer, but I really have no idea what to expect. I am with him all the way, no matter what (and after 6yrs together, I mean that), but I am a planner, and so I want to mentally ready myself for this "adventure in my relationship" (as a Naval Academy mom put it for me).

Sorry if I bungled any terms or acronyms; I'm new at this!
    That's great that you want to be "prepared" for whatever the future holds. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee if or when a Soldier will get deployed. If history is any indication, you can expect that deployments can last from 6 months to 18 months, roughly. With that being said, our overseas missions have changed dramatically, and it's less and less likely that NG Soldiers enlisting now will have to deploy any time soon. I think Cityslicker said it best. As a NG Soldier, you can expect your boyfriend to be around. I'm not sure if you've taken the time to look at the FAQ section on the National Guard website, but there's some good insight for family members. Here's a link if you're interested: http://bit.ly/L9Yeqr. Good luck!

Comment

Re: National Guard and the chance of deployment?

Originally posted by rtparnell View Post
      I know there is no predicting the timing of a deployment, but is there any average duration? Does it vary according to MOS? My boyfriend is in OSUT at Benning for a 19D MOS, and has a 6yr contract. I know it wont be just the once a month and two weeks in the summer, but I really have no idea what to expect. I am with him all the way, no matter what (and after 6yrs together, I mean that), but I am a planner, and so I want to mentally ready myself for this "adventure in my relationship" (as a Naval Academy mom put it for me).

Sorry if I bungled any terms or acronyms; I'm new at this!
      The Army's current deployment duration goals for conventional NG units is one year from pre-mobalization to de-mobalization with about 9 months time in combat theater. Its a goal not a law, so some mileage may vary. Last time I deployed it was 16 months from pre to de with 12 months time in combat theater. The current deployment tempo for conventional NG units is 5 years. So 4 years of train up and then in the last year of the 5 year cycle deployment. Again, this is a goal and not a law. There are units that have deployed more often then that and there are those that have deployed less often then that. But at the very least you should expect at least one deployment in a 6 year enlistment, and not be suprised if there are two.

Comment

Working...
      X